It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramids not mentioned in the Bible?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

There are other ancient sources aside from the bible that do mention the pyramids.

If you are interested in researching it, Antipater of Sidon, 1st half of the 2nd century writes about the 7 wonders in the collection of poetry known as the Anthologia Palatina.
Herodotus wrote of them after visiting the pyramids about 2700 years after they were built.
Medieval Arab Scholars also mention them, so it leads me to think that they Jews didnt see them, because those who did, tended to write about it.

I cant answer your question regarding the point of them, because thats a BIG debate on ATS, were they a tomb or something else? There are other threads debating their purpose.

There are construction prototypes for the pyramids, they practiced a few times, though some would argue that the step pyramid and the crooked pyramid are trying to copy to the large pyramid, but that may not ever be proven I'm afraid. The prototype of the step pyramid of Djoser has the name of the architect and engineer Imhotep.

Tombs were on the other side of the nile, it was religious practice. You lived on 1 side and buried your dead on the other. They rarely crossed over unless to raid them.

Remember the Jews did NOT build them nor were they in Egypt around that time, that is a myth.
There is limited evidence of Jews in Egypt. Some of the first-ever phonetic writing is found in Egypt in a cave calling to 1 god but it is debatable that is was written by the Hebrews. Other arguements are that the Hyskoks expelled from Egypt (found on a Stella) were Jews, but again, no proof this was Exodus.

So no 100% they were even there.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vyrtigo
In other words, Its aim was not to inform, but to decieve, and control.

and its exactly what the gods were really up to. to confuse us so we stay as their slaves and to sing hossanas for them forever...

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

The Tower of Babel (confusion), The Arc of Noah (Not a boat, Never was--scribes mistranslated the word for stone), the Temple, Solomans Temple, these are all the pyramids. At the pyramids is where knowledge becomes confused.

The bow set in the heavens in which God says he will never again flood the earth is not a rain bow, it is Orions Bow. Noah means Rest, it was not a man but a characteristic of man...spirit. Orion and his three son's who sit on his belt. The hunter rests in these houses...PR. Pyramid Memorials.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In other writtings not part of accepted biblical text, the pyramids may have two separate builders. One of the accounts say that Enoch built the pyramids and that in one of them are the bodies of Adam and Eve. They were constructed to survive the worldwide flood that was coming to destroy all life on the earth.

The second account is that they were built by the Nephelim (although they were called by another tribal name), a race of half breed giants that numbered in the hundreds of thousands. These giants suffered a plague that killed nearly all of them off. The people that would call themselves Egyptians came after them and found the pyramids. They also learned things there that helped them become a great civilazation.

In the book of Enoch, the story is told of the relationship Enoch had with the Nephelim giants. The giants asked Enoch to plea to God for mercy not to destroy them. They were denied. But Enoch new the flood was coming. It may be that either in one of the pyramids, or in the sphynx lay the bodies of Adam and Eve.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Is it true that the pyramids were buried under sand for a long long time? If so this could expain why they were not mentioned in the bible.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
In other writtings not part of accepted biblical text, the pyramids may have two separate builders. One of the accounts say that Enoch built the pyramids and that in one of them are the bodies of Adam and Eve. They were constructed to survive the worldwide flood that was coming to destroy all life on the earth.

However, this contradicts what the Egyptians wrote about them. The names are very ancient (the Great Pyramid is called "Khufu Ahket" and that name is attested to from the time of Heroditus... about 400 BC.)

In the digs around the pyramids, they found a huge necropolis (cemetery) where people who worked on the pyramids were buried. They have titles that reflect this, and there's a lot of ostrika (notes on limestone and pottery chips) that reflect an army of Egyptian workers there (complaining about the beer, griping about the lack of makeup (really!) and other things.)

The interior chambers of the pyramids are tiny and you couldn't breathe in there (if it was sealed off) for more than a few days before the level of carbon dioxide got too high.

The second account is that they were built by the Nephelim (although they were called by another tribal name), a race of half breed giants that numbered in the hundreds of thousands. These giants suffered a plague that killed nearly all of them off. The people that would call themselves Egyptians came after them and found the pyramids. They also learned things there that helped them become a great civilazation.

Again, the Egyptians contradict this with thousands of years of evidence.

