It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the earth move and rotate on its axis?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by Salt of the Earth

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
As a previous poster said, shuttle launches are time precisely with rotations of our planet and so are Satellites.

Whether the earth rotates or the sun rotates, this does not affect the calculations. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Haha, wrong. It DOES affect the calculations, significantly. The shuttle launches generally eastward (somewhat north-east generally to match planes with the target orbit) and from a low latitutde to use the earth's rotation to its advantage; it takes less additional velocity to reach orbit when you go along with the rotation of the earth.
www.physicsforums.com...
If the earth wasn't rotating, the shuttle would not be producing enough delta V (change in velocity) to reach orbit and it would burn up or crash well before completing a single orbit.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by ngchunter]

Do you make this stuff up as you go along? Or do you just read it off your NASA cheat sheet? The shuttle uses the rotation of the earth to get it moving and if it didn't it would crash? And Airy's Failure has been disproved and it's not taught anymore? Have they also decided not to teach the experiments which disproved spontaneous generation? So I guess airplanes get better mileage then when they are going with the "rotation?"

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Salt of the Earth

Jeez!!! That is NOT what hunter said! The rotational velocity of the earth is higher the closer you get to the Equator. This provides an extra impetus when launching into orbit....last time I checked, airplanes don't orbit. So, no....an airplane doesn't get better (ahem) 'mileage', as you sneered.

You are so fond of that Airy fairy-tale...why not do some real research and look into experiments conducted with atomic clocks to prove an aspect of Einstein's equations regarding time and motion? It can be proven that a clock at the Equator measure time more slowly than an identical clock nearer the poles. Wanna know why? Because the World is rotating!

Meh!!! Why do I care? I have no vested interest in changing anyone's mind, I just don't wish to see other impressionable people fall for the claptrap that is known as the 'bible'....

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333
reply to post by chan_chap

This thread has to be a joke. It ranks right up there with people who argue for a flat earth!

WHAT!........ The earth is NOT flat?????

My life has been a lie AAHHHHHH!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhackerwhy not do some real research

If God had wanted us to do research he would have given us NSF grants.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

You are so fond of that Airy fairy-tale...why not do some real research and look into experiments conducted with atomic clocks to prove an aspect of Einstein's equations regarding time and motion? It can be proven that a clock at the Equator measure time more slowly than an identical clock nearer the poles. Wanna know why? Because the World is rotating!

The bulge at the equator does not prove the earth is turning at all. It could be the turning of the aether and its contents pulling out the equator, which it indeed is.

Experiments have proved the aether exists, even though Einstein just wished it away, literally. But facts are facts, and experiments prove the aether exists, and that the earth is not turning at all.

Check out this video: (the link is in the page, which you may want to read also)

homepage.ntlworld.com...

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Salt of the Earth]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Goestationary Satilites have answered this question. The Earth rotates.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Salt....Reading Is Fundamental...RIF

Please find a point where I said ANYTHING about an Equatorial bulge!!

The proof of the earth's rotation can be demonstrated by using atomic clocks. I mention Einstein because it also validates parts of his Special Theory of Relativity.

But unless you're just punking everyone to get a laugh, then there seems to be no reason to try to educate you. Truly....it is one thing to have a faith, it is another to be so deep down blinded by the faith that you reject common sensical rational thinking.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Goestationary Satilites have answered this question. The Earth rotates.

Check out this link: www.freelists.org...

Geostationary-Satellites,6

At exactly 22.000 miles (35.900. km) above the equator, the earth's force of gravity is canceled by the centrifugal force of the rotating universe. This is the ideal location to park a stationary satellite.

