It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recession persists, but jobless benefits ending

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seany
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

what happens in the US when the unemployment runs out?

is there a welfare system?

There is for some ppl, most ppl do not qualify.

It will not hold up forever as it is tied to Social Security and that is
set to run dry due to the baby boomers retiring in droves.

There are many things occurring that are going to run the US
into the toilet and not all of it is clear to ppl.

100's of trillions in derivatives are just a ploy to steal all the
retirement money and pensions from ppl.

All of this was planned, and Mad(e)off and Stafford are just the
first few caught before "ponzimonium" is discovered to have
occurred because they shuffled all their debt over to the
unregulated OTC market to avoid the eyes of the SEC.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
My sister started working in a plant here, it was a Burlington cotton proccessing plant, when she was only 16, she stayed there for the next 23 years, and it closed after the NAFTA agreement, it was transferred to Mexico. She took her experience ( she is a trained fixer, or mechanic) to another plant here, got a job, and it too moved to Mexico. Now the third company she has worked for here has now closed, due to the economy, and she has been endlessly searching for a new job, in any surrounding county, she is willing to drive long distance, whatever it takes, but no offers. Her unemployment ran out, a couple of months ago, her husband was injured ( both legs broken) and they are currently drawing food stamps to feed themselves. I find this sickening, and it is really sad that there is not an answer. We can't all just go on food stamps and welfare, the money is not there to feed and house all the unemployed!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Look to the past because our current leaders and thieves
are recycling what was done before, just none of us was alive to
remember it.

Read the history of the Great Depression, and the Weimar Republic
in Germany.

Read about Prescott Bush and the Union Banking corporation.

None of this is new, its all been done before.

The country is being setup to collapse because once everything is
worth almost nothing they can buy it up from the poor and starving
for pennies on the dollar and we will work for pennies because
we have no choice.

This engineered catastrophe of derivatives and other scams are
being funded by our money thru these endless bailouts that now
top 11 trillion dollars.

You don't see that figure in the mainstream news because ppl would
freak, but here it is :

Stimulus + Bailout = over 11 Trillion USD

To make matters worse we are about to lose world reserve currency
status as I explained in one of my other posts.

That means we will need to buy another type of money to buy oil.

We buy over 70% of our oil from other nations.

Oil at $150 a barrel is gonna look CCCHHEEAAAPPPPP.....

Just at mention of the dollar losing world reserve currency status,
and Geithner saying he was open to it, it lost more in one week
than any other week in the last 24 years.

Once it happens look for the dollar to be drove off a cliff.

It will have the glide profile of a lead anvil in flight.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Already discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Bring on the higher crime rate.

Also shows how bad the market really is. Personally I dont believe the government should be supporting people who have lost their jobs. I didnt go get unemployment benefits and I have been without a job for 6 months now.

The money we can collect for unemployment is money we have been paying into the system from every paycheck we have ever gotten. Many people losing their jobs do not live with their parents, they are the heads of the household or single with nowhere to turn. Do you really believe that everyone who loses their job should lose the place they live and end up on the street? Even people who rent small apartments and live within their means? Take it from me, I live alone and I was NOT able to meet my rent, utility bills, car insurance, groceries etc etc on what I got from unemployment. I went through most of my food storage in the time I was out of work. There was nothing else to eat. I hope you rethink your stand from a larger viewpoint.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

We are on the same page. One thing I enjoy reading about is WW2 and what led to the whole ordeal. The collapse of the German financial system created a lot of hungry people. The one man that stood up to lead that nation was a lunatic but they followed. People will do about anything when they are hungry and turn a blind eye to illegal activities.

The writing is on the wall fo us to repeat history. Unfortunately we have farmed out so much manufacturing (including parts supply for our military), we will be hit harder than Germany. I really see the USA returning to an agricultural based economy in a big collapse. It will take some time for industrial knowledge to return.

In the mean time people are going around crying about global warming or climate change making things even harder for manufacturers and consumers. Like anyone is going to give a flip about a carbon foot print soon.

The actual unemployment numbers are very scary. As others have been posting, many are not included in the percentage anymore. Our country is already bankrupt. There is no Social Security Lockbox fund. Our wonderful leaders have already raided that money. There is almost no oversight for the people receiving SS money. Many are young able bodied people that can work but have figured out how to fool the system. In the mean time our new president of change keeps creating new programs to spend money on and signing bills that nobody has read. As we continue to borrow from ourselves the hole gets deeper and deeper. If the reserve currency is changed we will have nobody to borrow from.

If the reserve currency is changed then it is over for the USA. Many in the G20 know this and wish to knock the USA down a few rungs on the ladder of power. They all know as the USA continues to borrow against itself it also harms them financially.