We know, for instance, that the Egyptian kingdom was well over 500 years old before the first mastabas and step pyramids were built. The Giza complex comes after that. There is a continuous stream of written and archaeological evidence (in Egypt and everywhere else) showing that there was no flood and that humans didn't shrink to just one family's worth of people before rebreeding to large numbers again.

Egyptian technology develops over time... it's really a fascinating tale. I encourage you to set aside Enoch and instead go read about Unas and the others, working your way through the dynasties and looking at the beautiful and sophisticated buildings and art they produced.

But they weren't "taught" it. They develop it.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChilledVoodoo
Is it true that the pyramids were buried under sand for a long long time? If so this could expain why they were not mentioned in the bible.

You're thinking of the Sphynx, perhaps, and not the pyramids. They're far too massive to have been buried. The Sphynx was buried to its neck in the sand about 500 to 800 years after it was made. A prince named Thutmose was out hunting and fell asleep in the shadow of the face. He dreamed that it spoke to him and said that if he cleared away the sand from its body, that it would ensure he became king. He did, and he became king and commemorated it on a very large tablet that he set between the paws of the Sphynx:
www.touregypt.net...

By the way, in the Dream Stele, Thutmose said the entity (Sphynx) was the god Re-Harakhte.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hi all. ...

The reason the pyramids are not mentioned in The Bbile is because The Bible is 100% symbolic. Penetrate this veil of symbolism and The Truth reveals itself. So I will start you off. "Someone" represented by Moses climbs a mountain (The Great Pyramid) and enters a cave (The King's Chamber) and see a "burning bush" and "talks to God" meaning this "Someone" sees or discovers "The Truth".

Well now all we have to do is figure out who Moses represents and then this will lead us to who his people were and then hopefully this will lead us to The Truth. I hope you can stand The Truth.

Emhotep
Don Barone

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Byrd said:

The Sphynx was buried to its neck in the sand about 500 to 800 years after it was made. A prince named Thutmose was out hunting and fell asleep in the shadow of the face. He dreamed that it spoke to him and said that if he cleared away the sand from its body, that it would ensure he became king. He did, and he became king and commemorated it on a very large tablet that he set between the paws of the Sphynx:

By the way, in the Dream Stele, Thutmose said the entity (Sphynx) was the god Re-Harakhte.

Byrd, can't you even include the details I have taught you and have so provided for you? I mean really, you need only research ATS itself. You need only link to other threads and don't even need to send people off-site. Doesn't that sound simple?

Here's a college paper which provides far more correct detail, fillng in the massive gaps which others prefer not to fill with anything at all...

members.fortunecity.com...

Amenhotep IV did not begin his religious changes immediately. In 1349 BC, he began the continuance of work on pylons at the Amun temple at Karnak. He, however, built an addition to the temple dedicated to the sun disk, Aten.

Aten was the sun it self, the one whom Amenhotep IV thought brought life to all animals and people. Even though Amenhotep IV brought the worship of the Aten to the forefront of Egyptian religion, he did not come up with the idea of the Aten. Archeologists believe that Aten worship, or the idea of Aten as the solar disk, was in the Egyptian pantheon since the Old Kingdom. A large scarab from Thutmose IV contains a text that mentions the Aten. Thus, Amenhotep IV received the idea of the Aten from other sources, most likely from an Aten cult that was gaining strength during his father’s reign (Strange 2). The Aten in artwork is often shown with rays coming down from the solar disk, offering ankhs, Egyptian symbol for life, to Amenhotep IV and his family.

Thutmosis IV secretly revered the Aten (Sun versus Dark, Heliopolis versus Amun) and had a vision wherein the Sphinx (always a solar representative) said that if Pharaoh would restore the sphinx, the Creator would bless him. Also it is Thutmosis IV's obelisk which stands in the Pope's front yard today. Isn't that interesting?

Thutmosis IV's dream stela has the winged disc/Aten on it. Of course the winged Aten becomes a new interpretation in Amarna in that Akenaten's Aten has a newly styled type of hand bringing the Ankh down toward the Pharaoh', as if blessing him. This is imo a reference to Solomon, his father, Amenhotep III whose cartouche is simply a kid holding an ankh (pointed up) toward the Aten. Obviously (since this great king had just died) it isn't a huge stretch to see that the Aten with the ankh coming down from the sun is partially a patriarchal allusion (by Akhenaten) to his father, "Neb-maat-Ra aten-tjehen [RA is the Lord of Truth; The Gleaming Sun Disc]" as he he was called.

