It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Antarctic ice shelf has disappeared: scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

An Antarctic ice shelf has disappeared: scientists

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - One Antarctic ice shelf has quickly vanished, another is disappearing and glaciers are melting faster than anyone thought due to climate change, U.S. and British government researchers reported on Friday.

They said the Wordie Ice Shelf, which had been disintegrating since the 1960s, is gone and the northern part of the Larsen Ice Shelf no longer exists. More than 3,200 square miles (8,300 square km) have broken off from the Larsen shelf since 1986.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This is sounding pretty scary, but at the same I really don't believe in global warming. I mean just look at how long winter lasted this time.

The U.N. Climate Panel projects that world atmospheric temperature will rise by between 1.8 and 4.0 degrees Celsius because of emissions of greenhouse gases that could bring floods, droughts, heat waves and more powerful storms.

MORE powerful storms, more powerful than what we've already had?

This summer will be crazy, the weather is like a terroist.
Maybe we should attack the nature before it attacks us
Let's see how that works!!!!!!

Hey.... wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
WOW...

So ya know what this says to me? We'd better get used it and fast!

MAN MADE global warming is BS. The planet and its climate would have changed anyway. All nature is doing is putting us in our place intellectually, and blowing every theory we thought we had out the water (pun intended).

We are quite arrogant to think two things:

* That we are bigger than nature
* That we can change nature

So the seas are rising? And..........???? What are they actually going to do about it????? Build more friggin' wind turbines? Useful.

The ice caps are melting?? I thought that is what ice did when it reached a temperature above freezing point (any temperature, even +0.1°C). OK - technically it is a bit more complex, but you get the idea.

Not one peson is denying we are at the tail-end of the "little ice age". The clue to what is happening is right there: tail-end. To *LEAVE* the "little ice age", ALL the ice must melt. Someone forgot to tell the environmentalists this.

I'm not worried for the simple reason that this is natural. If it means the end of our species, or some of it, then so be it., If nature intends this, I'm not going to stop it.

Humans are at fault for building cities in flood plains long after we knew their purpose and the risk, and for over-populating the planet. Nature might be having a bit of a cull by doing what it is doing.

The true intellects amongst us will say "OK - this is what we are facing" and will plan to survive the CHANGES. Not act like complete idiots and suggest that by taking all the cars off the road and taxing the population to hell and back that GW will disappear. Money has no effect on nature. It doesn't care how much you pay in taxes.

Climate change is to blame, according to the report from the U.S. Geological Survey

Of course CLIMATE CHANGE is to blame. Thanks to psychologists however, people now associate "CLIMATE CHANGE" with the meaning "WE HUMANS DID IT". Like hell we did!

This is perfectly natural folks. Don't let them brain-wash you.

I fear it is too late however...

[edit on 4-4-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I really like the way the MSM hyped this up over global warming by saying;

Scientists suggest the collapse.....provides evidence of global warming.

ummm... which scientists? How many agree?

Yet on the other hand it seems that this was expected and has been known to be possible for quite a long time, because they go right ahead and tell you something that contradicts the first part....

The shelf has been retreating since the 1990s ........ David Vaughan, a glaciologist with the British Antarctic Survey, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency, "Two days ago it was intact. We've waited a long time to see this." ......

They say the Antarctic Peninsula has experienced unprecedented warming over the last 50 years.

news.bbc.co.uk...

50 years... 50 years of global warming yet we've 'only just realised' what's going on...
Almost everyone I know can't understand how the UK was brought to a standstll this winter from all the snow yet we are supposed to have a planet that is warming up?

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It didn't vanish at all.

It melted.

new topics

top topics

join