It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'll Have A "Draught Dodger!"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
source

Canadian Parliament votes again to let U.S. war resisters stay

By Mike Ferner

April 04, 2009 "Information Clearing House" -- -For the second time in 10 months, Canada’s House of Commons told Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his Conservative government, including Immigration Minister, Jason Kenney, to stop deporting U.S. soldiers resisting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The vote united the three opposition parties, the Liberals, the Bloc Quebecois and the New Democratic Party in a close 129-125 vote.

Last week, the War Resisters Support Campaign rallied for former Army soldier, Kimberly Rivera, the first female U.S. soldier to go to Canada. Nearly 100 people filled the chairs and lined the aisles at the Steelworkers hall in Toronto for Rivera, her husband and three children, the youngest born in Canada six months ago.

The morning after the March 25 rally, Rivera was due to be deported back to the U.S. to face an Army court martial, but Federal Judge James Russell agreed with Rivera’s argument that resisters who speak out against the war publicly in Canada receive harsher sentences, and granted her a temporary stay.

“This was the fifth time that the court ruled that Iraq war resisters face harsher punishment if they’re sent back to the U.S.,” said Michelle Robidoux, spokesperson for the Toronto-based support campaign. “The courts have spoken, Parliament has spoken and Canadians have made their views clear. These conscientious objectors should not be sent back to the United States to face jail time for opposing the Iraq War.”

Several other resisters were at the Steelworkers hall to support Rivera and her family, including Jeremy Hinzman, the first U.S. serviceperson to go to Canada during this war, Phil McDowell and his wife Jamine, Chuck Wylie, Dale Landry, Ryan Johnson and three others who did not want their names mentioned.

At that rally, MP Olivia Chow, NDP Immigration Critic, announced that the following day she would introduce a resolution in the House of Commons restating Parliament’s position from last June. That measure as well as the most recent one, are non-binding resolutions the Harper government does not have to legally obey. However, to give an idea how much public support is behind letting war resisters stay in Canada, campaign organizers feared Chow’s surprise announcement might lose the votes of some Liberal MPs who did not appreciate the NDP grabbing the limelight on the issue.

source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now, this is good news, if accepted by the Canadian goverment. I'm in favor of keeping here in Canada those soldiers who seek protection from our country. War is completely ridiculus. Any war is completely ridiculus.
When will humanity wake up and change their ways?

[edit on 4-4-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Nope, don't agree with this at all. To start with, she's not a draft dodger, unless I missed something in the news that the US has reinstated the draft. What's the difference? One is making a person do something they don't want to. The other is a person who has a contract with the state for services rendered for compensation paid. She backed out of that contract. Ship her home.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I was thinking more about soldiers who won't fight anymore for stupid wars. Canada is a peaceful country, and living here is pretty good.
If i were PM of Canada, i'd keep all who wishes to stay, no problem whatsoever. We have lots of room, the country is huge, and population is only about 32 million souls, so...

Edit to say: who says we can't brake contracts anyhow...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz
Edit to say: who says we can't brake contracts anyhow...

Try it. Don't pay your rent/mortgage for a few months and see what happens.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by teklordz

Hmmm. Draft dodger? Can you please advise us when the United States started drafting (involuntary enlistment in the military) civilians? The last draft I'm aware of was for the Vietnam Conflict back in the 1970's. Am I wrong?

Also, how can a 50.79% - 49.21% vote be uniting? Seems about as divisive I can imagine.

The vote united the three opposition parties, the Liberals, the Bloc Quebecois and the New Democratic Party in a close 129-125 vote.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I don't see the relevance of this reply. I'm talking about contracts that binds us to take actions that goes against logic and common sense.
I'm talking about contracts that send you to war zones, and being forced sometimes to kill, and all of it for a pack of lies...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I don't see the relevance of this reply. I'm talking about contracts that binds us to take actions that goes against logic and common sense.
I'm talking about contracts that send you to war zones, and being forced sometimes to kill, and all of it for a pack of lies...

