It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrinking airlines park more planes in the desert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Shrinking airlines park more planes in the desert

www.washingtonexaminer.com

At Southern California Aviation's parking and maintenance facility in Victorville, Calif., the influx of planes surprised President Jeff A. Lynn. As recently as August he had about 60 airplanes. Now it's 200, and he expects as many as 240 by the summer. That includes some of the 737s being retired by United.

"I'm just swamped out here," he said.

He estimates that as many as 90 percent of those planes will go back into service again. The planes are on a regular schedule to be towed so they don't rest on the same spot on their tires, and the planes' electrical systems are started and run every couple of weeks.

"We don't really look at a boneyard or a graveyard as our business," he said. "Our business is get airplanes in, treat them well, keep 'em nice, keep 'em maintained," he said.

But so far this year only about 10 planes have gone back into service. The airplane finance market is locked up. With aircraft values falling, lenders are sitting on the sidelines. On Thursday, Boeing Co. reported just six new orders for February _ down from 99 during the same month in 2008.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Boeing projected sales have plummeted.
Ince August, the planes sent off to be stored at one site has almost quadrupled.

Usually, with this many planes out of service, many would be scrapped for metal recycling.

The problem is,
The recycling market has also plummeted and there are no buyers for the metals.

Planes sitting on a tarmac, (Lockeed L1011's), are not being stripped due to no buyers of the scrap.

This is projected to get even worse later this year.

www.washingtonexaminer.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

So here another sign that we are at the end of an era. What so many of us took for granted...I have flown across the U.S. many times...in the last decade...West to East, East to West...South and North...taking it all for granted, visiting relatives, vacationing, and business.

But now, no way!
Every other year, my family takes turns at the holidays, Christmas gatherings. This year, I am thinking we will not be with our loved ones across the U.S. as we are all concerned about spending the money to buy the tickets. Sad...but it is our reality. I am not 100% sure, but considering all of the factors...including the change in travel after 9/11, the price of fuel, etc...I am of the opinion that this is a trend that will not reverse.

new topics

join