It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Global Warming Real or Not? [SURVEY]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I am attempting a survey of ATS members, to see what the majority of my respected fellow members think. If you would please answer these 2 questions:

Do you believe that global warming, or it's new name 'climate change' is and has been taking place?

Do you think that global warming is a natural occurence, or man made?

Thanks in advance guys, we are the biggest skeptics on the internet, and from many other debates on ATS I think most on here see it as a scam to gain money and not a real event, I would like this survey to show what the majority really think. This will be very interesting!

[edit on 6-4-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Gee, I was hoping this woud begin to get responses before I get off work in the morning.......

Let me just say that I do believe in global warming, and that it is increasing in activity, but I think it is not man made, it is a natural and repeating occurence.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I think it is happening but I'm definitely not convinced humans are the main cause behind it.

I think the Earth goes through these cycles naturally and greenhouse gasses probably make SOME contribution but either way I do believe we need to cut down on our emissions and consumption of fossil fuels and simply be more efficient with our energy use.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
i also think global warming is 100% happening and i think its 100% natural too. all the other planets are proven to be heating up too.

unless ET's are living on other planets, driving ET Hummers, using ET coal power plants, etc then i stick to my opinion!!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Global warming may be real.

But its not caused by man. And man can not stop it no mater what they do.

I know too many scientists around China Lake research labs that just laugh when people talk about man made CO2 causing global warming.
The navy does a lot of alternative power research at china lake and the base is powered by geothermal power from on the base.

geology.about.com...
www.navair.navy.mil...
en.wikipedia.org...

They ether don't believe in it or its a secret government project.

I have yet to find a china lake scientist that claims to believe that man is causing global warming. And by the way they work for the government not the oil companies

[edit on 6-4-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Yes I believe it

Do I believe that we humans take a part in it, you bet! People say its egotistical to say that we are causing all these issues on our own but to deny we have any effect is silly to me.

Example:

The earth is like a bus hanging over a cliff currently and mother nature does a decent job of making us not go off the cliff but at the same point she is doing enough to make us almost go over also. We are like a tiny mouse that is crawling towards the cliff side of the bus and even though we aren't huge its enough to help have a big effect. Can the little mouse cause the small amount of needed shift to cause it to go over? I'm betting we will see soon enough.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Yes, I do believe global warming is taking place. (Relative to our human time scale and life span.)

As to it being man made or not, I say in the ideology of the fictional mathematician 'Ian Malcolm', we can never know for sure.

Honestly, we cannot say we have enough measurement equipment set up around the globe and/or have been measuring the temperature for long enough to say more than a guess.

Though ultimately spraying a bunch of toxic waste in the air and environment can't really result in anything good, than again I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I believe in climate change but I do not believe that human's are causing it.

To put it bluntly... human's have a huge ego and we like to stroke it.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Great start to this! I am about to end my shift, I hope the responses keep up! So far the majority does beleive it is real, and not man made.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Global warming

Climate change

Fragile Earth

Call it what you want!

The facts are that Earth has had major and minor Eco changes throughout its history. In geological terms Mankind is a newcomer to such things.

Have 6.7 Billion people contributed to a change? I will say yes! Will this lead to the destruction of Earth? No! Again the Earth will survive but will it be an Earth mankind can survive on?

Whether these are changes that happen naturally over time or whether man has contributed to a change is really irrelevant what’s really important is what can we do for our children and grandchildren?

This argument over what to call it or what is causing it is like having our house on fire and instead of doing something about it, we are all standing around arguing whether it was a lightning strike or was it the coffee pot that short circuited and do nothing to put out the fire.

There have been ice ages in the past and then massive melt offs and possible meteorite or comet impacts that caused massive extinctions nobody argues that those events have not happened. We could be in the middle of a cycle that has been happening for billions of years.

We should stop arguing over what it's called and whats causing it. The dinosaurs died off and I'm pretty sure to them their idea [if they had any] of the Earth was destroyed as they knew it. I think we are headed for a massive change!

