It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO agrees to Afghan troop increase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

NATO agrees to Afghan troop increase

www.thestar.com

STRASBOURG, France—NATO allies agreed to send an extra 3,000 soldiers to Afghanistan to help stabilize the country through presidential elections scheduled for this summer.

At the end of an annual summit, the alliance’s 28 leaders gave their approval to a new U.S. strategy for the eight-year mission that involves more troops on the ground accompanied by civilian experts.

Leaders also agreed to provide more money to help boost the Afghan police and army numbers and capability.

"When it comes to Afghanistan, the bottom line is this," said outgoing secretary general Jaap de Hoop Scheffer. "This alliance has delivered."

The more contentious issue of long-term troop commitments, however, was unresolved.

U.S. President Barack Obama says it is essential that Europe step up with more troops to match the extra 21,000 soldiers he is sending into theatre this summer.

Scheffer will be replaced in August as NATO chief by Danish Prime Minister Anders Rasmussen, overcoming the protests of Turkey, which had threatened to hold up the concensus decision out of lingering anger at a Danish cartoon offensive to Muslims that was published in 2006.

"It had to be a conclusive summit," French President Nicolas Sarkozy said. "The time of international summits where we talk and do nothing is over."

The alliance also agreed to build a stronger relationship with Russia, with Scheffer saying "the relationship can deliver more than it has until now."

Leaders also used their closing news conferences to stress their disapproval of a controversial proposed Afghan law that would infringe on the rights of Shi’ite women.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he demanded assurances the rights of afghan women would be protected.

"He gave me those assurances," Brown said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So what are we going to accomplish in afganistan now? We pushed the Taliban out one time already, and they have come back. The massive poppy crops are still there, and will still be there when this mission is done too.

So what are we there for? Whats the end goal?

We all know the Taliban will run away and hide untill they are strong enough to return and this will happen all over again. The opium crops will never be destroyed, or they would have been already.

Unless Nato gets permission to pursue and destroy these militants anywhere they may run too, this whole mission is a waste of time and waste of Nato lives sure to be lost.

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-4-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

The massive poppy crops are still there, and will still be there when this mission is done too.

The opium crops will never be destroyed, or they would have been already.

Great post!

I have read it and find no mention of the opium or poppy fields?
Is the US and NATO now drug police? I thought they are there to fight the Taliban who are now hiding in Pakistan?

I read something about Turkey being upset over the Danish and a cartoon that insulted Muslims, but nothing about drugs?

Also I could not find any mention about attacking Iran nor Pakistan. Must be more false war mongering propaganda.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
More troops, more BS... NATO, the warmongerer... at least the SCO is not invading a country for an oil pipeline.

Go to hell NATO leaders. And if you go into Pakistan or Iran, go to hell even more.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Great post I have read it and find no mention of the opium or poppy fields?
Is the US and NATO now drug police? I though they are there to fight the Taliban who are now hiding in Pakistan?

I know fighting drugs isn't Nato's mission, but just think of the irony of soldiers from nations that spend millions fighting heroin standing there looking at 70% or more of the worlds supply and doing nothing about it.

new topics

top topics

join