It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 officers shot in Pittsburgh

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I hear ya. I guess I just wish he would have used his brain instead you know? It's just as frustrating for me as it is for you to deal with an issue like this. It's always a tragedy..But tragedies lead to kneejerk legislation...Like the Patriot Act.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
"and security guards harassin black Americans on a constant basis"

Please enlighten all of us as to how this in any way relates to the current economic crysis. Also, please explain why you fealt the need to specifically place a specific race into that line. I'm "white" and have been harassed by a security guard or two as well.

Links to information of race specific harrassment attempts carried out by security guards would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the off topic derailment of sorts.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by M0n0lyth]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

Hi skyeyes, first off, thank you for what you do. I have several friends that are peace officers in various departments in our county. I work in the medical field, and get to see them quite often for one reason or another. I know (second hand) what you guys have to put up with, and that good cops dislike the bad ones as much as anyone. While I agree with most of what you said, I have to disagree on the robbery/home-invasion issue. In todays social landscape, and especially in my neck of the woods, home-invasions are becoming more prevalent, and many perps kill their victims even if their property/money is handed over freely. Compliance with a scumbag does not necessarily confer safety anymore, and is increasingly becoming more likely that you WILL be harmed in a break in even if compliant. I prefer non-compliance with dirtbags with a 9mm period. I won't take the chance with my children's lives that this coke/meth head, or (insert derogatory term of choice here) that has raided my home will have a concience or not. If you break into my home with my family present, you just ended your career. Unfortunately, their are unstable, or malicious people out there that will take advantage of the rights that are in place to protect law abiding people. I believe the answer is to make committing a crime against society with a firearm more harshly punished. Not make it more difficult for law abiding, and peace loving people to protect themselves in most situations. A well armed society is a polite society, and would make you guy's job easier if the dirtbags had to think twice about attacking the average citizen. If a mugger knew he ran a 1in3 chance of ending up dead if he mugged someone, I don't think he would like those odds. He'd much rather go to a school, hospital, or a college/university where our politicians have assured him that no one will be armed. My law enforcement friends are even complaining that they are being harassed for carrying off-duty. That's crazy. You guys are a target for the bad guys 24/7, and should be allowed to carry at all times. What if you ran into bubba that you put away for 20 years at the local college picking up your kids? Guns aren't the problem, the problem is educating people that freedom isn't the right to do as you wish, but the ability to behave as you should. Freedom=Responsibility. No politicians target baseball bats, hammers, knives, or lead pipes as "assault weapons", if you've been attacked with one however you would hold a different view. Agreed that shooting it out with a crazy with an AK-47 is not anyone's idea of a good situation, but to take AK-47s out of the hands of people who own one, and never commit a wrongful act with it flies in the face of justice, and fairness. I think I should be able to meet force with force if the crazy with the AK-47 comes knocking on my door. You guys are spread thin, and not appreciated for it, but as the cliche goes "when seconds count, cops are only minutes away." Sincerely, thank you for what you do.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
When a person steals small amounts, they're called pirates.
When a person steals nations, they're called emperors.

When a person kills a few cops or politicians, that's murder.
When a million people kill a million cops & politicians, that's a revolution.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

But you can still make a revolution without killing anyone.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Philly Mafia anyone?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need tighter regulation on firearms. We never see events like these occurring in Japan. I, for one, am sick and tired of the same old rhetoric proclaiming our "founding fathers blah blah blah," and our "right to bare arms"... these people could never, in their wildest dreams, imagine our current culture and time period. Stop treating them like demigods... they're attitudes on slavery should concisely prove their flawed ideology.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The latest news has it that the shooter was big into conspiracy theories and was worried about the NWO and the governnment taking his guns. He had a blogsite and posted on other conspiracy sites.
Apparently, he talked himself into going out with a bang and all he'll manage is a whimper.
The police are to be commended for taking him alive, an unfortunate circumstance of having highly trained professional police officers. They all need raises.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blagojevich

Give up your own rights, if you wish. Don't even start to pretend you can give up the rights of others. Don't be part of the problem.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Great breaking news! I haven't heard this anywhere else, yet

"Great" breaking news? Kaytagg, I live within a mile of the shootout and I can assure you its anything but great. Those officers had families and children and now they are gone. The kid who went crazy did so because he thought the government was stepping on his rights to own guns.. well, if he had 1/2 a brain he'd realize that his little rebellion isn't going to help our gun rights but quite the opposite.. this is a tragedy on multiple fronts and i pray for the families of the victims.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blagojevich
...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need tighter regulation on firearms. We never see events like these occurring in Japan. I, for one, am sick and tired of the same old rhetoric proclaiming our "founding fathers blah blah blah," and our "right to bare arms"... these people could never, in their wildest dreams, imagine our current culture and time period. Stop treating them like demigods... they're attitudes on slavery should concisely prove their flawed ideology.

Thanks for making my point. It has nothing to do with gun control and everything to do with someone just being flat out nuts. I have guns, but I'd never do anything like that.. And keep in mind, most crimes are comitted with ILLEGAL guns.. this guy was a nutjob, plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blagojevich

So you believe that my 2nd amendment right should be taken away?

