It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Train Explosion in North Korea; 161 Dead & 1300 Injured

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You'd think he would have let himself be seen by now, if only to forstall cheering in Washington.

Kinda makes you wonder.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm certainly hoping that the state of emergency and the media blackout isn't because of the train crash occurring near chemical & nuclear plants.

*worried*

-B.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
I'm certainly hoping that the state of emergency and the media blackout isn't because of the train crash occurring near chemical & nuclear plants.

*worried*

-B.

That is a scary prospect. I don't think China would hesitate to go in there if there was a Chernynoble type threat possibility, hence the media-blackout.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You can see my spin on this event in the thread link below....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Shamless plug I know but I am trying to earn points.

Hey ckick the link and read the thread, What if I am right?

Gazz

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Kim ends secretive China visit

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has completed a highly secretive visit to China where he reportedly discussed his country's nuclear standoff with the US.
There was official silence about the visit until it ended, but diplomats said China urged Mr Kim to soften his stance on the nuclear issue.

Mr Kim also reportedly discussed Pyongyang's ailing economy and visited a model farm at the end of his stay.

China is a key ally of North Korea and a mediator in the nuclear standoff.

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This is a trajedy,

I hope this was purely an accident, and not some act of terrorism/war.

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
This is a trajedy,

I hope this was purely an accident, and not some act of terrorism/war.

Deep

Awwww.. all of the sudden we care about the people of North Korea.

Please.

All of us are guilty of looking the other way for too long now.

The People of North Korea have been living in a hell no one here can even imagine.

Hidden from the view of the world and the media.

I have seen a report one of the few that have made it out of North Korea, and it is beyond anything I can imagine.

Worse than that it has been hidden from the world by the Media and the North Korean government.

The reason is because of the sanctions and the evil control of the insane leader Kim Jong Il.

These people in many places have been starving to death by the tens of thousands, and now we care about a few thousand that have been killed by a train explosion?

Please spare me.

Among the images I have seen and the story told by one reporter that was able to get some of the truth out, were images of a sad starving people. some who were happy to find an insect to eat, in many places the starving are feeding on the flesh of the dead.

Think our actions have added to their pain.

And now this?

Do you really feel sorry for them now?.. If so feel sorry for them for the hell the world is looking away from at the moment, not an exploding train.

There is little or no aid to this day getting to the people of north Korea.

That is the real shame here.

Gazz

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

UM_Gazz

You dont even know me, and already jumped on the bandwagon of false judgement.

It is a trajedy that has taken place in North Korea. How would you help them oh mighty one ?

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
And now we care about a few thousand that have been killed by a train explosion?

Please spare me.

Excuse me? A few THOUSAND? Yeah, we kind of care. It is a sad thing that anyone has to die, no matter what you may think of them.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

UM_Gazz

You dont even know me, and already jumped on the bandwagon of false judgement.

It is a trajedy that has taken place in North Korea. How would you help them oh mighty one ?

Deep

Deep I am sorry if you took my post wrong, I was trying to make a valid point here that seems to escape everyone.

I wish I had the answers.

But looking the other way will not help these people.

I was only pointing out what many do not know about North Korea.

I admit I am new here, and I thought you too were one of those many.

again I am sorry if you took my post wrong and I meant it in a general sense.

Gazz

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Satellite photos from 18 hours after the blast suggest fires are raging
BBC update

N Korean trains explode in crash

The station was said to have been destroyed
Overseas officials have confirmed a massive blast in North Korea feared to have left thousands dead and wounded.
But authorities in the secretive state have not acknowledged any disaster, nearly a day after two fuel trains were reported to have collided.

South Korean media reports talk of up to 3,000 people killed or injured in Ryongchon, 50km from China's border.

Details remain scarce and there are conflicting reports of survivors going to China, or Pyongyang asking for help.

Confirmation of the blast came from Washington and Seoul.

"There clearly was a large explosion there of some sort," a US official said.

Up Date on N Korea rail blast

Aerial image shows buildings close to the railway line (DIGITALGLOBE)

BBC

A picture is beginning to emerge in North Korea of the scale of Thursday's rail disaster close to China's border.
In the first independent account, the Red Cross said the train blast killed at least 54 people and injured 1,200.

But diplomatic sources in Pyongyang say the figure is much higher, as reports indicate the blast happened when two wagons of dynamite hit a live wire.

North Korea has made no official statement on the blast at Ryongchon, 20km from China's border.

Related Links
Sky News
CNN
Digital Globe

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
CNN is reporting that NK has asked China for assistance with the train collision....

www.cnn.com...

Chinese help

"They have already asked for help, but we can't give more details. We must report it to the provincial government," a Dandong city government official told Reuters by telephone.

CNN's Senior Asia Correspondent Mike Chinoy said the country's poor health care system and lack of rapid response teams will make treating a high number of casualties very difficult

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Elavated:

Thanks for the link.

We can only hope that this is a wake-up call to Kim.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Its okay, um_gazz.

Im not the resident political god here, lol. Its a sad event in my eyes, thats all.

I posted a thread some time ago regarding, North Korean Political Prisoners, have a look.

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ive read some reports that debris was thrown for over 10 miles. That must have been one catastrophic explosion. Poor Souls.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I bet it was a BLEVE (pronouonced "blev-ey").

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
liquid propane is bad bad stuff.

It's heavier than air so it settles and collects. But not only that, it soaks into the skin very quickly. So I don't think I need to go into details on what situation that can cause.

All in all, if LP was involved, it's going to be nasty....high compressibility, pressurized containers, add in other fuel - Napalm on rails.

NEED TO CLARIFY THIS: Liquid propane is liquid as long as it is under sufficient pressure. The comments above (including being heavier than air and soaking into the skin and hi compressibility) are referring to the VAPORS once this stuff was everywhere.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Lets hope it was quike......

If the CIA did have a hand in this, once again it shows the American Goverments disregard for innocent life.

Deep

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Propane rail cars anyone?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
HowardRoark, those are some lucky f--kers there. That picture looks familiar -- what incident is it from?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join