It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Out/I'm Not Coming Home Bags - Reviews, Comments, Input, Etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
There have been a few threads with specific users asking whether or not they have a good bag, or similar questions. I have similar questions myself, but instead of starting a thread specifically for myself, I thought we could discuss the bags themselves here.

If this has been done recently, I could not find such a thread in the Search function, so I apologize.

Otherwise, specifically, I'm looking to maximize my potential for my INCH bag/setup. With that in mind, I'm looking outside of the bag at the following:

+ Black SWAT-style cargo pants to hold EDC.
+ A tactical-style BO/INCH vest.
+ An easily-packed jacket.

After dressing "for success", I've also got the actual bag to consider, which I think will be a "SpecOps" large trekking pack. I'm not exactly decided on one, since my "dream pack" costs $600.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The pants and jacket are a good idea but the vest is a little lacking for the price. For the same price you can get a tactical vest with more carry options.

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

Or you can get one and customize it your way-

Just a couple of ideas.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I have a tactical vest, in the case of a bug out, it would be strapped to my BoB/INCH. Wearing it with the pack would just be too cumbersome / clumsy. Keep in mind these vests can weigh as much or usualy more than an empty pack, without holding near as much. You may want to consider a duty belt.

A safari type vest is another consideration. It is just a vest with a lot of extra pockets.

Just my .02

Spiritowl

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Spiritowl]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolaceMournerVII
There have been a few threads with specific users asking whether or not they have a good bag, or similar questions. I have similar questions myself, but instead of starting a thread specifically for myself, I thought we could discuss the bags themselves here.

If this has been done recently, I could not find such a thread in the Search function, so I apologize.

Otherwise, specifically, I'm looking to maximize my potential for my INCH bag/setup. With that in mind, I'm looking outside of the bag at the following:

+ Black SWAT-style cargo pants to hold EDC.
+ A tactical-style BO/INCH vest.
+ An easily-packed jacket.

After dressing "for success", I've also got the actual bag to consider, which I think will be a "SpecOps" large trekking pack. I'm not exactly decided on one, since my "dream pack" costs $600.

Thers some very good kit available at sensible prices, you dont really need to go the gung ho jonny rambo designer label route, IE 5:11 when places like Blacks ( UK ) Regatta(UK) Cabelas(US), USMC(US) do great qwuality stuff at sensible prices. Jacket wise in the US an M65 is as good as anything and in the UK a black SAS smock.There is a huge selection of travel vests available in both nations just do a google, you dont need the most expensive cos its a dead cert you will end up tailoring and modding it to suit your own needs.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I'm a firm beleiver that a vest is only a supplement to an actual bag,or back pack..My theory is that the bare minimum is to be kept in a vest..Credentials,small survival kit,knife,fire arm..EXCt..Space adds up quick on a vest..And if in cold weather having to deal with a fully packed vest is a pain...If used with a BOB or inch bag,if for any reason you need to ditch the bag,you will still have your vest that can support you for a few or more days..

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
I'm a firm beleiver that a vest is only a supplement to an actual bag,or back pack..My theory is that the bare minimum is to be kept in a vest..Credentials,small survival kit,knife,fire arm..EXCt..Space adds up quick on a vest..And if in cold weather having to deal with a fully packed vest is a pain...If used with a BOB or inch bag,if for any reason you need to ditch the bag,you will still have your vest that can support you for a few or more days..

Yup the generally accepted view from an old soldiers viewpoint is that if you have to abandon your pack in a hurry, ambush or whatever you should still have enough of your essential equipment in your pockets and on your belt to survive with, EG your knife should be fastened to you and not your rucksack, your lighter, compass, flashlight, small water bottle should be affioxed to you and not in your bag.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I agree, but from an experienced outdoorsman's view. I prefer packing a vest, or jacket owing to weather, and cordura cargo pants with all the must haves, and then pack my less essentials in a moderate to small back pack. Body mechanics also play a big part. Heaviest items should be packed close to the pelvis, and posteriorly if possible. You'd be surprised how much weight you can carry properly positioned across the lumbar of your back, or on the hips. Next lighter weight class would be upper back. A moderate amount can be packed on the front of the torso, but size is usually the greater issue because it affects mobility. Only pack fairly light/small things on your arms, and legs. Legs lift better than they swing things. Too much in the cargo pants will tire you out quickly. I have gone on 5 day excursions with only a cargo vest, cargo pants, and a camel back, and bedroll on my back. I didn't lack for anything, but I like to bivouac, and don't have to "rough it in style." I'm usually on the trail while my buddies are still trying to stow all their crap.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues

Got to admit to be getting rather partial to these new fangled mesh back travel vests, or mesh lined ones as well. I rather ignored them as gimicky when they first came out but they are a lot cooler and more comfortable to wear in warm weather.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Would love some comment and ideas for additions to my current kit inventory.

Not gonna class it as a BOB/NCHB whatever as there seems to be so many different terms!

60l Bergen
4 season sleeping bag
Sleeping bag liner
Waterproof BiviBag
Double size basha
Self inflating mattress and pillow
50m paracord
Tent pegs
Mallet
Mossie net
Solar shower
Wash kit
Field towel
Small first aid kit and more advanced first aid kit
Various med's
Jetboil stove and stabiliser
Mess tins
KFS set
2 gas cannisters
2 hexi burners
2 24hr ration packs
3l camelback
Milton water filter bag
Hatchet
2 survival knives
Survival kit
Mini SAS survival guide
Strobe
Pen flares
Smoke flare
Wind up/solar radio
Wind up torch
Waterproof clothing and other clothing, boots etc.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sorry folks,

Just realised, I've been a bit of a muppet, completely the wrong thread for my query.

Apologies due.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SolaceMournerVII

One quick point, you mention black 'SWAT-type' cargo pants. I would suggest either a khaki color, or camouflaged BDU type trousers. My reasons follow: Black is a lousy camouflage color. If you end up back around people, it will stick out (seem unusual), whereas khaki or 'army surplus' will not necessarily draw attention. It may seem strange, but the little bits of your kit may draw attention when it is not wanted.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hi,

I am the "devils advocate" here. Though I have an "oh sh it" kit myself in case we MUST quickly evacuate and am unable to make it to my property but that is an option of last resort and I hope this isn't your primary plan of preparation.....

In my opinion, living off the land (unprepared land) is an idiot's idea unless your so, so remote in the wilderness that it is possible. All of these people who believe running to a state park with a damned bag and a gun is a "smart thing" to do would have a rude awakening when they find 10,000 other people who had the same idea.... and many of those people will love to take your stuff when you arrive or gladly take you out when they find you in the woods. Fear & Paranoia can drive normal people to do really crazy things, and let's face it.. some very bad people are also survivalist, it just isn't the family oriented type with morals. Hell, a few months ago I remember a topic which was mentioning killing and stealing from the neighbors with some people justifying it. THAT attitude should wake you up. It would be like a reality show in the woods as "bug out" guys start their own little war in the woods.

Unfortunately, today's modern society with living in cities and sub-divisions makes it hard to prepare a "hidden sanctuary" but I would advise anyone who has the means to prepare a concealed location "preferably underground" to weather out any long term X crisis. To many "survivalist" lunatics will be running around like the "end of the world" during a major crisis and they will be as dangerous if not worse as any wandering gangs of zombies.

Having a year's supply of food stored in your "sanctuary" is the best option. Depending on the crisis, Sit it out & low for a time.

Cover and Concealment is your best defense.... If they don't know your there, they won't be coming to take your stuff.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by infolurker]

new topics

top topics

join