It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You get this when police brutality happens with thousands of eye witnesses.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Unfortunately the way the laws are written these days most of us at any given time can technically be arrested or hassled for any reason. Cops are judge, jury, and executioner out in the field. It's like when a cop puts on his badge, gun, and uniform he immediately forgets that the people he deals with are....People. I'm not going to get into all the laws that cops think they themselves don't need to follow because I really don't want this to turn into an outright cop flame thread. I'll leave it with this:

There are good cops, but I think there are more bad cops than good ones.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegear
Is that not a little excessive? Who is held accountable if the cop is hurt or do we call it even?

You would probably have to somehow charge everybody on the field, including the cops. Mob behavior is fairly predictable, when emotions, anger, and adrenaline are running that high, moderation is nowhere to be seen. Police should pick their battles like everybody else, and use more common sense in the middle of large, easily influenced crowds.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Info to the video.

This was a friendly match between Etoile Carouge FC (Switzerland) and SL Benfica (Portugal) played in 17 July 2004 in Switzerland. The majority of the supporters on the stadion were portuguese emigrants.
The TV station broadcasting that images is SIC Notícias (news channel) from Portugal.
The 4 mens in black are not police forces, they are private security.
The man who invade the field was a portuguese emigrant and the words on his placard were "A familia apoia o árbitro José Fonseca" (the family supports the referee José Fonseca), the portuguese referee of the match. The words on the placard i'm translating from the reporter speech.

IMO both, security first and then the supporters made a bad thing. Like many here said, if they invade the field and just stop the security violence, that was the right decision, but they made worse.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
They had it coming, how on earth do they get it in their tiny minds to think that such a brutal response is 'okay' ?

Hello Orwellian state nightmare.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Har Har! Excellent!

Mob rules! That teaches cops to stop being boneheads and behave as if they got all the legitimacy of violence... cause they actually don't, and even under a Police State the people still have the numbers on their side.

I wanna see more of that kind of thing happening...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The dude was having fun and running across the pitch. The penalty is a fine and a ban from other games. Normally cops run up to a misbehaving fan and grab him by the scruff and march off the field.

In this case, all the officers had him pinned down and started to truncheon him ....and for what?

These bozo cops deserve what they got for the stupidity of their actions and the inciteful act they committed.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This is why the police have a bad reputation

Rodney King beating. Is this proper police procedure too?

or this

or this

or this

or this

This is of course a VERY, VERY short list of ABUSES by police. This is why people are either afraid of police or have hostility for police.
what ever happened to PROTECT AND SERVE????
Isn't that the police' primary mission?? TO PROTECT AND SERVE???
How is any of this either protecting or serving the public???

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Police in many European countries unfortunately tend to adopt a "whack anything that moves and ask questions later" policy when it comes to controlling crowds of people. The Italian police in particular are notorious for this. Manchester United played Roma in the Champions League away in Rome a couple of seasons ago. When Roma scored, some of their fans charged the fence that seperates the two sets of fans. A handful of Man Utd fans responded by charging the fence on the other side. How do the Italian police diffuse and resolve this tense situation? By wading in to the English fans mob-handed and smacking anything that moves, man, woman or child, innocent or not, with batons. You can see in the videos of the incident a man who has been knocked to the ground and has clearly been "subdued", yet the policeman continues to stand over him smacking him on the head with his baton over and over and over again, the man's friend pleading him to stop.

Where is this year's Champions League final going to be held? The Stadio Olympico in Rome of course. You couldn't make it up.

Video of the incident:

BBC News report:

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Lurch]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What happened in the OP's video is what I call Natural Justice or real justice, if it hadn't been for the players and match officials the security thugs would probably be crippled and so be it I say, for all who don't like what happened, bad luck it happened, lessons have been learned a valuble lesson for some. Moral of the story is don't abuse the false power or it may come back and bite you on the head. It just goes to show that you can't control 10 000 people with 10 or twenty people so do not anger the mob. Just plain Dumb those security people in that video.

Toe.

ps the sucurity guys that got away should count thier lucky stars and find more productive employment like street sweeping or something

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thegear

Sorry I think you may be a bit warped. The man was NOT armed and posed NO real threat. If this is the manner in which you police I am glad I am not in your district. Had there been a question as to if he may have had a weapon then they were justified. These guys were just all too happy to do it and they got less than what they deserved.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is a misleading video.

As Picao84 and Terribilis eSt locus iste said, those are not policemen, it happened in Switzerland and it happened in 2004.