Solomon was the gleaming sun disc and when he died, he'd gone a little nuts but he'd been all over Greece (along with Tiye his wife) and he was easily the most powerful and most amazing king of that time, mantaining peaceful relations with nations for 30 years. In fact, during his almost 40 year rule, not once did he need to leave Egypt and go fight the asiatics personally. His son, Akhenaten, was similarly peacefully minded, though the warmongers hate that fact.

Image of Amenhotep III's (aka "I am the Gleaming Sun Disc/Aten") cartouche:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a56b6ba86d6.jpg[/atsimg]

Yuya's sarcophagus is strangely devoid of statements and engravings of Egyptian gods and lacks Egyptian engravings but the winged disc is prominent on all items including his coffins, and since Yuya is the most powerful visionary of this era, (As with Joseph, Yuya was placed over all of Egypt and was "a Father to Pharaoh") and since he was actualy the surogate father to Akhenaten's dad, Amenhotep III, I think Osman's case for Yuya being Joseph is credible and well considered.

So we don't have to wonder about Joseph's connection to Egypt as his sarcophagus and his mummy, are amazing, miraculous artifacts. In fact, as Mr. Osman imagines, it may be a way to unite all three Abrahamic faiths, who all revere Joseph, and who might find a new path to peace if Yuya's remains were to be placed in a central location to the holy land, like Mt. Sinai as Osman suggests. The future involves a comfortable merging of these three religions, or a bloody death for all three, imo. We have been given a very special thing, in the tombs of Yuya, Tut and the artifacts of Amarna --totaly unknown to anyone prior to 1840 including Josephus or anyone who had been part of the coverup of Akhenaten from history. Once we found the Amarna letters, this should have immediately redirected the whole global religious discussion, and that fact that it didn't, is hugely obvious.

But even if one disbelieves my proposition that Amenhotep III is Solomon, one cannot deny the winged disc symbology being used in our day, to covertly refer to Hebraic power. With the revelation of Yuya's tomb, everything came abruptly into focus for those who were paying attention to such things. With Tut's tomb shortly thereafter revealing such things as papyrii (lost or stolen now?) and also items belonging to Amenhotep III (anthropomorphic human-featured ankh as seen on the ostrich fan from Tut's tomb) It obvious in this context that the "Winged Disc/Aten" was what Yuya (vizier under Thutmosis IV) preferred as the symbol of his sole Creator. When all this came into the light in 1905 or so with the opening of Yuya's tomb, the stage for the 20th century battle for the title to 18th dynasty Egypt, was set.

We don't have to wonder why mostly all the Egyptian ref's pertaining to the Hebrew kings were removed from the bible (It is obviously an edited book) because clearly the Hebrews took the Amarna events and Moses' took the Levite script into the daylight (Hebrew) and around 900bc is when the Ezran scribes did the first serious editing, taking out the ref's to Egypt and also constructing the idea that Joseph's "bones" were carried to Canaan. It is obvious with this statement that they are trying to edit a complete break with Egypt when Joseph and Moses were both raised in Egypt. Actually, they were Egyptians of royalty.

I've got more to say, but it's tiresome having to describe these connections and then have the data sink to the bottom of ATS. Anyway, yes, it's obviously very telling that Egypt in the bible as such is presented as having no good gualities and obviously the tone is that of later priests and redactors who saw their tribe as being so very superior to those Egyptians who saw the whole canaanite region as being full of barbarians. It is obvious that if the barbarians won a great King (Moses) to their side, the later scribes might want to make it look like he never was an Egyptian. But even then they left it somewhat veiled in the texts. But by removing Moses' lineage and true name, they committed a sort of regicide even in relation to their own king, as Freud surmised. This is why Judaism is so totally jacked: The whole of Masonic Judasim (B'nai Br'ith) is based on the Masons who built Solomon's temple which was actually in Amarna, built by his kid, Akhenaten. So with the establishment of Jewish Masonry centered around the temple mount, in 1843, many things proceeded thereafter.