Well I believe your 1st amendment right should be taken away.

When you give yours up we'll talk about mine

Sorry to be off topic, just can't stand people advocating the removal of peoples rights.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I wonder if this is type of thing is happening more often or if its just being reported more often?

I wonder how long it will take before the call is made for a gun ban.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I did not read the entire thread to see what was all posted...I read enough to know that a few ATS members smiled at this news, or without any hesitation justified it. I just shake my head...

The main thing here is ****I NOTICED MANY OF THE ATS/CONSPIRACY FOLKS WERE OFFENDED, MAD,ETC AT BEING LUMPED IN WITH THIS NUTJOB AND DIDN'T LIKE THE CONNECTION MADE BY THE MEDIA****

All I have to say to that is HOW DO YOU LIKE? Many of you know I am a Law Enforcement Officer and I ALWAYS get lumped into one with the threads started on here when an officer does something wrong. Many of you are ALWAYS ready to hate ALL pigs, hate ALL nazi's, hate ALL cops, claim we are ALL murders, we are ALL corrupt, we are ALL "bad" for society.......when it's just NOT true....but now that you guys are lumped in the same way and looked at in the same way...OH NO...NO NO NO...hang on...now there is an issue.

Even though I have been criticized, my profession bashed, and my integrity questioned, my job ability doubted and my intentions assumed, I HAVE NEVER LUMPED ALL ATS MEMBERS INTO ONE GROUP, AND WILL NEVER! I have seen and discovered some great minded people on this site. I have debated and argued with many members. Have I seen some members post on here that I feel are outright worthless human beings, YES, have I read and seen members on here that are worthless contributors and spew nothing but hate, lies, and zero facts because they have NO idea what their talking about, QUITE OFTEN, BUT I have also seen some great posts, posts that made great points, and even if I didn't agree the members made their case without stupidy.

To all the members who I know post with good intentions, understanding, and make their points with great debate I apologize that the conspiracy community was questioned/blamed for this....to my three fellow fallen brothers and their families...I bow my head and say a prayer...I hope the families are taken care of and they can move on. As for the scumbag.....the devil just made a place for you...ENJOY IT!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Your post just outlines what the difference is between the police, and the citizens. Yes, people do lump all police together, I'll clue you in to why.

There are corrupt police. That's a known. The other known is that every officer in every force knows who the bad officers are. You know who the bad officers are on your force. They'll be the ones bragging about giving someone a hard time at a traffic stop, the 'tip' (bribe) they received, the ones that talk about jacking/tuning people up. So, tell me, how many of those bad cops that you know have committed illegal acts have you turned in, or arrested? Can I count them on two hands? One? Or do I need count at all since I'm willing to put good money down that they number is zero?

Most citizens would have alerted the police about what this guy was going to do if they'd have known. Most police won't turn in another police officer if they know they plan or have committed a crime.

That's the difference there, june bug.

If they were bad cops, their death is no loss, to put it bluntly. If they were good cops then their death is a loss. My reaction was simply, "that's not good".

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I couldn't agree more.

Part of the hysteria is that when someone says "He liked conspiracy theorist web sites", many people take that as some sort of attack on conspiracy theorists, simply because it was stated. Being defensive and thin skinned is very unbecoming of a skeptic, and in this case has led many to defend someone who I'm sure they don't identify with at all.

Most of the people on this site who are defending his stance and beliefs would probably be shocked to hear what was reported at rawstory.com

First, the story says something which probably does apply to many of the ATS community...

Some of Poplawski's beliefs are fairly commonplace among conservatives. For example, fears that the Obama administration intends to ban gun ownership have recently become a staple on such relatively mainstream outlets as Glenn Beck's program on Fox News.

That's a common belief on ATS. In and of itself, this doesn't seem to be a reason to be into violent revolution. However, once you read further, you do start to see a much darker pattern. One which takes this from the suspicion of conspiracy theorists to the hate of white supremacists:

However, the worldview which enabled Poplawski to bring those various complaints together into a single, global conspiracy theory appears to have come from far more extreme sources. Poplawski had also posted pictures of himself at Stormfront, a white supremacist website whose slogan is "white pride worldwide."

The discussion of the shootings at Stormfront, which began with speculations that the gunman would turn out to be "some non-white" or "a jew," then turned to suspicions that the recent rash of shootings is a "setup" to push through gun control legislation, has become oddly muted since the revelation that Poplawski appears to be one of theirs.

Now, are you folks who are defending this guy sure you defend all of this? Because I for one believe that simply being a conspiracy theorist doesn't make you a threat... questionable perhaps... but not criminal.

But mixed with his participation in white supremacist web sites, the profile of this young man becomes much more grim.

Thanks rcwj75, for your perspective on this, and many other items on this board.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Two words for some sort of gun control.....John Lennon

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Lol no, no Cartels just a maniac breaking down due to the shifty economy. 2 officers # In head and another wounded I think

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
A very good reason not to be a cop.

or the president

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join