It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recession persists, but jobless benefits ending

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Recession persists, but jobless benefits ending

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - In the coming weeks and months, hundreds of thousands of jobless Americans will exhaust their unemployment benefits, just when it's never been harder to find a job.

an economist at the Urban Institute, estimates that up to 700,000 people could exhaust their extended benefits by the second half of this year.

"It's going to be a monstrous problem," Vroman said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
What do you guys think about this?

There's an endless supply of money for foreing nations to either bribe for treaties, support foreign nuclear programs or subsidize foreign military occupation, or bailout bad decisions and so on and so forth.

But when it comes to hungry people, it's time to make them live in a tent city and one day cops to come and cut up their tents.

Will there be a revolution? Oppression has become so strategic and sophisticated.

Will the next revolutionists be hungry homeless people?
Will the revolutionists be the easiest group of people to enslave?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Bring on the higher crime rate.

Also shows how bad the market really is. Personally I dont believe the government should be supporting people who have lost their jobs. I didnt go get unemployment benefits and I have been without a job for 6 months now.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Excuse me, its not the government doing it. There is no government. Its an extension of the civilian organization and unless the tax dollar funded by civilians boomerang back into superlative social programs that ensure everyone lives equally, above the poverty line, you're living in a dog eat dog mob rule, or hijacked by the elite.

Those who caused this recession should be paying for it and return their ill gotten funds.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Let me change my statement:
I believe there shouldn't be unemployment benefits.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
As long as the government continues to take the amount of our $$ that they now take - there damn well needs to be unemployment benefits!! Damn it all to hell! We pay into 'the system' our entire working lives & IMHO that is our damn money anyway!!

Sorry, but they are raising our taxes in every way they can & we will not see the majority of it do a damn thing for us - the USA - The People! Hell, give me back all the taxes I have paid in my life to the gov & I will have been able to do something different than living my life paycheck to paycheck! I would have been able to invest or save for my later years!! Hell, my elderly parents had to live pay to pay and then got screwed out of their retirement anyway..........

To OP, people who have barely had a grip on things will start losing it more and more, I am afraid. Kinda like backing an animal into a corner, all some want to do is hurt others the way they hurt and with times like we have now (and the rougher times ahead) they snap. But you will NEVER hear me say we need to make guns unavailable to 'The People' because of this.

If the gov would start taking care of business in the US, many with a loose grip on sanity would not be able to fall thru the system. The answer is NOT to take our weapons..........anyway, guns are readily available on the streets for the right price to anyone.

I believe the real Patriots will be a force the gov will have to reckon with. Whereas the insane mobs, that may come, will be easy pray. Unorganized mobs will never save our country from what, I believe, is coming. But they may keep the gov busy while they rest of us are getting together and planning a revolution for the right reasons.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's likely that there will be another extension to unemployment benefits.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Perhaps you should live in Kenya then

It is absolutely the govt.'s responsibility to subsidize life

the govt. is so corrupt, politicians think it's safe haven for corruption.
And then there's people like you

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

It's likely that there will be another extension to unemployment benefits.

So... another ``stimulus package`` filled with pork and probably more money for the banks... that will make my day...

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by mystiq

Do you still live with your parents?
......................................................................................................
As far as revolution is concerned, people won't get up unless they have to, when all their comforts are gone, when all is lost, their home, TV, computer, they will get up out of their Lazy boy chairs, or get from out of their tent.

When there is nothing left to lose, then their will be revolt.

People gotta snap.

I was wondering what would happen when the majority of unemployment check beneficiaries, stopped getting benefits.
It's going to be very interesting!

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Toadmund]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I predict even higher crime. At the rate of job losses you will be seeing soup lines again. But heh everything is good, our leader of change will make your car payment and guarantee your warranty!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What do you guys think about this?

I think they're right - and it ain't gonna be pretty !

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
good thread

i would think that would be a rather conservative estimate

since the jobless number started really pilling up (if i remember correctly) SINCE October......( at least 600,000 a month or so) there will be a good % of these people losing their unemployment very soon (unlelss benefits are extended beyond the usual 6 months)....and this number will keep adding up quickly as the months tick by....i would think starting this month....we could add 200,000 or so (33% of those who lost their jobs 6 months ago) ) and this should be WELL over a million (maybe two) by year end (that will be taken out of the work force and not finding new jobs) and be forced to either move in with parents, friends, or go homeless, or tent cities, etc..

b/c i think that assuming 66% of those who became unemployed 6 months ago.....found a job b4 their unemployment ran out to be overly optomistic guess by me....DOES anyone have this number...

also this will cause unemployment numbers going forward this year to be EVEN MORE ARTIFICIALLY LOW because a large amount of still unemployed people (who would like a job) will be calculated as being Out of the work force (more than 6 months w/0 a job) ....when the gov does the unemployment numbers reported by the MSM......