The signal to the satellite is very, very precise and any movement of the satellite would cause a loss of the signal. Sun outages affect a geostationary satellite Geostationary satellites are fantastic means of communication except for one little problem called SUN OUTAGES. These sun outages happen during March and September when the sun passes the equator. Here is a quote from the book Satellite Technology: "The elevated temperature of the sun causes it to transmit a high-level electrical noise signal to receiving systems whenever it passes behind the satellite and comes within the beams of the receiver antennas. The increase in noise is so severe that a signal outage usually results. The length and number of the outages depends on the latitude of the earth station and the diameter of the antenna. At an average latitude of 40° in the continental United States, and a 10-meter antenna, the outages occur over 6 days with a maximum duration of 8 minutes each day. With a less directional 3-meter antenna, the outages occur over 15 days, with a maximum duration of 24 minutes."(Satellite Technology, p. 13). This is obviously very embarrassing to the heliocentric people because the sun is not supposed to move. The sun does move however and twice a year it is over the equator.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Please find a point where I said ANYTHING about an Equatorial bulge!!

You did not. Sorry. You just implied it by saying that it was turning faster than the rest and giving an extra "launch power" to the shuttle. The heliocentric 'proof' that the equater is turning faster is it's bulge, but it can just as much be used as a proof for geocentrism.

And whether a plane or shuttle is orbiting or just traveling halfway around the earth is irrelevant to the claim that the rotation gives added thrust and velocity. If it can do it for an orbit, it can do it for a 'partial orbit' plane trip.

And it does neither.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

"This is obviously very embarrassing to the heliocentric people because the sun is not supposed to move. The sun does move however and twice a year it is over the equator."

Relative motion, Herr von Braun, relative motion. From the perspective of the mudfooted apes infesting the Earth's outer skin, it appears that the Sun is moving. However, everybody that made it through the 8th year of school learned why this is not so. (Home schooled hot-house kids excepted, of course.)

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Relative motion, Herr von Braun, relative motion. From the perspective of the mudfooted apes infesting the Earth's outer skin, it appears that the Sun is moving. However, everybody that made it through the 8th year of school learned why this is not so.

Right. You learned it was not so because somebody else came up with another idea that the teachers and books said is the correct one.

But they were wrong.

Check it out. The Bible is right, and Copernicus and Galileo and Einstein are wrong. Einstein even claims there's no aether, bsaed on his say-so, even though the physics prove him wrong.

PS: The GPS satellites use geocentric model to calculate their shots. Every so-called proof devised to prove heliocentrism can be turned around to prove geocentrism. However, there are proofs the geocentrist position has that cannot be turned around to prove the opposite.

There is more proof for geocentrism than heliocentrism. Heliocentrism is just a theory, and it falls short on the physics and what we actually observe.

The universe is not the way Arthur C. Clark and Einstein picture it to be. There is such a thing as aether, and this changes the whole entire picture.

The universe is as the Bible describes it to be. The earth is at the center of the universe, it does not rotate, does not hurtle through space around the sun. God hung the earth in space and set the sun moon and stars in their paths.

Check out the links. Just remember all the lies you've been told and consider that the world's system has sold you another whopper, about the spinning orbiting earth "lost in space" in a cosmos teeming with life and someday we can fly around and visit the creatures who live on other star systems just like Captain Kirk and his intergalactic crew.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

"The BuyBull is right." End of story. Mind closed. No entry.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Salt, do you not have access to Wikipedia?

Do you have satellite TV? Cable TV? Ever seen the History Channel? The Discovery Channel? ANY science programs of any real kind?

For instance, right now, in North America on the History Channel is a program called 'Forbidden Books of the Bible'.

It's focused more on the 'new' testament....and the politics involved with just what was included. Ever heard of the Book of Lilith????

Of course, we'll just have to brush aside all of the magical claims, the discrepancies and the contradictions rampant in these stories....

AND, finally....the allegories, and their mistranslations that crept in for thousands of years (talking about 'old' testament now) ... mistranslations, and copying errors. Translate from Aramaic, possibly included some Ancient Egyptian, into Greek, then Latin...over and over again...finaly, you see the English versions. I once saw, on a bookshelf, a 'plain language' bible....it looked like bible "lite" as I flipped through it. YOU probably would have flipped your lid.....

