It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: North Korea Rocket Launch Failed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Report: North Korea Rocket Launch Failed.

www.upi.com

PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. — North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command officials acknowledged today that North Korea launched a Taepo Dong 2 missile at 10:30 p.m. EDT Saturday which passed over the Sea of Japan/East Sea and the nation of Japan.

Stage one of the missile fell into the Sea of Japan/East Sea. The remaining stages along with the payload itself landed in the Pacific Ocean.

No object entered orbit and no debris fell on Japan.

NORAD/USNORTHCOM
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.upi.com
online.wsj.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.telegraph.co .uk

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well, in other words, the North Korean ICBM only managed to travel between 700-1000 Nautical Miles downrange before it faced a catastrophic failure, which came about due to, or resulted in the "failure to fire" of Rocket Stages 2 and 3.

Now, guess who has the ability to salvage and inspect the engineering behind this fine piece of North Korean technology? Soon enough we will also discover whether or not there was in fact a SAT onboard, as the North Koreans stated, or whether it was a Munitions related payload. Such an answer might remain Classified, but regardless, our MIL/DOD/INTEL will know the truth.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

South Korea Defence Force and Japan's Defence Ministry have already confirmed that it was on a space launch path it was not a armed missile.

but the U.N are calling a security council on it.

i don't see what the big problem is every nation on this planet has the right to go into space as the human race's destiny lies solely in Space

the western powers subjugate that right. China and Russia have said they wont adhere to strong sanctions on N Korea.. seeing as China is N Koreas only ally...i guess it's gonna be a tense political argument..

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
So, I think that the next thing we will hear is the North Korean's proclaiming their victorious launch of their superior technology in the face of their oppressors. Pointing to our proclamation of their failure as evidence of our fear of them and an obvious lie.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

haha, i heard that just as in '98 NK claimed again they had succesfully launched a satellite which broadcoast patriotic songs of KIm jong il and his father..god they're really pathetic..

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Maybe they should have stuck to singing...

For all the hype and all the saber rattling, one would think or have thunk that NK would have at least made sure the darn thing worked before sending up a hunk of metal like that. Of course who knows they may have set the thing off with Roman Candles as a fuel source LOL

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I have but 4 words for all those "doom & gloom"-mongering prophecists who were claiming N. Korea was days away from setting off WW3:

I told you so.

reply to post by Raider of Truth

i don't see what the big problem is every nation on this planet has the right to go into space as the human race's destiny lies solely in Space

Ah yes but we have to make room for the 50 or so American military communications and spy satellites orbiting the Earth snapping up photos of everyone's sensitive installations and eavesdropping on communications.

We can't afford to let those pesky Koreans take up valuable real estate in Low-Earth orbit.

[edit on 5/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I don't think North Korea's rocket launch was a failure at all. I think it did almost exactly what they wanted it to do, including the international recriminations.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think people are missing the point here,

After everything they were told would happen if they launched, they went ahead and did what they said they would. the fact that it didn't work is besides the point, they'll learn from their mistakes and go again

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

the fact that it didn't work is besides the point, they'll learn from their mistakes and go again

No that's EXACTLY the point.

The United States is once again over-exaggerating the threat of a rogue state to justify an overly aggressive foreign policy.

The fact that N. Korea's missile tests keep failing over and over shows how poor N. Korean engineering really is and how far away they are from successfully developing a Nuclear delivery system.

Nevermind the fact their 2006 Nuclear test didn't even work and they DON'T have the capability to develop viable Nuclear weaponry.

The failure of their missiles proves N. Korea is a paper tiger and there is far too much fear-mongering being disseminated here.

After everything they were told would happen if they launched,

They're not a signatory of the NPT, nor any strategic missile limitations treaty.

Hence they are well within their international rights to test ballistic missiles.

Just because they put a satellite into orbit doesn't mean they are capable of anything more launching a 5 ton scrapyard into the upper atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Has anyone here considered that this missile might have been shot down by an airborn defence laser??

It seems to me that this whole event unfolded right into the US / UN's hands to test their icbm defence net.

just a thought...

All the best,

NeoN HaZe

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Wow! Fifteen threads about this same thing and one FINALLY tells us where it landed! Bout time and good job! Good thing it wasnt a nuke
or someone would be toasted and we'd still be arguing over something else!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Neon Haze

Has anyone here considered that this missile might have been shot down by an airborn defence laser??

Considering the track record of North Korea's development & testing of the Tapeo-Dong missile, I think it's almost a certainty this failure was caused by errors in the North Korean part.

It seems to me that this whole event unfolded right into the US / UN's hands to test their icbm defence net.

