It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring Your Pets to Bug Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yes. Cats and dogs are indispensable as long as they remain useful.

They remain useful until they are recycled as fertiliser.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Seany, I am GLAD to hear that bluejays are still around where you are. I myself have not observed certain species where I am, in a long while. There may be less of them to go around, likely due to the bird flu.
By the way, has anyone heard anymore about all the bats dying off, due to that white fungus around their noses? I vaguely recall, years back, on CoastToCoastam, Major Ed Dames predicting killer fungus being a future problem. ( I saw on their website, that he is going to be on, this Thursday, 4-9-09).

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Dog goes, cats can stay. We have barn cats to keep down the rats, mice, gofers and rattle snakes. Cats are a wear item here, like brakes on a car they just don't last long. Hawks, Owls, dogs, coyotes and cars take their toll. I have put our vets two kids through private school with spaying cats.

During and after WW2 ally rabbit was what my grand father got served in Paris. Or as my dad has often said "never name something you may have to eat".

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The horses, dogs, and cats are going as long as I have a vehicle. If I had to walk/ride, the dogs and horses would go. All could be pack animals. If things got really bad, a couple of horses would become dinner/jerky.

As far as cats, I wish my cats would hang out by the garden. I wouldn't mind the fertilizer if they used it as a sand box and they would keep the Blue Jays from eating my tomatoes. As it is, I'll have to buy nets for the tomatoes.

Northern Raider, I think a lot of your description of cats pretty much applies to Humans: Unhygienic?--my cat would smell better after 30 days without a bath than I would!
Disease carrying--check
Kills for pleasure--check

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
They would be gathered up anytime I'd leave the house without plans for return, they're a part of the family...

I have an AmStaff to help watch over us, and a Spaniel breed to catch small game dinner.

Animals are just so much more in tune with what's going on around them, along with a list of indispensable abilities. Just like guns, if ya got 'em, bring em.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Without a doubt my dogs are a integral part of my bugout. Both of my Blue Weimaraners are trained to point quail and doves. They are not half bad at being rabbit & squirrel dogs either. With a small amount of tweaking I could train them to scent track deer.

Besides their ability to bring dinner to the table the Weims(along with my Heinz 57 Junk Yard Dawg) make a hell of a perimeter defense. One of the Weims weighs 120# & the other 88# and they all take no scat whatsoever from strangers.

As far as them being a possible source of protein(slaughtering them), this is beyond the pale as a viable possibility for me. I possess far too many skills in regards to hunting, fishing and foraging to ever resort to that atrocity. That's just the way I roll.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Depends on your pet. If it is chipped, well you have a problem. If it can't tolerate the elements, you have a problem. If it is out of your control with no leash, you have a problem. If it doesn't come when you call it, you have a problem. If you need to hide from someone, and your pet won't sit still, you have a problem. My dogs are extremely well trained, so I would bring them.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Seany

My concern is a barking dog or crying infant. this would draw attention to your Bug out location.

If they use heat seeking devices none of us can hide out long. Caves will be taken.

Does anyone know if they sell protective devices to hide from the heat seekers? or Night vision tips?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If any of you all were true survivalist you could live of the land for a very long period of time without consuming one iota of protein. Of course theres always the looting of empty stores, but that could put one in harms way, as i'm sure others would be doing the same thing as they to would have no idea how to really live off the land. Good luck with that

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by smokehouseslim

I'm a survivalist. Ive got it all covered except heat seeking devices and night vision optics.

I need some tips on how to avoid these. Any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
P.S. Besides the chipped dog. Do not drive your car to your Bug out location all new tires have RFID chip implants in the sidewalls, no cell phones, laptops. Only a hand cranked radio.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

I'm a survivalist. Ive got it all covered except heat seeking devices and night vision optics.

I need some tips on how to avoid these. Any suggestions?
Really? then you could tell the difference berween a Bramble Berry & a Coccus Sombulitus then?

[edit on 6-4-2009 by smokehouseslim]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

No I dont know what a "Bramble Berry & a Coccus Sombulitus" are but Ive got the BOB that will kick some butt! I actually 4.

One with hunting and survival equiptment,

one with herbal antibiotics, first aid and Hygiene,

one with weather resistant and cold weather survival

and last but not least Food.

Yes they do weigh a lot. I live rural so hope I dont need to bug out but I'm ready for any emergency!

What is Bramble Berry & a Coccus Sombulitus?

I also dont have a chem suit or body armor. Kind of spendy. I may get some gas masks though.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
A Bramble Berry is simply a Black Berry & the Coccus is a form of Night Shade (Poisionous) That has a berry resembling a Black Berry. When I go out on the State trails here walking & taking pics I only ever have a bottle of water for thirst my snacks come from Mother Nature.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

The brambleberry is in the raspberry family. Similar bushes and berries.
They usually grow in wetter areas than raspberries and blackberries.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Actually a brambleberry is not a blackberry. They are in the same family but grow in wetter areas.

Wonderworld and i don't really have to worry about night shade, it doesn't grow to well up here in Washington and Idaho.

But what does this have to do with pets anyways?

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

Actually a brambleberry is not a blackberry. They are in the same family but grow in wetter areas.

Wonderworld and i don't really have to worry about night shade, it doesn't grow to well up here in Washington and Idaho.

But what does this have to do with pets anyways? I'd much rather eat berries fruits nuts grains than my pet.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Ya me too. I don't think ferret would taste to good.

My daughters chihuahua might taste like a burrito though

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Ok maybe this post will work....My point was that I would rather eat berries/fruits/nuts/grains/ & whatever else the land has to offer than to eat my pet.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokehouseslim
Ok maybe this post will work....My point was that I would rather eat berries/fruits/nuts/grains/ & whatever else the land has to offer than to eat my pet.

I got your point in your post. When you quote someone click your cursor after the bracket where it says quote, then hit enter two or three times.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join