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Salt, do you not have access to Wikipedia?

Do you have satellite TV? Cable TV? Ever seen the History Channel? The Discovery Channel? ANY science programs of any real kind?

For instance, right now, in North America on the History Channel is a program called 'Forbidden Books of the Bible'.

It's focused more on the 'new' testament....and the politics involved with just what was included. Ever heard of the Book of Lilith????

Of course, we'll just have to brush aside all of the magical claims, the discrepancies and the contradictions rampant in these stories....

AND, finally....the allegories, and their mistranslations that crept in for thousands of years (talking about 'old' testament now) ... mistranslations, and copying errors. Translate from Aramaic, possibly included some Ancient Egyptian, into Greek, then Latin...over and over again...finaly, you see the English versions. I once saw, on a bookshelf, a 'plain language' bible....it looked like bible "lite" as I flipped through it. YOU probably would have flipped your lid.....

You shouldn't believe everything the Luciferians spoonfeed you on their controlled media. Of course they tear down the Bible. What did you expect? They are devil worshippers. But you just sit there and let them massage your brain and do your thinking for you. Book of Lilith -- that's Satanic. That name Lilith is associated with Cabala, with occult, with Satanism.

You like that stuff because you let them think for you. They want you to hate the Bible and worship their alchemy and global warming and eugenics crap. Wake up and save yourself and others before it's too late.

Did you catch the new thread of how the government is shipping bird flu all over the country, paying truckers big bucks in cash to transport it? All coming out of NYS? Won't we all look nice in our nice blue plastic coffins the government bought for us. Wake up. These people are killers, and liars, and scammers.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

There is no 'Lucifer'. There is no organized 'cabal' of what you claim.

I'm sorry, but ranting about the alleged 'aether' in the 'heavens' that hold everything together doesn't make it true.

You see....you, and the small, small percentage of people who believe this stuff are a true minority.

I'm actually a little frightened by you...NOT by what you believe, but by YOU.

Any kind of dogmatic 'certainty' such as you display teeters dangerously close to 'cultish' in its intensity.

Not saying it's like Jim Jomes, David Koresh, Mormanism or Scientology in its 'cult' leanings....but it is truly disturbing.

To deny science is to deny yourself all of the benefits that come about because of science. The mere fact that you are typing on a computer and using the internet to communicate shows that your are not truly as firm in your convictions as you think. Cast off all the trappings of modern science, immediately! Live exactly the way people did 6,000 years ago....otherwise, you are being hypocritical.....

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

There is no 'Lucifer'. There is no organized 'cabal' of what you claim.

Right. The government is good, it's here to help us, and the huge shipments of live bird flu that are being sent out from NYS all over the country are because they love us and want to share a loving gift.

I'm sure you'll be the first in line to roll up your sleeve and offer to take the shot and/or to hop on the train heading off to Camp FEMA.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Here ya go, a much better education in just ten minutes than I could ever possibly accomplish in ten thousand years of typing....

Enjoy!!!

(ps) I recommend the entire series...at least ten parts (maybe twelve?)

This is only Part 3.

*edit*....just follow the links....

[edit on 4/11/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Do you make this stuff up as you go along? Or do you just read it off your NASA cheat sheet? The shuttle uses the rotation of the earth to get it moving and if it didn't it would crash?

Is that what I said? No, I said the shuttle's delta-v requirements are reduced by capitalizing on the rotation of the earth which is why they launch near the equator and to the east. If the earth were not rotating then the velocity that they achieve with the shuttle would be insufficient to reach orbit, not to "get them moving." They would end up crashing before completing an orbit, but they would definately get moving at first. In short, your assertion that it does not affect the calculations is founded in complete ignorance and dead wrong. You should download that simulator link I gave you earlier and find out what happens when you try to launch the shuttle in the wrong direction so that you don't take advantage of the earth's rotation; it crashes, even faster with a heavy payload.

