It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal marriage ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I recently herd that if you and your partner sign the wedding certificate in your family bible and have it signed by two witnesses it becomes a " legal " marriage , is this true ?

The presentation that offered this info then went on to say , that if you go to the government to obtain a license of marriage you are in fact , asking for there permission to get married and as such you are giving the government an authority over your union .

If one could simply have a ceremony of family and friends that concluded with the signing of the marriage certificate in there family bible why get a marriage license at all ?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Each country has its own laws about the subject. You must tell where you live first.

In my country you don't need to legal marry someone to have obligations and rights like a legal married couple. If the relationship is public know, and there is the intention to form a family... after someone time if you "divorce" you have the same obligations and rights AS legal married couple.

[edit on 4/4/09 by blackcube]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I dont know if its true,but i doubt it.Marriage is a state affair..if you are not recognised by the state as being married,you are for all intensive purposes not married.I could be wrong though..

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You would have to check your state laws. In some states if you and your partner share a bill than you are common law married.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well i know there's common law marriage's.

Becouse you live with someone for so long ..you are legally married to them.

Ohio is one of those state's.

My aunt died last year..63 years old..
She was with a guy but never married him...he lived with her for 8 year's..
He got the house money all of it..unless she wrote down otherwise.

top topics

join