It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Baby Mice Born to 2 Moms, No Dad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
In the latest scientific breakthrough, Japanese scientists have proven that mammals can reproduce without the necessity of fertilization. By combining two sets of female mouse genes inside an egg, 2 healthy baby girl mice have been born.

Look! No Dad!

Experts said it will be a long time before men are relegated to the role of bystanders in human reproduction. But the latest experiments suggest that laboratory tricks can essentially eliminate the need for fertilization -- at least in mice.

"Two female mice were created in the experiments at Japan's Tokyo University of Agriculture. One of the mice, named "Kaguya," has been raised to adulthood, has mated normally and has given birth to a litter of pups free of any obvious birth defects. The results are reported today in the journal Nature. "

This has the potential to create a huge battle between the sexes, not to mention all the ethical, moral, and legal issues. What will happen if the need for men as a requirement in the reproductive process becomes threatened? How will it affect the male-female social structure?

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
good story witht the link and all.. but it's covered...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
good story witht the link and all.. but it's covered...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry, we must have been typing at the same time.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sorry, I didn't see it on the board and the news site I got the link from, said it was breaking news so I thought it could go on ATSNN. Oh well!

new topics

top topics

join