It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice bridge ruptures in Antarctic

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Thats an excellent point. I also pointed out ocean acidification in an earlier post and its negative affects on our coral reefs. The coral reefs go, that entire ecosystem could collapse. The sheer area of coral reefs dying off annually would leave most people in shock. Some people don't care, but I think most people don't even know.. There's also the case of "the great pacific garbage patch" (which I also discussed and gave links to). Most people don't even know it exists. I didn't know about it until I read an article about it in Discover magazine a few months ago. Pretty shocking when you consider it is the size of Texas.. AND it is a floating, moving island of indestructible human waste that is killing animals in droves... It is made up of random stuff like tires, ropes, plastic containers, and ice skates.. Fish, birds, sea turtles, and other marine organisms try to eat the plastics thinking they're food (which eventually kills them even if they don't become tangled in the ropes and debris).

The extent to which we affect our planet doesn't just depend on how we pollute. It also depends on how we react and work on fixing what we can while we can. The extent to which we release C02 or affect global warming isn't really that important anymore. You can't just say we're not really contributing that much to C02 levels in the big picture so we aren't detrimentally affecting our planet. We are literally destroying it. We need to be doing everything and anything we can to play our part in at least trying to salvage what is left. This isn't a partisan issue. You can't just ignore the facts of what is occurring at any one time because right wingers and left wingers can't agree on the details... That is moot point with what is currently taking place.

Whether or not we would even have any meaningful, verifiably positive impact on the environment (by not polluting as much) also doesn't matter. The point is that we shouldn't be destroying earth's plant and animal life just because we can't get our act together..

We obviously have limited options and limited time. But let's face it.. Not many people are going to go live in cave in Timbuktoo because they want to do their part.. IMO, that wouldn't make any sense either.

Alot of the technology that could be implemented to decrease our impact on global C02 levels already exist too. Constructing these technologies in a way that would maximize their output would at least give us alternative options right where these options are needed most (at the heart of the problem). These technologies just lack the kind of financial/economic backing they need to kick-start any kind of meaningful environmental movement in the U.S.. I doubt anything like that will happen anytime soon (probably not even during Obama's administration with all these huge challenges he's facing geopolitically and economically).

The point here is that our impact goes far beyond C02 emissions;
Something that really didn't get mentioned or discussed very much earlier in the thread. Just because an animal isn't yet endangered doesn't mean they won't be wiped off the face of the earth in our lifetimes. I think most people underestimate the fragility of our planet's ecosystems, ecological habitats and our ability to destroy them (like a house of cards). Before we do anything, we need to start by giving a damn.. Most people don't.

-ChriS

[edit on 18-4-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

True nuff blaster! Thanks for your help denying ignorance!

None of its even happening so whats the use even worrying?

I guess untill it affects us personally, we will never beleive it anyway!
We aint fish so we dont care, basically. Till we want to eat somethin'!
We forget it will always come back around and bite us somehow!
(unless we move to another planet)

The stupidity really is like Idiocracy the movie.
Poop on your own plate, not mine.......dang environmentalists,
make us have sewers and clean water & stuff! Geez!

We are not that arrogant or greedy to think we did it! Okay.

(dang plastic pollutin' fish!)(why do fish pollute anyway?) Oh well,
uh huh,u huh. snort, snivel, cough, hack, choke, barf,

Edit to clarify, we are not only hurting ourselves and our children....

[edit on 18-4-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
i wonder what the effect will be of dumping a chunk of fresh water , the size of Jamaica into the worlds oceans will have on desalinization.

could it effect the north Atlantic current?

edit for my awful spelling

[edit on 5/4/09 by Harlequin]

I am interested if anyone here has any experience with carbonized water.

If so could you explain what would happen if carbonized salt water was infused with fresh water.

Would the carbon release after the salinity level changed dramatically?

"And the sea's will boil" Hmmmmmmmm

1 10101010

Watcher

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by n120by60w

If I am not mistaken, there are huge amounts of Methane, or one of those gases, trapped on the bottom of the oceans. One of the problems with global warming is that the oceans could start releasing this gas, and the effects could be the end of life as we know it. Yes, the oceans could literally boil with flammable gas.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas

The climate record has been recorded for many hundreds of thousands of years, encompassing many ice ages and fluctuations.

No, we have the ABILITY to model what the climate may have been like via isotopes from ice core and sediment samples, but I can assure you that the climate record has NOT been recorded for many hundreds of thousands of years.

Originally posted by audas
The pattern is very consistent and predictable.

Not when it comes to climate. Which is precisely why anyone who IS scientifically engaged within the industry realizes and lives by a simple credo: Climate is what you expect, WEATHER is what you get.

It is truly that simple.

AB1

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This:

ICE is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.

Source

And this:

The results of ice-core drilling and sea ice monitoring indicate there is no large-scale melting of ice over most of Antarctica, although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent's western coast.

Source

And this:

Antarctica has 90 per cent of the Earth's ice and 80 per cent of its fresh water. Extensive melting of Antarctic ice sheets would be required to raise sea levels substantially, and ice is melting in parts of west Antarctica. The destabilisation of the Wilkins ice shelf generated international headlines this month.

Source

AND this:

However, the picture is very different in east Antarctica, which includes the territory claimed by Australia.

East Antarctica is four times the size of west Antarctica and parts of it are cooling. The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research report prepared for last week's meeting of Antarctic Treaty nations in Washington noted the South Pole had shown "significant cooling in recent decades".

Source

And especially this:

Ice core drilling in the fast ice off Australia's Davis Station in East Antarctica by the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Co-Operative Research Centre shows that last year, the ice had a maximum thickness of 1.89m, its densest in 10 years. The average thickness of the ice at Davis since the 1950s is 1.67m.

Source

Are all fantastic reasons why no one should be panicking AND why maybe they should stop taking such a hardline view on anthropogenic climate shifting.

AB1

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by n120by60w

If I am not mistaken, there are huge amounts of Methane, or one of those gases, trapped on the bottom of the oceans. One of the problems with global warming is that the oceans could start releasing this gas, and the effects could be the end of life as we know it. Yes, the oceans could literally boil with flammable gas.

In south america of "all" life around the lakes that released their CO2 died off in mass. This would be greatly eclipsed if the north Atlantic or North Pacific were touched off by the fresh water.

I would think that the record of any past event like this would show up like a sore thumb in the Ice core records.

1 10101010

Without Wax ---Watcher

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join