So ultimately, I'm sure the government will find some way to print more money to cover unemployment/welfare until the rug is pulled out from under them when the world gets sick of the careless nature of those handling the US financial debacle.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by on_yur_6]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ya and fear of losing the world reserve currency may be enough reason for the gov't to finally get tough on the financial oligarch's (which seems to be a requirement before real recovery has a chance).it is ironic that i distinguish between the gov't and the financial oligarchs when often they are overlapping and interchangeable...geithner...summers...rubin......seems they MAY be taking last offers for golden life jackets.....before the financial sector is given it's medicine........but i am not holding my breath....human nature may suggest they won't give the financial sector their medicine until it's too late and the creditors say NO MAS (goodbye world reserve currency and super power status when that happens!) ...esp since they are fox's in the henhouse!

..problem is the creditors depend on their export industry's to the U.S so much right now....and they know it takes time to transfer an economy from export growth to one more balanced with consumption (also takes a stronger currency (YUAN) as well.....how aggessive has china been in taking the steps needed to transfer it's economy toward a balance of consumption....this will be needed to minimize political and social upheaval........as well as a prerequisite to creditos like them aggressively diverisying (not abandoning) away from the dollar.....no doubt the GW carbon footprint B.S is also a potential hurdle that china would have to deal with should they also try to increase consumption....however they could purchase more Carbon offsets.... seems like the low carbon footprint world the PTB have waiting in the wings.......is a way for people to willfully accept a global re-setting of GDP growth down and the subsequent fall in the standard of living.....at the same time perhaps creating another profit opp. for Bankers...

[edit on 5-4-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

I just moved back into my families home. At my age it is interesting to say the least.

I feel I should specify what I mean by my comments. If you lose your job you should have enough money saved up to support yourself but that is not the way it works these days. Gotta get that new SUV and 52" screen tv...

By having Unemployment Benefits it allows people to think they will have their jobs and a small income even if they do not have a job. If one were to save the extra money they get instead of getting the fancy new gizmo that everyone else has, there would be a lot less debt in society.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tadarida

As a child I was raised by an always prepared Father. After he passed away I realized what he was preparing for and started to do so myself.

Not everyone has contingency plans for everything, but because I do for most situations, I have this opinion.

I doubt I will change my stance any time soon. Though seeing it from other people's eyes is always an experience I enjoy and want to thank you for that.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Wait until the weflare checks stop coming in the mail...hope you don't live in the citry..by the end of this year it is going to be real dicy..people in the country already are not dependent on the gov..and are prepared..

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

If you lose your job you should have enough money saved up to support yourself but that is not the way it works these days

I agree whole heartedly. But you're right today saving is for schmucks, and credit is for everyone else. Blame the bankers all you want but in the end it all comes down to us accepting what they extended with their dirty hands, and we just ignored it because we were greedy.

If I lose my job tomorrow I will still have a place to live, I will still eat, I will still be able to get medical care.

If I lose my job tomorrow I won't be going on vacation, I won't be eating steak, and I won't be getting my teeth whitened.

Too many people have their priorities messed up.

I hear it on the news all the time, interviewing some guy who just got layed off at some * fill in the blank* plant.. Apparentley he had no idea, and now his family is screwed...HAD NO IDEA?!?

If you're working today then you have a damn good idea that your job might not be around forever. I highly suggest you prepare.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
[...] I didnt go get unemployment benefits and I have been without a job for 6 months now.

not a wise decision...If you were 'eligible' for un-employment,

you actually earned & bought that unemployment check
because your employer counted the cost of your unemployment insurance
in the wage they 'negotiated' with you...

besides. If you do not use up the covered wages you have accrued in your 'account'... then the Employer, good-or-bad, will get a refund of the
'premiums' they paid on your behalf for insured wages.

iow... your losing out on the basic 26 weeks of normal unemployment---
plus the 20 week extension by the Federal gov't,
plus the 2nd extended 13 weeks the Federal gov't gave later,
Plus the 3rd extension of 13-20 weeks in Obamas' stimulus to the states with the highest unemployment rates
(now at 18 states nationwide)

tightening-your-belt, or refusing to receive unemployment checks..
actually harms the system by skewing the stastistics on the needs of the population & future congressional help ->
& also rewards the people who laid-you-off in the first place

consider carefully your decisions in the future, thanks

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Our Gov't is Giving this country away.

I am so beyond pissed with our current political status and the lack of our congressional leaders having not one principled leg to stand on. While giving our personal freedoms away to other countries, without any oversight. All in an effort to acquire more votes to get re-elected, at the expense of American citizens. Other nations are viewing us as cowards because we cannot stand on any principals or the laws of the land. Our government bends our laws and takes away our rights to suit their political agenda, and we just give it to them on a silver platter. I am ashamed of what this country has become. A corrupt, greedy, self profligate, corporatist, selfish, stumbling, demented, child king, of a nation with no back bone. My friend Bob here shows us the real truths, in a very unique style of his own. Whats going on in America is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE! www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I bet people would love to save their money for something to fall back on, but a lot of people live pay to pay and don't have enough money to save.

Not only that some people have to borrow to make it another month, like needing heating oil TODAY, but you don't have the money today, so one gets oil on their credit card, then the water bill comes, or the car breaks down. The cost of existing grows faster than the rates of pay increases, gotta feed the pigs at the top eh.
Ya know, stuff like that.

A lot of people need Unemployment Insurance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join