Um, you DO realize the she VOLUNTEERED for the Army. SHE made that decision. What do you think the Army is for? Parades and patty cake?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

She had a change of heart, clearly. And I have no problem with that. Maybe it was that whole pregnant with children thing that made her realize caring for life is a little bit better than killing life. just a tad, though.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Armies should not exist in the first place. We're just a bunch of humans that refuse to evolve to higher consciousness.
Wars don't make sense, it's anti-human.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
She had a change of heart, clearly. And I have no problem with that. Maybe it was that whole pregnant with children thing that made her realize caring for life is a little bit better than killing life. just a tad, though.

Maybe she should have waited to have a family until her commitment was up. I don't know, I'm having a helluva time finding a bio on her. Anyone have one? I'd like to know when she enlisted, when she had kids, etc.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker

Doesn't surprise me at all that responsibility for personal actions, her voluntarily raising her right hand and taking an oath to serve in the U.S. Army, has no bearing on a lot of peoples' decision matrix in this. Explains a lot for the economic situation we currently find ourselves in.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Finally found one. She already had 2 kids when she enlisted. Looks like she didn't think her choices through:

In January 2006, Kim joined the Army, and the family was posted to Colorado, where Kim was trained as a truck driver. The $8,000 signing bonus seemed like a fortune. Kim bought a tan sofa and chair ("microfiber suede," she says proudly), plus a TV and toys for the kids. Then her orders came for Iraq. "When they told me I'd be carrying a 20-pound semiautomatic weapon, it hit home," she says. "I felt like they were telling me I wasn't coming back."

teamsugar.com...

I guess Uncle Sam lived up to his end of the contract but when the time came for her, she bailed. She joined in 2006. THERE'S A WAR GOING ON!!! What the hell did she think was going to happen?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
We all make mistakes in life. That one was huge, but there's always a solution to problems.
We need to start finding solutions to world problems and the first problem we have to address is us. Us as a species, with qualities and faults.

The fact that uncounsciouness is so widespread does not help in any way. We need to change our ways, or else, we're on the road to total destruction. It happened before (previous Earth evolutions) and we must stop this one before it's too late.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

We all make mistakes in life. That one was huge, but there's always a solution to problems.

She made more than one. She expected that she wouldn't be treated as another soldier but she was. Then she reneged on her contract and left the country. That's a felony I believe. The solution? Go back and face the consequences to her poor choices.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
"Also, how can a 50.79% - 49.21% vote be uniting?"

The article states that the vote united the three opposition parties (Liberals, NDP, BQ), who are the three parties who voted overwhelmingly in favor of this. The party which voted against this were the Conservatives, a highly unpopular party in Quebec, which is currently in power with a minority Government.

I think approximately 65% of Canadians did not vote for the Conservatives in the previous election. The reason why they are in power is because the rest of the vote was split amongst the three other previously mentioned opposition parties.

The Conservatives are pushing for the North American Union and the selling out of Canadian resources. They also support the elimination of Canadian sovereignty, although they won't come clean with their agenda due to obvious political repercussions.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I do not agree. She was betrayed by the US military.
All the soldiers sent to any wars are lied too, plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I do not agree. She was betrayed by the US military.

How did the military betray her? Logic please.

All the soldiers sent to any wars are lied too, plain and simple.

Soldier(One Look dictionary):

▸ noun: an enlisted man or woman who serves in an army

What do you think the Army does?

Edit: To add:

Army(One Look again)

▸ noun: a permanent organization of the military land forces of a nation or state

[edit on 4-4-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
"We all make mistakes in life."

How about the "mistakes" which were made by the warhawks who falsely stated that Iraq had Weapons of Mass Destruction? Why is it OK to hold these soldiers accountable for their mistakes, but not hold the people who sent her to Iraq accountable for their mistakes? Typical BS hypocrisy.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Exactly! Thanks for the support, because this whole war issue was started with a bunch of lies in the first place.
That is the logic in my last post.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hope someday an American recognizes her for the deserter she is, and doles out the proper justice in such a case.

And this is one of the reasons why I shopped around when I bought my car to make sure next to zero of it was made in or profited anyone in Canada. I bought a Toyota built in Kentucky.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join