It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How 1 Non Verbal Autistic Young Man Runs a Business

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Not only is this guy non verbal but he also has downs syndrome as well. Everybody has potientil if they are allowed to realize it. As i have often told parents with children who have a congenital issue. The only limitations keeps feel are those that are placed on them by thier parents.

Joe Steffy is off to Overland Park, Kan., this week to do a PowerPoint presentation on his business, Poppin' Joe's Kettle Korn. He's a 23-year-old small-business man with a goal of $100,000 in sales by 2012. Joe also has autism and Down syndrome and is nonverbal. When he gives his talk, he will push buttons on an augmentative speech device to deliver the words. His audience will be parents who fervently hope their own special-needs children will be able to work, too.

Joe's parents, Ray and Janet, didn't agree with the school district assessment in their home town of Louisburg, Kan., that said Joe would never be able to work or live independently. "I'm one who can easily get ticked off," says Ray. "That ticked me off. We saw more in Joe than that. We set out to prove to the school that he had capabilities." They came across kettle corn while on a trip to Alaska and realized that all that popping, scooping, and serving suited Joe's love of work.
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AmeDRWnA0AFIa6r98Rxi6Mp34T0D

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

All the more reason to put the person first. Not "autistic children" but "children with autism". They are human beings, with challenges.

Good story. A star for you bringing it here.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Capitolist grip is clearly not prejudice.
There is 'hope' for all.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

What a lovely story.......
I support people with autism and 3 have the condition down syndrome...
There are truely remarkable people and exceptionally clever....
S&F 4 ur posting.....

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Starred and flagged for simply being the best 'feel good' story I've read lately.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

The payoff for that effort, as far as the Steffys are concerned, has been priceless. They see their son make a local popcorn delivery, accept payment, fold it, and put it in his pocket. When he walks out, his dad says, Joe looks 3 inches taller than when he walked in

Great story. Only uplifting, good news I've seen in a while

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Wow. Definately starred and flagged.
Also, kudos to his parents for helping him achieve this!

new topics

top topics

join