It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about police and searching of computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Okay, this is only my 2nd thread so if ive done something wrong please move it or delete it. Thanks.
Before asking my question I have to give you a little background info.
Now my little sis have been getting in trouble lately w/ drugs, stealing ect.. She is 16 and thinks she knows it all. She usually comes down to my house a few days a week for guidance, because our mom has no time for her, and to use the computer, which is in my living room so I can monitor what she is doing. Now the other day she was on her myspace page in her pics section and I noticed there were alot of pics of her using drugs,really bad drugs. When I saw it I flipped out and called my mom to let her know and to tell her she needs to step up and be a mom to her. She completly blew it off. Now a few days later my little sis was arrested and when my mom went to pick her up she mentioned to them about the pics of my sis that I told her of prior. The police told her that they now have the right to search anyones computer when they want and they may want to search mine because my sis uses it. I told her I dont give a s@!## about their rights to search my computer, whatever happen to my rights,and they will have to take it by force because I'm not going to just give it to them. I mean I dont have anything to hide but it just dosent sound right to me.She went back and told them what I said but as of today no one has come asking to search my computer. Now here is my question, do they actually have the right to search anyones computer whenever they want? Have I been living in a hole or something? I really dont want to look like a idiot if they do come to get my computer. So please fellow ATSers, enlighten me, am I wrong?Thanks for taking the time to read this.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by freeyourmind1111

Can someone remove this,, I posted it twice by accident. Sorry!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Legally they have to have a warrant which has to be issued by a Judge who would feel that they have a reason to search your computer.

Your mom could also be spewing BS. Id ignore her rants. And not allow your sister to use your computer anymore.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't know if they can search your computer anytime they like. But I work like they do and have a seperate system for personal stuff, where ONLY I have access. This system is encrypted and not a living soul can access the data without the (long) key, wich is in my head, nowhere else.

I advice anyone who is concerned that his or her, data might fall in to the wrong hands, to set up a cheap system, running on one of the many flavors of linux. I personally use Debian. Most recent versions offer strong encryption, free of charge.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by 2Faced]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks, I dont plan on letting her use the computer anymore. You may be right about my mom,she always so full of drama, but she was dead serious when she was telling me. Take care and thanks for responding!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Please add further comments to the original thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you.

-thread closed-

join