It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea: N. Korea launches rocket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

S. Korea: N. Korea launches rocket

www.cnn.com

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- North Korea has launched a long-range rocket, U.S. and South Korean officials confirmed to CNN on Sunday.

The payload of the rocket remains unclear. North Korea has said the rocket was to carry a satellite into space, but the United States, South Korea and other nations fear it could be a missile with a warhead attached.

Earlier Sunday, before the launch, South Korea's national security council called an emergency meeting amid concerns that a North Korean rocket launch was imminent, a presidential spokesperson told CNN Sunday.

The rocket -- launched at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday (10:30 p.m. ET Saturday) -- was a "provocative act in violation" of U.N. Security Council resolution on North Korea's weapons program, said Fred Lash, a State Department spokesman, told reporters.

A senior Obama administration official confirmed that the rocked did clear Japan.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It finaly happend and thank goodness war hasn't broken out. Still scary that we don't know what the payload was.

"Obama warned that the United States will join with its allies to take "appropriate steps" to let North Korea know it can't violate United Nations rules and get away with it"

Seems they just did.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
WWIII here we come!

I love false flags.

link   
Like a billion of these threads already.

two lines

link   
oh BS. obama will hide in his new crib,throw his wednesday parties and slowly gut our country.
what an inexperienced wimp. they said he would be tested and he failed. goodbye amerika
god help us all.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I wish that these false flags would happen less.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Why does the article keep referring to Sunday? Is it Sunday in North Korea? So... what happened? Surely we should know by now. It's been nearly 12 hours since the rocket was launched. Why aren't they giving us any details? Is this playing on the news? I can't find a corroborating source from any other mainstream news media. Why is this getting so little attention? Shouldn't we have felt something if a nuclear missile was tested? If it really was a nuclear missile are we going to go to war with the country or what? Isn't it about time for regime change?

[edit on 4-4-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yep, it's sunday in N. Korea.

I love Obama, his patriotism.

He'll give those N. Koreans a good stern talking to, maybe even no desert before bedtime.

Then he'll send them a youtube video and a e.t movie, wanting to be friends!!!!

If Bush was here, all hell would've broken loose. Kinda miss those days.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cognoscente

Actually, it's been about two hours.

A little bit less than twelve, I'm afraid. The rocket cleared Japan, nothing happened.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Did it enter space? Did it have a satellite? All I am reading is it cleared Japan and dropped its boosters.

Is this in space then? What if it's a space weapon?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Why is Japan Today reorting that the launch detection was a mistake?
Japan Today

As Japan went on high alert in anticipation of an imminent rocket launch by North Korea, erroneous launch information sent out by the Japanese government on Saturday led to widespread confusion among the public and municipal authorities.

Media organizations, both domestic and international, reported the notification as breaking news and some municipalities issued alerts to their residents based on an emergency email message sent by the central government.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Japan Today

The misstep has embarrassed the administration of Prime Minister Taro Aso, who was apparently hoping that by quickly conveying the launch information to the public, he could raise his profile as an effective crisis manager.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
so....there was no launch
or am i not getting "it"

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Yep, it's sunday in N. Korea.

I love Obama, his patriotism.

He'll give those N. Koreans a good stern talking to, maybe even no desert before bedtime.

Then he'll send them a youtube video and a e.t movie, wanting to be friends!!!!

If Bush was here, all hell would've broken loose. Kinda miss those days.

Ahh yes, nuclear threats. Always fun aren't they?
The problem here is war-mongering on all sides.
You think Obama is just the opposite of Bush, I say
he's the same.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Corbin Dalus

Japan reported that the launch happened about 24 hours ago because of a mistake with their detection system.

The launch happened about 2 hours ago or so. Everything seems to have worked, and the satellite went up. As for what it was, it was probably something along the lines of Sputnik. They claim it was a communications satellite, but at the orbit that the missile could get it up to, it would only be over North Korea about 15 minutes every orbit (about 90 minutes per orbit) maximum.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
so the dung dried enough to light ......
that's just wonderful
hope the little fella feels better now

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So what was the point of deploying the anti-missile ships? If we never had any intention of shooting it down, I'd say we look like quite the fool now.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Japhod58 Thanks for clarification. CNN;s running it now.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
yay nothing happened just like i thought it would!

2nd line

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LwSiX
So what was the point of deploying the anti-missile ships? If we never had any intention of shooting it down, I'd say we look like quite the fool now.

Pretty much a no brainer and the only fools are the ones that don't pay attention.

The point is you observe and take notes. That way in the future you will know what procedures took place before launch. You will know how long it took to get off the launch pad, how fast it is traveling at specific altitudes, when it drops stages, how high it goes etc. You will know how well your equipment was able to track the rocket and what visual and electronic signatures it left, so that you can exploit those with your TADS (Target Acquisition and Designation Systems) in the future if needed.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by verylowfrequency]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join