Also, the roots of so many other religions come from this time, around 1840 when "the temple" was supposed to have been cleansed. This was prophesized by the Millerites who said that Jesus would come and cleanse it. That didn't happen (or did it?), leading to The Great Disappointment which was huge in Boston, for example (where I was born) and which is not far from New York, home of both Charles Taze Russell's ministry (secret winged disc afficionado) and also B'nai B'rith (Jewish Masonry established 1843).

Basically around 1840 is when the real conspiracy stuff happened and the civil war buried a lot of that and killed off most of those who'd been alive during this "temple period" of America. Okay I might be rambling here but when there is so much information just out of view, and when I see people who in my opinion are continuing the effort to delphi any discussion toward their own idiocy and unexamined worldviews, I get a bit upset and need to inject some fresh air. Some people cannot see that their ideas have become as empty and stale as dust.

I agree with Jesus who said that truth is refreshing, like water. Also, water happens to be the most simple substance on Earth which humans must have. The connection between truth and water is that both are simple. God didn't make water or truth complicated, all a human needs to do is FIND IT but that takes searching and as Jesus said "Keep knocking until you become so irritating that someone let's you in..."

So yeah, the bible is basically a historical text which has been redacted/edited/veiled by priests and symbologists. These left the texts alone for the most part, except to amplify their uniqueness and "apartness" from the pyramids, i.e. Egypt. I didn't need Charles Taze Russell to discover this, but even as a Watchtower-baby-now-adult, I find myself more and more interested in Pastor Russell as one of a crowd of his generation who lived through post-1840 America (he was born in 1851) and came through the Civil War with an "end times" eschatology for the 20th century. He revered the winged disc also, but nobody would ever confuse him with a Pharaoh, or with Moses. Although he is buried under a pyramid.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Perhaps one reason maybe is that the great stone Pyramids predated Joseph and his family moving into Egypt. We have no way of knowing what was visible in ancient times also.

We all know that Egyptian life and culture was dominated by "belief in an afterlife", which set the nation of Israel apart from their initial hosts who became their oppressors. Interestingly enough Jacob (Israel) - the father of Joseph, made his son's swear that he shouldn't be buried in Egypt, no doubt amongst the Ancient tombs that celebrated Egyptian polytheistic worship that surrounded them.

(Genesis 47:29-31) . . .Gradually the days approached for Israel to die. So he called his son Joseph and said to him: “.............(Please, do not bury me in Egypt.) 30 And I must lie with my fathers, and you must carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their grave.” ........ so he swore to him"

Later the Egyptians enslaved the Israelites and set them the task of building and making sun dried bricks.. no mention of cutting out great stones. In later times the Egyptians resorted to burying the dead underground in tombs and their buildings were built of bricks made of clay and straw and dried in the sun. Very similar to how they are made today accept beicks are normally kiln dried.

(Exodus 1:11-14) 11 "So they set over them chiefs of forced labor for the purpose of oppressing them in their burden-bearing; and they went building cities as storage places for Phar′aoh, namely, Pi′thom and Ra‧am′ses. 12 But the more they would oppress them, the more they would multiply and the more they kept spreading abroad, so that they felt a sickening dread as a result of the sons of Israel. 13 Consequently the Egyptians made the sons of Israel slave under tyranny. 14 And they kept making their life bitter with hard slavery at clay mortar and bricks and with every form of slavery in the field, yes, every form of slavery of theirs in which they used them as slaves under tyranny"

The Bible may not refer to the Pyramids directly however the importance of "Burial places" to the Egyptians is written about on a number of occasions and certainly the great city of Memphis... (Hosea 9:6) . . .For, look! they will have to go because of despoiling. Egypt itself will collect them together; Mem′phis, for its part, will bury them. . ." The Israelites also called Memphis - Noph

I think it's also worth mentioning that according to the Bible Moses, who wrote the first five books of the Bible was no stranger to Egyptian culture, beliefs or architecture. In fact the scriptures particlarly make reference to him turning his back on his Egyptian heritage and his education in Pharoah's household, which would no doubt have rivalled any scholar in the land..... (Acts 7:22) 22 Consequently Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. In fact, he was powerful in his words and deeds" (Hebrews 11:24,25) . . .By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of the daughter of Phar′aoh, choosing to be ill-treated with the people of God . . ." ,.... This would perhaps explain someone taking these great monuments for granted and not mentioning them specifically.