So this whole thread is based on a wrong assumption, and it shows how easy it is to manipulate the masses.

If you people spoke Portuguese you would have understood what was said on the video, knowledge gives you the real power.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Don't forget..."Don't Taze me Bro!"

Really, that one set me firmly against the use of tasers.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primordial
I see it like this.

If you do something to make the cops chase you and you run away, if they catch you they will be pissed and possibly use excessive force. Not that it's right but that's just the way it is.

You can see it any way you want. If I witness brutality like that, and someone uses a offending officer's head as a baseball, I absolutely will not vote to convict if I'm on the jury. And that's regardless of the injuries to the officer.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Picao84

if u dont know what u talking about dont say anything. it was not in switzerland (where there r a big portuguese comunity), this was in Portugal, it was a game where benfica was playing away. the reporter says that the man who enter the field was branding a card saying: "the family of the referee supports him". Another thing, they were actually police officers. In Portugal there r always police officers or GNR (national republican guards) doing the safety of the games. Another thing the reporter say is that in the end of what happened there were not injuries beside the police officer who was on the ground being kicked, and no arrests were made. The police officer was inconscious for a few moments and regain consciousness moments later. It was a beautifull thing to see. I was there but not went to the field because i was with my younger brother, glad loads of people did. Sorry for my writing.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Hahahahaha! All u police that watch this and read the comments of people disagreeing with the fans, realise this would not be there real response if it was a friend or family member that got treated like that they would be appalled! Bring on the vigilates to deal with the scum that managed to get into that position of power! Id be on the front line baby! Thats not to say all cops are like this. But the ones who are like this, let that be an eye opener before its you end up on the wrong end of a boot!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Blundo

those cops werent that slick were they?

Great video. This one is good at showing both ends of the police brutality spectrum.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
This is why the police have a bad reputation

or this

that one im sceptical about... was this the one that the guy wanted to walk away and find a sign with the speed limit?

[edit on 6-4-2009 by shiman]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
OMG I can't stop laughing. I love watching rotten cops get the beat down. Take note cops in America , one day that might be you. HA HA HA HA I could watch this all day long!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
like a bouncer who decides a mosh pit has gotten out of hand... so they beat the crap out of some kids dancing for all intents and purposes

DESERVED

and I might add... and this is big for me...

GO EUROPEANS

it's about time people everywhere stopped being sissies

I am FOR anyone who opposes AUTHORITY any where ... PRO, I don't need to be ruled or told what to do in any aspect of my life.

Protect and Serve

Their JOB would be to PROTECT a moron from those who would harm him for being a moron, i.e. if the crowd went after him for his stunt... see him to safety

The job of a Knight NOT a soldier

The Meaning of what it is to be a public servant has been perverted and degraded by turning these poor men into soldiers, even in words in America they fight WARS on Crime and Dope

Protect and Serve

They have NO right to harm anyone whop is not in action of harming someone else

They have no right to imprison someone for behavior, they should lead by example

This is why those in charge never pay either Teachers OR Cops what they deserve, keeping them poor prevents them from ever being a role model of how to Live...

The meaning of the word Police has been lost and perverted from above

Good it is to be reminded

[edit on 6-4-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a lot of people keep saying don't become what you are fighting against.

well...... they aren't. the policemen respond to a pretty small and under control situation with violent and unacceptable methods which were not provoked. the crowd's violent reaction might have been violent, but there's a massive difference between being violent for the sake of it and being violent in retaliation.

consider for example, if a criminal locks someone in their basement for 10 years and gets 10 years in prison, is that unacceptable? one of the parties acts unprovoked to any reasonable level whilst the other reacts having been provoked quite seriously.

context is everything and i think you can't just brush everything aside and equate them to each other because whilst the act is the same the cause and justification are MASSIVELY different.

members of the police have been exploiting their powers and with our governments giving them more and more powers to abuse they are getting out of hand. whilst it's not their fault they are allowed to do something, it is their fault if they use it unnecessarily. just because you can it does not mean you should or you have to. there was footage of some police beating certain protestors in london recently and as much as it's a nice thought that everything is going to be resolved peacefully, the truth is sometimes the apathy of the masses leaves those who do care with such frustration and weakness that only through violence can they make something happen. with that in mind i think if people witness police brutality they are highly justified in not just restraining the policeman but taking action on them. like i said it would be better if we would have them apprehended properly instead, but it rarely happens. they get away with this all the time and if the government and the police won't take people seriously anymore then violence is perhaps the last option people have.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join