It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama Leads Condemnation as North Korea Launches Rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Barack Obama Leads Condemnation as North Korea Launches Rocket

www.truthout.org

President Obama called for North Korea to be punished after the isolated communist state fired an intercontinental rocket this morning, defying weeks of warnings from world leaders and provoking anxiety across north-east Asia.

The UN Security Council will meet in emergency session in New York this afternoon after a demand for action from governments across the world, including the US, Britain, France and above all Japan, over whose territory the rocket flew. It is unlikely that Russia and China will agree to new sanctions because the projectile appears to have been the vehicle for a satellite, rather than an intercontinental ballistic missile.

"This provocation underscores the need for action, not just this afternoon at the UN Security Council, but in our determination to prevent the spread of these weapons," Mr Obama said in a speech in the Czech capital, Prague, calling for efforts towards nuclear disarmament.

"Rules must be binding, violations must be punished, words must mean something. The world must stand together to prevent the spread of these weapons. Now is the time for a strong international response."

The three stage rocket, known as a Taepodong 2, was fired at around 11.20am from the Musudan-ri launch site in the north east of North Korea. According to the North Korean state media, it successfully placed a communications satellite into orbit about ten minutes later, and safely cleared northern Japan where batteries of Patriot missile interceptors were on standby in case of a misfiring.

North Korea claims that the satellite is presently broadcasting songs in praise of its supreme leader Kim Jong Il, and his late father, Kim Il Sung. It said that the Kwangmyongsong 2, or Lodestar, was orbiting between 490 kilometres (306 miles) and 1,426 km from earth in a cycle lasting 104 minutes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
So now that the deed has been done and the UN has had an emergency session, what do you think the outcome will be? The warnings have been clear from multiple countries not to fire this missile. While NK's claim that the "satellite is broadcasting songs in praise of lil kim. I don't know, I think we are being kind of hypocritical like always when it comes to these sort of things. We can have nukes that can end the world but they can not have a missile. What is everyone's thoughts on this event?

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-4-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
interesting comment i found:
While the Soviet Union existed, agreements prevented the militarization of space. Once the Soviet Union dissolved the U.S. began to enthusiastically militarize it. Now the universe outside of the planet earth belongs to the U.S. and no one may use it for any purpose without our permission, especially those countries that refuse to be puppets to our dominating urges. We have become the Fourth Reich. Were it not for their detonating a nuclear weapon this would have been justifiable cause for a U.S. attack on North Korea.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
They said that it was transmitting the "Song of General Kim Il-sung" and the "Song of General Kim Jong-il" .
Hey it should be shot down for that reason alone, I mean have you heard Korean music??

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezdude40
They said that it was transmitting the "Song of General Kim Il-sung" and the "Song of General Kim Jong-il" .
Hey it should be shot down for that reason alone, I mean have you heard Korean music??

Well I had to stick that in the search bar now didn't I!

Actually quite a rousing number - I like it... No idea what they are singing tho.

So realistically ham radio operators should be able to predict the orbit of this sat (should the thing actually be up there) and point their antennas at it and listen to that music?

Cos that's what you could do with Sputnik - they would know the window and the frequency and the whole world could hear beep beep beep. Radio experts! What do you think?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

I think it was due to the very real concern that North Korea is going to use a nuclear weapon if they get their hands on one. For example, in spite of there being enough nuclear warhead prepared to fire if given the signal, the first and last use of nuclear weapons happened during the second world war.

Neither the United States nor Russia have any will to use their nuclear arsenal because they have international politics, economics, and are considered superpowers. North Korea, however, is probably the most hated country on Earth, with its sole diplomatic ally being the Chinese. With ongoing famines, oppression that would make Stalin blush, poor industrial development, and a laundry list of other problems, North Korea has very little going for it. And, compared to most other nuclear capable nations, the benefits of using one could theoretically outweigh the risks for them.

( At least in the short term, which seems to be the farthest ahead the North Korean military can think. )

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
like what kind of punishment are we talking about here? finger waging and no dessert after supper?

it's all bollocks

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

That's my question, too. What do TPTB have in mind as a punishment?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora

Easy. No iPod for Kim Jong Il!!

Where's Hans Brix? Doesn't he have to tell the UN to write a really really angry letter or something now?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora

what they really want is a WWIII its been in there agenda from the beginning, and mark my words it will happen very soon

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Scary thought, to put it mildly. Does North Korea have any allies? As I understood it, they stand alone. Not implying they wouldn't do any damage, but it seems a war, or even battle, would be over fairly quick if it were one country against many.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
i'm not saying this will start WWIII, but i know it will happen soon, its in there agenda and just one more BIG step towards there NWO... and especially with all thats happening between Iran/Israel/Pakistan all these new fake Al Qaeda and osama bin laden threats,

there setting the stage...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Is this before or after Obama gives Kim Jung....whatever, a hug and a kiss?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
"Okay, we told 'em not to launch that missile. THAT DOES IT! We're going to issue... DUN DUN DUNNNNN.... A CONDEMNATION!"

Condemn, condemn! You have been officially spoken badly about, North Korea. Take THAT! Ha ha ha... They never even saw that coming! Nobody keeps defying the will of the UN after we unleash our condemning powers!

Condemn, condemn to you, North Korea! Two more just for good measure! Ha ha ha, your diplomatic butt is now thoroughly politically kicked!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Haha... Kim Jong Il is painted as the New Sadaam w/ his WMD's.

Take one down and another replaces...

KIM JONG IL Yo! (Team America)...

Warmest Regards.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Yea, that is my exact concern that the powers that be will use this to kick start a major war. As history shows us large wars are best way to jump start the economy. Myself be an eternal skeptic, know the propaganda machine on both side, nk and usa/japan are in full gear. I hope we can stay away from war but if this was bush admin, we would be going balls deep for those wmd's.

new topics

join