Although not mentioning the Pyramids directly many aspects of Egyptian Edifices and their Archaeology that can be verified as true are directly mentioned...

for example:-

The Egyptian hierarchy and their priesthood is often mentioned in the Bible (Genesis 41:45) . . .After that Phar′aoh called Joseph’s name Zaph′e‧nath-pa‧ne′ah and gave him As′e‧nath the daughter of Pot‧i′phe‧ra the priest of On as a wife. . . ." - Ra at the end of Potiphe-ra's being the Egyptian Sun God.

Also interesting is tha the Egyptian name On - is thought to mean “City of the Pillar,” perhaps referring to the obelisks (tall, tapering columns topped by a pyramid-shaped point) for which the city was famous; or the name may relate to the sacred stone (called the benben) connected with the worship of the sun-god Ra (Re). The Greeks called the city Heliopolis, meaning “City of the Sun,” because it was the chief center of Egyptian sun worship.

The prophet Jeremiah was inspired to foretell that King Nebuchadnezzar (King of Babylon) would overrun Egypt and “break to pieces the pillars of Beth-shemesh, which is in the land of Egypt.” (Jer 43:10-13) Beth-shemesh corresponds somewhat to the Greek name Heliopolis and means “House of the Sun.” Hence the reference here is likely to the city of On, and “the pillars” that were to be broken may well refer to the many obelisks around the temple of the sun.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberpilot

"In that day shall there be an altar to the LORD in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to the LORD."

I'm skeptical as to whether that's anything to do with the Pyramid, this is talking about after the Israelites conquer Egypt they are to create this pillar and alter, not that it is already standing.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

have you considered that many of the ruins were covered with sand with just small portions exposed ,
luxor was the capital of egypt at the time not cairo , at the karnak temple you can see the scars at the top of some of the columns and walls where the travelling nomads and bedouin tribes sharpened their knives .
in fact they are still uncovering ruins that are connected to the karnak temple to this day

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Another interesting point to make regarding the Bible and Egypt is how the Ten Plagues brought upon the land exposed the lack of divinity of Pharoah and his household and the many Gods that Egyptian's worshipped. All of these Gods have been secularly verified as being part of Egypt's polytheistic worship system, which was in stark contrast to the Israelite monotheistic beleif system in a the God (YHWH) - Yahweh, Jehovah.

The Bible records Pharoah who was most likely brought up as a brother to Moses in his father's household particularly challenging the God of the Hebrews' authority to order the Egyptians to release the Israelites from captivity

Exodus 5:2 Records... . . ."But Phar′aoh said: “Who is Jehovah, so that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all and, what is more, I am not going to send Israel away.”

The Bible particularly stated that the plagues were designed to humiliate both the inhabitants AND their many Gods:-

at (Exodus 12:12) 12 And I must pass through the land of Egypt on this night .......... from man to beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I shall execute judgments"

(Numbers 33:4) . . .All the while the Egyptians were burying those whom Jehovah had struck among them, that is, all the firstborn; and upon their gods Jehovah had executed judgments.

The first plague, the turning of the Nile and all the waters of Egypt into blood, brought disgrace to the Nile-god Hapi. The death of the fish in the Nile was also a blow to Egypt’s religion, for certain kinds of fish were actually venerated and even mummified. (Ex 7:19-21)

The frog, regarded as a symbol of fertility and the Egyptian concept of resurrection, was considered sacred to the frog-goddess Heqt. Hence, the plague of frogs brought disgrace to this goddess. (Ex 8:5-14)

The third plague saw the magic-practicing priests acknowledging defeat when they proved to be unable by means of their secret arts to turn dust into gnats. (Ex 8:16-19)

The god Thoth was credited with the invention of magic or secret arts, but even this god could not help the magic-practicing priests to duplicate the third plague.

The line of demarcation between the Egyptians and the worshipers of the true God came to be sharply drawn from the fourth plague onward. While swarms of gadflies invaded the homes of the Egyptians, the Israelites in the land of Goshen were not affected. (Ex 8:23, 24)

The next plague, the pestilence upon the livestock, humiliated such deities as the cow-goddess Hathor, Apis, and the sky-goddess Nut, who was conceived of as a cow having the stars affixed to her belly. (Ex 9:1-6)

The plague of boils brought disgrace to the gods and goddesses regarded as possessing healing abilities, such as Thoth, Isis, and Ptah. (Ex 9:8-11)

The severe hailstorm put to shame the gods who were considered to have control of the natural elements; for example, Reshpu, who, it appears, was believed to control lightning, and Thoth, who was said to have power over the rain and thunder. (Ex 9:22-26)

The locust plague spelled defeat for the gods thought to ensure a bountiful harvest, one of these being the fertility god Min, who was viewed as a protector of the crops. (Ex 10:12-15) Among the deities disgraced by the plague of darkness were sun-gods, such as Ra and Horus, and also Thoth the god of the moon and believed to be the systematizer of sun, moon, and stars.—Ex 10:21-23.