How soon and to what extent? Nobody really knows. We can run computer simulations all we want and they can be pretty accurate, heck those types of simulations are what got us to the moon! So I think they are pretty valid again what can we do about it?

I'll tell you right now that a carbon tax or whatever they want to call it won’t do squat! What we need to do is get off the freaking fossil fuel kick! If anything else we could all breath a little easier!

Hey people the house is on fire!

[edit on 6-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I believe it is happening and I don't believe man has any material impact on it.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
yes it is real, yes it is man made.

this natural cycle stuff doesn't hold up, it's just more of the PTB trying to muddy the waters enough so that people can justify their irresponsibility to themselves.

pumping gasses into the atmosphere that aren't normally there and believing it does nothing because the people who profit from you pumping those gasses into the atmosphere tell you it does nothing is idiotic.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

pumping gasses into the atmosphere that aren't normally there and believing it does nothing because the people who profit from you pumping those gasses into the atmosphere tell you it does nothing is idiotic.

AGW/Climate Change theory is largely (if not completely) based on CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

So you are saying that CO2 isn't normally found in the atmosphere?

CO2 occurs naturally in the atmosphere, and has been present at MUCH higher concentrations in the past, than it is now, with NO greenhouse effects.

CO2 is not even a potent "greenhouse gas"

Much more potent is methane, and even water vapour - both of which occur naturally in the atmosphere.

I would suggest a little research is in order before saying "pumping gasses into the atmosphere that aren't normally there and believing it does nothing because the people who profit from you pumping those gasses into the atmosphere tell you it does nothing is idiotic." as this type of statement makes only one person look "idiotic"

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Co2 is a trace gas, comprising only .03% of the atmosphere.

I do believe global warming is real, and I also believe man has an impact on it. To what extent, I do not know. I think conspiracy buffs like to portray it as a money making scheme, as if carbon offset credits are a billion dollar a year industry, which they are not (to my knowledge, anyhow).

How do we fix global warming? I don't think creating carbon taxes are a good solution. Especially the suggestion to cap emissions by giving a monopoly of carbon credits to the existing biggest carbon polluters, and letting them sell their credits to everyone else who needs to use them.

So to sum up, in my opinion: Yes it's real. Yes we're adding to it. No, we should not tax it.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
AGW/Climate Change theory is largely (if not completely) based on CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

So you are saying that CO2 isn't normally found in the atmosphere?

i am saying that the CO2, among other things, that human activity is currently releasing into the atmosphere wouldn't naturally be there were humans not releasing it.

CO2 occurs naturally in the atmosphere, and has been present at MUCH higher concentrations in the past, than it is now, with NO greenhouse effects.
when?

CO2 is not even a potent "greenhouse gas"
how so? provide some proof of that, if you please.

Much more potent is methane, and even water vapour - both of which occur naturally in the atmosphere.
and both of which human activity is increasing. note, i said gasses, this is because i meant gasses plural, as in more than just the much lauded CO2.

I would suggest a little research is in order before saying "pumping gasses into the atmosphere that aren't normally there and believing it does nothing because the people who profit from you pumping those gasses into the atmosphere tell you it does nothing is idiotic." as this type of statement makes only one person look "idiotic"

i suggest you read what i said and reply to that instead of using the script you have been programmed to reply with.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Do some research of your own - it's easy to find.

Frankly I'm fed up doing peoples research for them - especially when they seem to belong to the church of gore, and mindlessly spout the fecal matter he put forth as truth in AIT.

FYI, I am and have been for many years, a member of greenpeace, so it's not like I don't care about pollution etc so for you to talk about programming is not only wrong, it's hypocritical.

www.junkscience.com...