Why bother waiting around for a third-world nation to test it's second-rate ICBM technology when the United States has plenty of disposable, advanced ballistic missiles to try shooting down?

The US has been testing the ABL on plenty of far more challenging targets:
optics.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Why bother waiting around for a third-world nation to test it's second-rate ICBM technology when the United States has plenty of disposable, advanced ballistic missiles to try shooting down?

Do you think they would even risk a 1% chance that it succeeded?

Also they need stuff like this to happen to confirm the projects worth and to secure more or continued funding.

Plenty of amazing projects have been cancelled due to no true test case other than those created by the homeland.

I was in Japan when NK launched a missile into the Sea of Japan and I can tell you it is bloody scary...

If NK really wanted to put something up into orbit they have every means to do so by hitching a lift on one of China's rockets.

This launch was posturing and useful for internal propaganda, but that doesn't mean it was very dangerous.

What pray tell do you think would have been the outcome if stage one had landed in some peaceful Japanese town killing many??

Do you get me?

All the best,

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Neon Haze]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Um, ya, I still am! Thanks for asking!

Theres a thread for somebody!!!HINT HINT!!!!
THATS the good stuff!

Still wondering what (really)happened to it though.
Um, uh, keep moving! Nothin' to see here........

Edit to add: there are always two sides of the story.
I enjoy knowing both

[edit on 5-4-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Do you think they would even risk a 1% chance that it succeeded?

Well they risked it in 1993, when North Korea successfully tested it's Nodong-1 missile and again in 1998, when they successfully tested the Tapeodong-1 missile.

No US ships were even dispatched to observe these launches.

What makes you think the United States seriously fears N. Korea's ICBM capability?

An ICBM is not much good when N. Korea cannot successfully demonstrate it can create a fission event and weaponize that into a nuclear warhead.

Also they need stuff like this to happen to confirm the projects worth and to secure more or continued funding.

Plenty of amazing projects have been cancelled due to no true test case other than those created by the homeland.

Like which projects exactly?

Shooting down one of the world's most poorly designed, and inferior-ranged ICBM's is not proof of any weapon system's prowess.

It's like saying: "I'm good at chess because I just beat my 5 year old brother at it."

An American Minuteman ICBM is a far more valid test case for the YAL-1 or ABL or any other ABM system, and so far they have proven they can successfully intercept those missiles with ease.

They don't need to validate their cutting-edge laser technology by testing it on the comparative "bottle-rockets" launched by North Korea.

I was in Japan when NK launched a missile into the Sea of Japan and I can tell you it is bloody scary...

Scary to the public, that is.

So what? More people are afraid of public speaking than dying.

That doesn't mean these missile tests are seriously concerning the American Military Honchos.

If NK really wanted to put something up into orbit they have every means to do so by hitching a lift on one of China's rockets.

Except that N. Korea is in no violation of any UN Security Resolution or treaty by launching it's own satellites.
So they have every right to do it themselves.

What pray tell do you think would have been the outcome if stage one had landed in some peaceful Japanese town killing many??

Stage One refers to the primary booster rocket.

This burns out 5 minutes after launch when it expends all it's fuel.
So if this fell into some Japanese city somehow, all you would get is a loud thud.

Sorry but that's no reason to advocate military action against N. Korea.

There's also a likelihood some Russian, American or British missile test could malfunction and inadvertently land on someone's house too.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The only problem with NK doing this is that they proved it could be done without the finances of the global bank cartel being involved.

They will be punished, I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Never underestimate the enemy.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

First of all, this article says that Russia says that it was a successful launch of a satellite:
www.cnn.com...

So who are we going to believe, the West or the East?? I've been tortured enough by the "West" here in America that I find it hard not to like the "East" better.

I'll go with what Russia and China are saying now, and assume that the launch was successful. America is just going to say it failed to intimidate the North Koreans and continue their reign of fear, as they do to me in America.

Stop blindly following the American propaganda, and open your eyes to what is really going on. They want to control "Everything", and will stop at nothing. America is more like an proxy for something else trying to take over the planet, rather than a decent government.

These series of videos show that North Korea isn't perfect, but is certainly not "Axis Of Evil" material:

If you can't see that America is completely lying to you, then you need to change the color of your skin.. because not only are they lying to you, but you're completely screwed.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by MegaCurious]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The best thing that the world can do is to ignore little il . Let us all pass a resolution to simply not talk about him or NK any more .

Lets not give little il the attention he so desperately seeks , he is simply not worth it .

We know your game little il and we recognize your childish attempts at gaining attention , its not going to work any more .

Let his generals deal with his bouts of child like behavior .

Let our official position be one of simply not noticing him . Can you imaging if every time a world leader was asked about little il there reply was ," sorry , who's he ? "

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join