The death of the firstborn resulted in the greatest humiliation for the Egyptian gods and goddesses. (Ex 12:12) The rulers of Egypt actually styled themselves as gods, the sons of Ra, or Amon-Ra. It was claimed that Ra, or Amon-Ra, had intercourse with the queen. The son born was, therefore, viewed as a god incarnate and was dedicated to Ra, or Amon-Ra, at his temple. Hence, the death of Pharaoh’s firstborn, in effect, actually meant the death of a god. (Ex 12:29) This in itself would have been a severe blow to Egypt’s religion, and the complete impotence of all the deities was manifested in their being unable to save the firstborn of the Egyptians from death.

Hardly a surprise that the Egyptians removed almost any trace of mention of the Hebrews in their written history. Defeats tended to be overlooked in ancient times in common with many civilisations.

edit on 25-5-2011 by JB1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

“Of the many accounts told over hundreds of years from various individuals, not one mention of Pyramids anywhere?”
The Sphinx and the Great Pyramid are easily the most recognizable landmarks in Egypt, the Great Pyramid being the only one of the original Seven Wonders of the World to have survived. But today we are told they are not found in the Bible?

Presently there are nine different routes for the Exodus and Red Sea crossing. With each route placing the encampments of Israel in different locations. Is something wrong? Yes: they started from the wrong location! They have Israel on the east side of the Nile Delta, but Artapanus (second century B.C.), Philo (20 B.C. - 50 A.D.), Josephus (first century A.D.), Eusebius (263–339 A.D.), and John of Nikiu (seventh century A.D.) all have Moses or the children of Israel on the west side of the Nile, with the confrontation between Moses and the king of Egypt at Memphis, again west side of the Nile.

The Exodus route has some 40 plus encampments on it (Numbers 33
, usually only one identification for each is given, but the sea crossing is marked with four sites, Baal-zephon, Migdol, Pi-hahirot and the sea itself, with Israel encamped between them. It would seem God wanted to mark this site well and yet today we have a lot of question marks as to these four place names, and because each of the nine routes for the Exodus have a different sea crossing, they also have these place names in different locations!

I am saying that “Pi-hahiroth” (pronounced “pē hah•khē•roth’”, Strong's Concordance with
Hebrew Lexicon. The “pē hah” is Hebrew and the last part is believed to be Egyptian), is the ancient site of Khereha, also spelled Kher-ahau (vowels are conjecture; this name is similar to the name Cairo and located just south of it). And “the sea” is a flooded delta (7th plague), “Baal-zephon” is the Sphinx and “Migdol” is the Great Pyramid.

The name Migdol is found seven times in the Bible and Strong’s #4024, has it as “Migdol =
tower”. It is translated “tower” three times in the Old Testament; the other four times it is left untranslated and simply given as “Migdol”, as it is found in the Exodus account (Exodus 14:2 and Numbers 33:7). Some believe Migdol could have been a fort, but the Bible told us Israel was avoiding war! The ancient Egyptian name for a pyramid was “Mir”; it was the Greeks who first started calling them “pyramids”, hundreds of years after the time of the Exodus. So the Hebrew Bible is not going to use the Greek name to describe them. For the Jews it was Migdol, a tower, they were simply calling it by what it looked like to them, as we would say the Eiffel Tower. Pliny the elder (Roman author, first century A.D.), when talking about the pyramids of Egypt, said the same, on the “Libyan side, are the towers [Latin = Turres] known as the Pyramids.”

Baal-zephon, Strong’s #1168 gives for “Baal” = Lord, and #6828 “zephon” = north, or “Lord of the north”. Baal-zephon was the god of the Assyrians and Phoenicians, and was worshiped in Canaan. The children of Israel were familiar with Baalzephon from their time in Canaan before they came to Egypt, and one would expect Israel to use a name they were familiar with. Just as the Egyptian god Amun was called by the Greeks, Zeus and by the Romans, Jupiter, so the Sphinx was called Baalzephon by the Jews.