You can find a number MUCH CLOSER to the truth by looking at the U-6 definition of unemployment at the gov website....right now it is about 15 %

You wanna know why they changed the defintions of the "officially preferred measure for the unemployment rate" ............starting in the Reagan administration.......B/C that was the same time OFFSHORING of jobs was occuring and crippling american workers......the Big Corporation's would have been under IMMENSE pressure from citizens (who would have put 2 and 2 together)......so they simply changed the F*&IKING definiton and the sheeple didn't even realize this (you think the MSM was gonna uncover the deception LOFL)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
People started falling off the unemployment rolls a long time ago. Some didn't even qualify in the first place because they hadn't been working long enough from the last time they were laid off.

We aren't suppose to think about this. We're to be like sheep and just believe all the b.s. on how the economy is getting better. Like homeless people we are suppose to believe they don't exist or that they choose to live like they do.

Just like we are told those of us that are still working that we are just lucky we still have jobs...no you won't get raises this year. But don't think about how we are going to make sure we are making money. Don't think about all the untility companies, insurance companies and everyone else raising the prices and rates on you.

I would also guess if someone doesn't believe in unemployment benefits for people that actually work and by no action of their own are now laid off that they would also not believe in welfare, child support or food stamps. Lord knows we sure wouldn't want to help those that might need help. Especially the ones that haven't made a career out of taking government asistance.

Don't worry we'll probably end up in a big war so they can create more jobs that your draft number will help you get so you can be employed again. Don't worry your government will take care of you (that should really scare you).

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
good point ...many have already been coming off the workforce (while still unemployed but not "counted" ) a good way to show this is the WIDENING gap between the "offically preffered measure of unemployment" (U-2) vs. the more accurate (U-6)

violence will increase fo sho.........employment benefits will likely be extended more freely....life is tuff for many.......for those that still make ends meet (or even see an increase in their standard of living) don't take it for granted......enjoy the good life while you can......to those that spend Too much time here......get out....enjoy america (while/if) you still can

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Not only does it persist, but they only quote the U3 number in public.

Behind closed doors the real U6 number is sometimes discussed.

They do have it on their website though.

U6 unemployment "seasonally unadjusted" hits over 16%

BLS is bureau of labor statistics.

These lying sacks of dung are fiddling while Rome burns, some of them
helped instigate this massive ponzi scheme with the derivatives
which have exceeded 500 Trillion dollars and are the real method
of robbing the entire country blind.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

what happens in the US when the unemployment runs out?

is there a welfare system?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

As I showed per the BLS itself the real U6 number has surpassed 16%.

It is starting to snowball on them.

What I mean by snowball is that the more that lose jobs, the less they
spend and the less ppl that shop the less money there is going into
the economy.

This is a feedback loop that leads to one place, 1923 Germany
which was worse than 1929 US.

You cannot create a future by printing more debt via more fiat currency.

Furthermore these huge amounts of money are being given to
groups that the Federal Reserve will not even disclose to the public
even though the debt is going on the ledger of the American ppl !

In any bankruptcy court this would be fraud !

Prepare now for what Gerald Celente has been shouting from the roof tops.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech
reply to post by cpdaman

As I showed per the BLS itself the real U6 number has surpassed 16%.

It is starting to snowball on them.

What I mean by snowball is that the more that lose jobs, the less they
spend and the less ppl that shop the less money there is going into
the economy.

This is a feedback loop that leads to one place, 1923 Germany
which was worse than 1929 US.

You cannot create a future by printing more debt via more fiat currency.

Furthermore these huge amounts of money are being given to
groups that the Federal Reserve will not even disclose to the public
even though the debt is going on the ledger of the American ppl !

In any bankruptcy court this would be fraud !

Prepare now for what Gerald Celente has been shouting from the roof tops.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

i agree with most of what you said......but the U.S.A does hold the trump card that they have the world reserve currency......Europe doesn't hold crap

so USA can print bailout's and hand them off to the connected crooks (and these bailout's can sustain a decent purchasing power...while other country's can't do this)...granted these funds won't get into the REAL economy .....but this does help the Gov't and their industry insiders give one hell of a bailout and fiscal stimulus....as the real economy and employment Crashes.....at least ....until the bond market and foreign gov't decide to abandon the export driven economic world order due to anemic U.S consumption demand......and then the gov't may actually cut off the finacial oligarchs and do the right thing

again offshoring of jobs was the reason the calculation was changed during the reagan and bush /then clinton administration to hide the damage to the employment situ in USA....."that could be a chapter should someone ever write a book titled ........When gov't politicizing of numbers F&*KS the people

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

"i agree with most of what you said......but the U.S.A does hold the trump card that they have the world reserve currency......Europe doesn't hold crap"

Well China, Russia, and a host of others are planning on switching the
World Reserve currency away from the dollar.

When Geithner said he was open to the idea, the dollar dropped more
in one week period than it had in the past 24 years.

Massive Dollar Drop

Russia, China, and other nations to remove dollar as world reserve currency

Geithner comments cause dollar to tank

So, your scenario has already been shot down.

China also cashed in all their long term US T-bills for short termers.

I think you know what that means too.

I wish you were right, but the plans for financial Armageddon are
already in play and what we knew as the USA is about to go away.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join