It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Complicity in Rendition and Torture Pre-dates 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

British Complicity in Rendition and Torture Pre-dates 9/11

cageprisoners.com

A new report by Cageprisoners into the involvement of British authorities in torture and rendition details alarming findings that are too recurrent to ignore. Today Cageprisoners publishes, Fabricating Terrorism II: British Complicity in Renditions and Torture, which highlights 29 cases of individuals who have been subjected to renditions or torture with recurrent allegations of the direct involvement of the British officials even before 9/11.

Strongly reminiscent of the case of former Guantanamo prisoner Binyam Mohamed, the report details the experiences of Farid Hilali, who, years prior to the 'War on Terror' in 1998, was first tortured in Dubai, UAE and then rendered to Morocco where he was further abused – all with the knowledge and collusion of British intelligence officials.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Notice what the spokesman for Cageprisoners, Moazzam Begg, said of the report:

“In the summer of 1998 I was visited by MI5 in my house in England. They told me it was regarding the case of man called Farid Hilali. Hilali had written to me from Dubai, telling me he had been detained there and horribly tortured and forced to sign confessions. He also asked me to find him a lawyer. That is how I first met Gareth Pierce. Three years later, I was abducted by the CIA in Pakistan and subsequently held and tortured in secret locations, Kandahar, Bagram and Guantanamo Bay. MI5 agents interrogated me at every leg of my ordeal – including one who had come to my house in 1998. I hope that the police investigation into Mr. Mohamed’s case will finally demonstrate just how many of us suffered like this and, in my case, a result of my own government’s policies. That is why we have taken them to court.”

Officials making inquiries into the case of Mr Mohamed would do well to consider the statements of Mr Hilali in assessing the extent to which British government agencies have actively colluded with foreign governments in extracting confessions by torture. This new report should also make it clear that Britain’s complicity in torture was systematic and was applied equally - and immorally - against both foreign and British nationals.

The report can be downloaded at:
www.cageprisoners.com

cageprisoners.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thankfully Moazzam Begg and Binyam Mohamed have been repatriated to the UK and all those fabricated charges dropped.

But not after they both spent 3-4 years getting their genitals zapped on a regular basis at Guantanamo for charges the United States never offered a shred of proof for.

For the mean time though, the Spanish government is still keeping up the charade that they have several witnesses who can testify to Farid Hilali being part of a terror organisation.

What really irks me about this whole "Extraordinary Rendition" episode is that only around 200 of the 900 or so detainees in Guatanamo and Bagram have been formally charged as of yet and they're still continuing to hold the rest of them. After more than 5 years in detention, they can't build a case against more than a third of these people.

Christ's sake how long do they need? It took less time to convict all the Nazis at Nuremburg of war crimes.

The Bush Administration never even sought to begin building a case against a good majority of these people (probably because they knew they couldn't), they just wanted to keep them there because they didn't know what else to do with them and repatriation to their home countries was far too costly:

President Obama's plans to expeditiously determine the fates of about 245 terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and quickly close the military prison there were set back last week when incoming legal and national security officials -- barred until the inauguration from examining classified material on the detainees -- discovered that there were no comprehensive case files on many of them.

www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 5/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I know what you mean. The so-called, U.S. government protects their own criminal-organization, and tries to dominate all of the people, who go against them in 1 way or another. We know the masters of the U.S. government are just as guilty as the Nazi government (which has integrated into the world-government).

[edit on 5-4-2009 by News And History]

new topics

top topics

join