It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. CON. RES. 11 Anti-semitism resolution. An Affront to Free speech?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Condemning all forms of anti-Semitism and reaffirming the support of Congress for the mandate of the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism, and for other purposes

Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives concurring), That Congress--
(1) unequivocally condemns all forms of anti-Semitism and rejects attempts to rationalize anti-Jewish hatred or attacks as a justifiable expression of disaffection or frustration over political events in the Middle East or elsewhere;
(2) decries the comparison of Jews to Nazis perpetrating a Holocaust or genocide as a pernicious form of anti-Semitism, an insult to the memory of those who perished in the Holocaust, and an affront both to those who survived and the righteous gentiles who saved Jewish lives at peril to their own and who fought to defeat the Nazis;
(3) calls on leaders to speak out against manifestations of anti-Semitism that have entered the public debate about the Middle East;
(4) applauds those foreign leaders who have condemned anti-Semitic acts and calls on those who have yet to take firm action against anti-Semitism in their countries to do so;
(5) reaffirms its support for the mandate of the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism; and
(6) urges the Secretary of State--
(A) to maintain the fight against anti-Semitism as a foreign policy priority of the Untied States and to convey the concerns of the United States Government in bilateral meetings;
(B) to continue to raise with United States allies in the Middle East their failure to halt incitement to violence against Jews, including through the use of government-run media;
(C) to urge governments to promote tolerance education and establish mechanisms to monitor, investigate, and punish anti-Semitic crimes, including through utilization of the education, law enforcement training, and civil society capacity building initiatives of the Tolerance and Non-discrimination Department of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE);
(D) to swiftly appoint the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism of the Department of State;
(E) to ensure that Department of State Annual Country Reports on Human Rights and International Religious Freedom Reports continue to report on incidents of anti-Semitism and the efforts of foreign governments to address the problem;
(F) to provide necessary training and tools for United States embassies and missions to recognize these trends; and
(G) to ensure that initiatives of the United States Government to train law enforcement abroad incorporate tools to address anti-Semitism.

Status of Bill

ALL ACTIONS:
3/19/2009:
Sponsor introductory remarks on measure. (CR S3575-3576)
3/19/2009:
Referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations. (text of measure as introduced: CR S3575-3576)
3/31/2009:
Committee on Foreign Relations. Ordered to be reported with an amendment favorably.
4/2/2009:
Committee on Foreign Relations. Reported by Senator Kerry with amendments and with a preamble. Without written report.
4/2/2009:
Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 44.

And you thought you were angry over the anti-blasphemy resolution the UN put in...This is worded in such a way that it could be used to prosecute an individual by international tribunal for speaking out against Israeli Government policies though international "partnerships" and "aid" to law enforcement overseas. It also funnels unspecified amounts of money to "Combat anti-Semitism".

(A) to maintain the fight against anti-Semitism as a foreign policy priority of the Untied States and to convey the concerns of the United States Government in bilateral meetings;
(B) to continue to raise with United States allies in the Middle East their failure to halt incitement to violence against Jews, including through the use of government-run media;
(C) to urge governments to promote tolerance education and establish mechanisms to monitor, investigate, and punish anti-Semitic crimes, including through utilization of the education, law enforcement training, and civil society capacity building initiatives of the Tolerance and Non-discrimination Department of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE);
(D) to swiftly appoint the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism of the Department of State;
(E) to ensure that Department of State Annual Country Reports on Human Rights and International Religious Freedom Reports continue to report on incidents of anti-Semitism and the efforts of foreign governments to address the problem;
(F) to provide necessary training and tools for United States embassies and missions to recognize these trends; and
(G) to ensure that initiatives of the United States Government to train law enforcement abroad incorporate tools to address anti-Semitism.

The above sections deal with internation Law Enforcement cooperation in dealing with racist groups. But as stated above, racist groups are far from the only target. Even a Jew who is though to have espoused rhetoric against Israeli policies in Gaza and elsewhere could be prosecuted under these provisions. These aren't just random offerings, some one asked for these provisions. My guess is AIPAC, but I will have to dig further into congressional records to be certain.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
They must feel threatened in a big way...
They should look in the mirror sometimes, for the actions they took over the years, should make them worried.
But what goes around comes around, just my 2 cents... (law of return)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by teklordz

Well this isn't about them. This is about us. This could damage the First amendment should someone be on TV one day condemning the actions of the IDF in a future conflict, or any policy by the Israeli government period, or anything that could be construed as anti-Semitic.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Whereas, interspersed with expressions of legitimate criticism of Israeli policy and actions, anti-Semitic imagery and comparisons of Jews and Israel to Nazis have been widespread at demonstrations in the United States, Europe, and Latin America against Israel's actions, and placards held at many demonstrations across the globe have compared Israeli leaders to Nazis, accused Israel of carrying out a `Holocaust' against Palestinians, and equated the Jewish Star of David with the Nazi swastika

These thing are all protected under the 1st Amendment. While I don't support or condone any actions true or false in this thread, I am admittedly biased to be wary of potential Free Speech violation that could arise from such "enforcement".

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I got to thinking about this, and every time they try to pass a law like this introduce another bill like - 'Mandatory registration of all Zionist Jews bill' or something like that. That would stop these bills if not open a few eyes.

I'm not anti Jewish but i am against Zionist Jews.

I'm going to be watching this bill in the future and try to find out who's behind this that would be stomping on our first amendment right.

S&F

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
OK...here is the list of names that that co-sponsored it with ms. Collins introducing it.