And Airy's Failure has been disproved and it's not taught anymore?

Is that what I said? No, I said you clearly refuse to understand the reason why Airy failed, or why the star gamma draconis moves in an ellipse over the course of a year (naturally, because if you understood the abberation of light concept you'd have to accept that the earth orbited the sun).

So I guess airplanes get better mileage then when they are going with the "rotation?"

Like weedwacker said, airplanes aren't trying to reach orbit, so they don't particularly care if the orbital speed requirement is lessened on an eastbound flight. That said, airplanes do get an indirect benefit from the rotation of the earth on eastbound flights from the jet stream, which is created by the coriolis effect. That's why a flight from california to new york is shorter than an identical trip from new york to california.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

This is obviously very embarrassing to the heliocentric people because the sun is not supposed to move. The sun does move however and twice a year it is over the equator.

I believe it was back on page 1 where I debunked this straw man nonsense. In short, the sun DOES move according to heliocentrism; it orbits the solar system's barycenter. Also, because the earth orbits the sun, the sun will always appear to move against the background of stars in a path known as the ecliptic, taking roughly 365.25 days to complete the motion once, and when it reaches the point where the ecliptic intersects the orbital plane of our geostationary satellites the sun will appear behind each satellite once a day for a few minutes, essentially "talking over" the satellite's signal. This nonsense that the sun doesn't move or appear to move in the heliocentric model is dependent on one's ignorance of basic astronomy. You can see a great demonstration of the sun's apparent motion against the stars as we orbit it using this program:
www.shatters.net...
And before you say it Salt, no I'm not a disinfo agent, I don't have a NASA cheat sheet, I'm just a regular guy with a lot of experience observing the heavens.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

exactly, hunter....the JetStream over North America varies in velocity depending on Season...stronger in Winter, less so in Summer...and in between. Also, the altitude varies too....lower in Winter, most intense, higher in Summer...and farther North, usually...but not always....

Anyway, the prevailing winds over the USA are usually from West to East.

Flights are planned to either take advantage of, or attempt to mitigate the effects of those winds. The are not static, they are ever variable.

The rotation of the Earth is just but one component of how the atmosphere is affected. The body of the Earth had the mass, and momentum, to keep turning...conservation of angular momentum, and all that scientific stuff.

The atmosphere...the air we live in and rely on for life....is as thin when compared to the diameter of the Earth as the skin of an apple is when compared to the diameter of that fruit....this is just a way to visualize the fragility of our atmosphere.

Certainly, the fact of the rotation of the Earth is readily evident by the reaction of this thin atmosphere. The term 'Coriolis Effect' seems to have lost on some people who have posted recently....I could direct people to look it up, but instead, here's a preview: Due to the rotation of the Earth below the atmosphere...there is a certain, for want of a better term, 'slippage' that occurs.

Please look at any meteorological chart or graph, and you will see that in the Northern hemisphere a 'low' pressure meteorological weather system will rotate counter-clockwise. Conversely, a High-pressure system will rotate clockwise. The low-pressure systems are the ones that produce the most severe weather....and, sometimes, if bounded by high-pressure events, the lows can get ramped up....

(In the Southern hemisphere, just reverse direction...that's why a 'Typhoon' South of the Equator is really the same as a 'Hurricane' North of the Equator). Of course, these are just terms. But when educated, you can begin to understand. AND, the prevalence of these storms relies quite a bit on the underlying geography....they usually get their energy from the Oceans....and steering currents in the atmosphere will either direct them towards landfall, or steer back to Sea....to hopefully dissipate eventually.

ALL of this relies on, and is driven by, the fact that the Earth rotates.

Only a completly stubborn individual would deny, in the face of undeniable observations to the contrary, and supported by volumes of evidence, this fact.

*edit*....and I am certainly not directing that last sentence towards you, hunter!!!

[edit on 4/12/0909 by weedwhacker]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join