The name Baal-zephon is given three times in the Bible and all three are at the sea crossing.
Josephus did not say that Baal-zephon was a city, but only called it a “place.” “[O]n the third day they came to a place called Beelzephon....” The book Legends of the Jews said it was place with both an Idol and a temple “…. the great sanctuary of Baal-zephon was situated” Jewish sources say that Baalzephon was an idol, “before the idol Zephon,” (Targum Pseudo-Jonathan, Exodus 14
, “idol of Zephon,” (Targum Onkelos, Exodus 14
. The Sphinx and its temple are located next to each other.

Jewish sources make an interesting comment about this idol. “Of set purpose God had left Baalzephon uninjured, alone of all the Egyptian idols. He wanted the Egyptian people to think that this idol was possessed of exceeding might, which it exercised to prevent the Israelites from journeying on.” (The Legends of the Jews, III, Pharaoh Pursues the Hebrews, also Targum Pseudo-Jonathan, Exodus XIV). The Bible declares that on the night of the Passover, besides smiting all the firstborn, God “executes judgment” on all the gods of Egypt. But as quoted above, the reason Baal-zephon was still standing was to give Pharaoh a false hope in this idol. The Sphinx would be the only possibility for Baal-zephon, for all believe it was standing when the children of Israel left Egypt! What other idol could it have been? These Jewish sources just quoted said Baal-zephon was the only one left. It was and is still there; we are left with very few possibilities to pick from. It could not have been some carry-around idol that was set back up, but of necessity it would have to have been very large, for it was used as a landmark for a nation.

The Uraeus, or cobra, was the symbol of lower or northern Egypt (Please keep in mind the geography of Egypt. “Lower” Egypt is in the north, and “upper” Egypt is in the south! The Nile flows from south to the north, the opposite of the Mississippi river.) Pharaohs wore both the vulture and the cobra on their headdress to show they were the rulers of the two lands, or Upper and Lower Egypt. On the upper forehead of the Sphinx is clearly seen the Uraeus or cobra and it is made from the stone of the Sphinx itself, not something added on later. A two-foot limestone piece of the Sphinx’s cobra is now in the British Museum #1204. Since the Sphinx only had the cobra (Uraeus), as a permanent part of it, and therefore was a symbol of northern Egypt, it was a clear sign to all the Egyptians that the Great Sphinx was “Lord of the north”, and to the Hebrews, this was Baal-zephon!

For more on this see = www.sinai-horeb.com...

As to the Bible being only symbolic and not to be interpreted literally, as a couple of the post wrote; once we leave the normal meaning of words, there is no end to the possible interpretations, it only depends on how big of an imagination one has. Christ and the Apostles always interpreted the Old Testament literally. Archaeologists will cherish any papyrus they find in the sand of Egypt, and they interpret these literally, but rarely do they question the religious beliefs of its Egyptian author, who would have worshiped a multitude of gods, half of which were animals!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by John Matrix

The bible discreditors have surfaced,

On the contrary. I believe that the Bible is the word of God. I don't believe God uses nonsensical codes to relay His message. No serious biblical scholar would entertain such non-sense. It is akin to the "Bible Code", another theory of pure nonsense.

It is theories like those presented by the plagiarized text you took, as your own, which detract from the book of God's word.

Isaiah does not refer to the pyramids, and that IS in keeping with the discussion of the OP.

As to researching the Bible, I have over 40 years of research in it, and don't pretend to have all the answers, but I can tell you that no respected Biblical scholar takes such numerical nonsense seriously.

Ivan Panin, the Russian literary critic and Bible scholar, took "such numerical nonsense" very seriously. In fact, he devoted many years to teasing out the complex numerical patters in the Biblical text. Of course, I do not speak here of the ELS codes, so popular today. What he proved is that the Biblical text must have been composed by a more-than-human intelligence, that the text is a single, unified document from Genesis to the Revelation, and that the original text can be restored. All this is from simply plugging in the numerical values of the Hebrew and Greek letters.

Your overuse of the word "nonsense" betrays a lack of understanding, not a well-informed opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join