Ms. COLLINS**
Mr. CARDIN,
Ms. SNOWE,
Mr. RISCH,
Ms. MIKULSKI,
Mr. ISAKSON,
Mr. CHAMBLISS,
Mr. BINGAMAN,
Mr. SCHUMER,
Mr. SANDERS,
Mr. BAYH,
Mr. BENNETT,
Mr. CASEY,
Ms. LANDRIEU,
Mr. KYL,
Mrs. GILLIBRAND,
Mr. WYDEN,
Mr. LIEBERMAN,
Mrs. FEINSTEIN,
Mr. SHELBY,
Mrs. MURRAY,
Mr. BARRASSO,
Ms. MURKOWSKI,
Mr. ROBERTS,
Mr. BROWN,
Mr. SPECTER,
Mr. NELSON of Nebraska,
Mr. MENENDEZ,
Ms. CANTWELL,
Mr. ALEXANDER,
Mr. WICKER,
Mr. THUNE,
Mr. VOINOVICH,
Mr. HATCH,
Mr. DORGAN,
Mr. NELSON of Florida,
Mr. KERRY,
Mr. MCCONNELL,
Mr. DURBIN,
Mr. WHITEHOUSE,
Mr. CORKER,
Mr. BURR

submitted the following concurrent resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
After extensive searching through the AIPAC website www.aipac.org... I have found little in the way of lobbying.
It however after searching through their legislation archive I have noticed a certain pattern. Many of these resolutions share very similar language to the point of near uniformity. If they haven't spoken up for it yet I'm sure they will be soon. I'll keep this thread updated.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

(2) decries the comparison of Jews to Nazis perpetrating a Holocaust or genocide as a pernicious form of anti-Semitism, an insult to the memory of those who perished in the Holocaust, and an affront both to those who survived and the righteous gentiles who saved Jewish lives at peril to their own and who fought to defeat the Nazis;

Wow, so now we can't identify Israel's brand of genocide, because it would belittle the Jews who perished in the holocaust.

So if I understand this clause correctly, its OK to commit genocide, as long as you're Jewish?

Or its not OK, but since recognizing the fact that Israel commits genocide would be comparing Jews to Nazis (because Nazis also committed genocide), we just can't say anything about it?

What the hell is wrong with our government? How much influence can Israel possibly have over us?

Is this the United States of America? Or the United Protectorates of Israel?

We lost our sovereignty in 1948.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
There are other such threats from other religious groups particularly in the UN.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It would be very nice if they defined what anti-semitism is. Good, precise definition would help us mortals "behave". If we are not allowed to say anything bad about Israel (including weather, soccer or music), then so be it. If there is an official law, it would be easier to obey. This way, with no clear description, we don't know how to behave.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well considering the fact that all living in that area are Semites, this includes the Palestinians, I'd say they're going to have a tough time with that one.

Defining a Semite:

en.wikipedia.org...

If you combine the video above with the Wikipedia entry you get a seriously compounded problem. It is an underhanded way for the US government to Approve the UN measure without pissing off their constituents.

Christ people need to #ing read more(Not directed at you greshnik just in general).

[edit on 5-4-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
So what does this mean that I can't tell my wife "jokingly of course" that all though I love her & that she is a very generous person, that sometimes she is "Cheaper than a New York Jew"? Wheres Don Rickles when ya need him?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smokehouseslim

Careful with that free speech there buddy.

That makes you an enemy of the state.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Don't worry my wife saw the post...OUCH!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Wow.....I mean just ..... wow. This is really against the first amendment breach in TWO forms. First is the obvious and that is freedom of speech. The other however is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" This my friend is a law respecting an establishment of religion. It does indeed give carte blanc legalization for genocide if you are Jewish. Amazing what religious nuts we have in congress.

A certain Senator "I dont care if the ice caps are melting no one will destroy the planet but god"

We are screwed religion will doom our earth...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Indeed, such a resolution could be the basis by which one is legally imprisoned or fined for any speech or actions considered "Anti-Semitic".
Coupling the language in this bill with the UN anti-blasphemy resolution, should it become binding, will become a two pronged attack on our Constitution.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
First off, when did the Jewish community become the soul-owners of the term/race Semite?

Personally, I am sick and tired of being labeled anti-Semite when ever I criticize the actions of the Israeli government. I am not anti-Jewish, let alone anti-Semite....

Secondly, I can not imagine that this bill would stand honest scrutiny to ensure it adheres to the Constitution of the United States. If it is passed....

How can the people behind this bill take it seriously?

what exactly does "hatred or attacks" mean? Does it mean that if I say "the Jewish Government is an oppressive regime that is perpetuating a holocaust against the Palestinian people" mean that I will have broken the law?

I hear people crying about how Islamic law is taking over our legal system, this is by FAR the most invasive action taken on account of a single culture on the political/legal system here in the USA.

And to be quite honest, it pisses me off.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I don't think this is about being anti-this or that, though. It is about criminalizing dissent in all it's forms. This could be used to punish nearly anything. If you choose Halal over Kosher for instance, you could be a terrorist.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Animal

I don't think this is about being anti-this or that, though. It is about criminalizing dissent in all it's forms.

Sounds about right mate, and frankly, as I have already noted, it PISSES me off.

I am tired of the box and I want out.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by teklordz

I totally agree.

How you treat others will come back to haunt you!

Sometimes *karma* takes awhile but it eventually

reciprocates action for action, word for word.

new topics

top topics

join