It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inspirational Quotes of Encouragement!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Please take a moment to read this collection of ideas and principals. These quotes were given us by the great and the not so great men through history. They are here to remind us of necessary obligations we owe to ourselves, as well as, our brothers everywhere.

Feel free to add to this list as you see fit.

Enjoy!

“Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.”

-Thomas Jefferson

“I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”

-James Madison, 1788

“If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its
freedom, and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that
it values more, it will lose that too.”

-W. Somerset Maugham

“That government is best which governs least, because its people
discipline themselves.”

-Thomas Jefferson

“The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists
it.”

-John Hay, 1872

“Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the
government's purposes are beneficent.”

-Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, in a 1928 decision

“Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come
from the subjects of it. The history of Liberty is a history of
resistance. The history of Liberty is a history of limitations of
Governmental power, not the increase of it.”

-Woodrow Wilson

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the
masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and
its speaker a raving lunatic.”

-Dresden James

“The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything. Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this, and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands.”

-Oscar Wilde

“The poorest man is not the one without a cent, but the one without a
dream.”

-unknown

“America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.”

-Claire Wolfe, 1995-Nov

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.”

-John F. Kennedy, 1962

“We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed”

-Thomas Jefferson

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility
of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your
chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget
that ye were our countrymen.”

-Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of
authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was
made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions.
There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean
to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be
masters.”

-Daniel Webster

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Ben Franklin

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Great quotes. I wish we currently had people in positions of authority or influence that would come up with a real gem or two similar to these you posted. I envision a time in the near future when quotes such as these will be considered subversive.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Great quotes. I wish we currently had people in positions of authority or influence that would come up with a real gem or two similar to these you posted. I envision a time in the near future when quotes such as these will be considered subversive.

I agree. Unfortunately, the above quotes are not what we get from modern leadership.

We get this BS?

“The American people are tired of liars and people who pretend to be something they're not.”

-Hillary Clinton, 1992 60 Minutes interview

“If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.”

-President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993

“Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do and how you do it.”

-Rudolph Giuliani, mayor of New York City

“The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit longer.”

-Henry Kissinger

“84 percent of Americans believe God answers their prayers. More than half believe in miracles.”

-Fox News, 2000-Apr-22

“America is a nation ... that values our relationship with an Almighty. [...] The declaration of God in the Pledge of Allegiance doesn't violate rights. As a matter of fact, it's a confirmation of the fact that we received our rights from God, as proclaimed in our Declaration of Independence.”

-George W. Bush, 2002-Jun-26

Truly, wisdom is dead!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
“Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do and how you do it.”

-Rudolph Giuliani, mayor of New York City

Rudy, why didn't you just say it as simply as George Orwell? "Freedom is slavery". Would that have been too obvious?

For the good stuff, I really like Albert Einstein.

www.quotesdaddy.com...

"The flag is a symbol of the fact that man is still a herd animal"

"If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies... it would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it."

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once".

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either".

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him a spinal cord would suffice."

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity: and I'm not sure about the universe."

"The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view."

"Never do anything against conscience, even if the state demands it."

top topics

join