One point apparently causing confusion among our readers is the relative abundance of CO2 in the atmosphere today as compared with Earth's historical levels. Most people seem surprised when we say current levels are relatively low, at least from a long-term perspective - understandable considering the constant media/activist bleat about current levels being allegedly "catastrophically high." Even more express surprise that Earth is currently suffering one of its chilliest episodes in about six hundred million (600,000,000) years.
Given that the late Ordovician suffered an ice age (with associated mass extinction) while atmospheric CO2 levels were more than 4,000ppm higher than those of today (yes, that's a full order of magnitude higher), levels at which current 'guesstimations' of climate sensitivity to atmospheric CO2 suggest every last skerrick of ice should have been melted off the planet, we admit significant scepticism over simplistic claims of small increment in atmospheric CO2 equating to toasted planet. Granted, continental configuration now is nothing like it was then, Sol's irradiance differs, as do orbits, obliquity, etc., etc. but there is no obvious correlation between atmospheric CO2 and planetary temperature over the last 600 million years, so why would such relatively tiny amounts suddenly become a critical factor now?

source

Also, temperatures have been dropping steadily for the last few years, "coincidentally" since the solar maximum - we are now at a solar minimum.

Like I said, research - the above took me all of 2 minutes

And stop believing the bullplop given to you by MSM and chancers like gore who are just out to make fast cash.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
oh ffs, first of all, i said gasses......as in more than CO2. you're restriction of the argument to CO2 suggests that you are having a pre-programmed, scripted argument. why is my pointing that out hypocritical?

as regards the information about the late ordovican ice age with co2 levels of 4000 ppm, a quick look on wiki unearths the fact that

"As the Ordovician progressed, we see evidence of glaciers on the land we now know as Africa and South America. At the time these land masses were sitting at the South Pole, and covered by ice caps."
i guess that's what your source meant by "continental configuration now is nothing like it was then", that says a ton about the credibility of your source.

CO2 levels are not the only influencing factor on athmospheric conditions but they do have an impact, as do all the other gasses we are pumping out.

lets get down to brass tacks, greenhouse gas levels haven't been this high during human habitation of the planet, humans have not evolved to cope with greenhouse gas levels this high, neither has any of the other animals on the planet. we are increasing the levels faster than most life can adapt to those changes.

this is not a good thing, it is not a neutral thing, it is a bad thing.
i can't say for sure how bad it is, exactly, or in what way, exactly, but it is bad no matter what way you slice and dice the history of the planet.

at one point the crust of the earth was molten, while it is a natural state for the earth it is'nt all that good for us.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
oh ffs, first of all, i said gasses......as in more than CO2. you're restriction of the argument to CO2 suggests that you are having a pre-programmed, scripted argument. why is my pointing that out hypocritical?

CO2 levels are not the only influencing factor on athmospheric conditions but they do have an impact, as do all the other gasses we are pumping out.

lets get down to brass tacks, greenhouse gas levels haven't been this high during human habitation of the planet, humans have not evolved to cope with greenhouse gas levels this high, neither has any of the other animals on the planet. we are increasing the levels faster than most life can adapt to those changes.

this is not a good thing, it is not a neutral thing, it is a bad thing.
i can't say for sure how bad it is, exactly, or in what way, exactly, but it is bad no matter what way you slice and dice the history of the planet.

Pre-programmed is exactly what your responses are - if you have proof about the "history of the planet" then post it, meanwhile, the hot air you are blowing contributes to climate change

I tire of this inanity - it's the same tired old rubbish without a shred of credible evidence, perpetrated by the church of gore and its acolytes.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
if you have proof about the "history of the planet" then post it.

proof? in what respect? proof that the crust was once molten, proof that CO2 levels are higher than during human habitation, proof of what, exactly. what is it you're disputing?

I tire of this inanity - it's the same tired old rubbish without a shred of credible evidence, perpetrated by the church of gore and its acolytes.

i'm not al gore, i'm not an acolyte of his, how about you respond to me when you reply to me instead of responding to what you wish i was saying.

[edit on 6/4/09 by pieman]

eye rolling emotions are fast becoming an acceptable alternative for clever rhetoric by some members, perhaps it's time to kill the little fella in the interests of debate.

[edit on 6/4/09 by pieman]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Climate change: YES

Cause by humans? :
NO way, Jose'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join