It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul punked by in new Movie, calls Cohen 'Queer'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Presidential candidates will do almost anything for publicity. But Ron Paul's appearance in Sacha Baron Cohen's upcoming Bruno movie suggests he draws the line at making sex tapes with gay Austrian TV hosts.

In a five-minute scene, comedian Cohen tries—and fails—to seduce the Texas congressman and former Republican presidential candidate in a Washington hotel room. A spokeswoman for Paul confirmed the appearance but declined to discuss details

As Paul is walking away, you can hear him say, several times, something like, "This guy is a queer!" "The word queer comes out of his mouth three or four times," says an attendee.

www.slate.com...

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet. Looking around the web I see a few people jumping on the opportunity to denounce Ron Paul as a homophobe, also pointing to his "We the People Act" as further evidence, as it states:

(7) Supreme Court and lower Federal court decisions striking down local laws on subjects such as religious liberty, sexual orientation, family relations, education, and abortion have wrested from State and local governments issues reserved to the States and the People by the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.4379.IH:
thomas.loc.gov...:H.R.4379.IH:

EDIT... ATS Links broken as ever for url with : in it, use this to get to it /ronpaulwethepeople or just search google for the act.

This would allow states to discriminate against homosexuals without interference from the Federal government.

What do you think? Is Ron Paul homophobic?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Was what Cohen was doing not queer? How does what Ron said make him homophobic? Doesn't affect me either way because I would vote for him again, but labeling him as a homophobe is a stretch.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Hey, guess what..... I still use the terms queer, shirtlifter etc too.
Homophobic? Does that mean I am afraid of homosexuals? It's a phobia?

Remember the tv show "Queer eye for the straight guy"? Was that acceptable? Of course it was as it was queer guys using the word for airplay, but it's not apparently acceptable for a Heterosexual male to use the word descriptively?

I hate all this political correctness BS.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Oh man did you see the anchor woman's face in the last 10 seconds, shes trying so hard to keep in her laughter.

Good catch by the way. Poor Ron Paul... being harassed by Cohen for his movie

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

"What do you think? Is Ron Paul homophobic?"

No, Ron Paul is old school, and was more than likely exasperated and annoyed by Bruno trying to seduce him. A human reaction. Ron Paul is not gay, and he probably hasn't taken ever been hit on like that. It would make anyone uncomfortable.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Remember the tv show "Queer eye for the straight guy"? Was that acceptable? Of course it was as it was queer guys using the word for airplay, but it's not apparently acceptable for a Heterosexual male to use the word descriptively?

Using a term like queer will depend very much on the context, with a good friend in a joking manner, or among homosexuals it should be fine, but delivered in a strong tone, in a confrontational manner it could be very offensive. Similar to the 'N word'.

We'll have to wait and see the footage I guess to make the final decision on if Paul was using this in an offensive manner. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will decide it's offensive regardless, it could be a small PR problem for Paul if he doesn't appear to take the prank with humor.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Prank?

So everyone everywhere should enjoy being made the ass of a joke? That's interesting. So, Dr. Paul, a serious man of principle, married 50-some years, get hit on obscenely by a "prankster" wanting sex from him and RP is supposed to just laugh it off? He is not allowed to be angry?

We will have to see the video, but if Bruno touched him or did some other crazy stuff, Dr. Paul is justified in his anger, and cleared of being labeled a homophobe for certain.

Human beings get angry when insulted.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
No, Ron Paul is not homophobic. Whoever posted the "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" example is on target. Why is that correct and Ron Pauls' usage of the word not?

If anyone is wrong in this it is Cohen. Obviously, Cohen knew ahead of time that Ron Paul was not homosexual. Therefore, any homosexual sexual advance woul be unwanted and known. Isn't that sexual harassment? Aren't unwanted sexual avances harassment? Even before Cohen spoke to Ron Paul he knew his advances were unwanted. In my mind this was premeditated sexual harassment.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GTORick

Look at the prior examples with Cohen, the vast majority of people find his antics funny, and the people in his videos who get angry with him for it just get seen as out of touch and bad sports. It could end up very damaging for Paul in the general population who don't really care for him anyway. If it looks even vaguely homophobic in the film, he is going to get jumped and destroyed by the mainstream for this, regardless if Cohen is being an ass. This will be even worse than the 'ron paul survival report' racism row, as that was mostly confined to politics geeks, whereas this movie is going to be mainstream.

Many people also won't understand Paul's 'states rights' position either, and when shown things like the "we the people act", will take that as further evidence.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Why does it matter who's queer and who's homophobic? If it's a good person who has the "right stuff" to lead the country?

I don't know why, but I want to say... *snip*
peace

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
All i can say is that "Bruno"....the new SBC movie...is gonna be more out-there and close-to-the-bone than Borat.

I've seen the trailer in the cinema and it looks hilarious

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This sounds hilarious. SBC's pranks often border on personally offensive and unfairly cruel, but there's a strong current of "confront your cognitive dissonance" that makes his material top-notch.

It's a little unfair to RP to have his public-figure status abused for such hijinx, but hey, neither politics or comedy is required to be 'fair'.

Doesn't sound very homophobic of RP. There's nothing homophobic about a straight guy being squicked by being hit on like that - especially if it's by an over-the-top character like SBC's German fashion designer or something.

And it's quite natural to be very annoyed at someone who is portraying themselves as a legitimate reported using the opportunity of an interview to make unwelcome sexual advances, regardless of gender. Especially if they act obliviously undeterred, as I'm sure SBC did, and am looking forward to seeing.

to both of them.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

You should check out a trailer mate...seriously
It's bad

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
SBC returns again!

Tbh what he did to Gingrich was far worse!

I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing as Dr Paul in the circumstances... apparently Bruno made overt advances towards him while removing his pants. We'll have to see the context of the joke to understand whether it's funny or not... but for now, all I can say is- lets treat it all like the comedy that it is.

Dr Paul calling Bruno "queer" is factual. Who knows, perhaps he was even in on the joke!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well, I found a trailer, here:

www.thesun.co.uk...

It looks pretty funny, they only show a very short bit of Paul in the trailer, just him waving his arms and saying "This is ended"

EDIT to add, there were a couple of mild swear words and a topless woman in the video, so don't watch if that will offend you.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here is a trailer.... Discretion is advised.
The bit with the baby... OMG!!!! This is gonna be mad.

** Viewer discretion**

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
A congressman from texas calls someone queer and your shocked?

Texas is the least accepting state of homosexuals. How exactly does this affect Ron Paul's political stance?

I could care less. The man is one of the only few that actually doesnt lie through his teeth. Why do I care if he called someone a queer? Why does anyone care?

This will be dragged out most likely by the gay community- even though sasha baron cohen is married with children and played a gay guy. I'd be more upset at someone pretending to be gay then someone who takes offense to being hit on. Its not like he unleashed a list of gay hate on him.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I find it highly appropriate that the title of Maddow's segment is Ms. Information, which is of course a play on Misinformation.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Every straight man has a right to protect himself from butt pirates. Cohen is a loon. If he tried hitting on me he would get more than offensive language hurled at him.
There! was that insensitive enough? You hypocrite! Cohen makes a living shocking and offending other people and you have the nerve to accuse Paul?
You are a funny MFer.

Ron Paul - the guy who has said for years

We don’t get our rights because we’re gays or women or minorities. We get our rights from our creator as individuals. So every individual should be treated the same way.

The guy who has voted for individual liberty and equality consistently for 20 years.

The word Queer is used so much in our culture I really don't understand where people get off treating it like its such and evil thing. "Queer as Folk", Queer eye for the Straight Guy", "We're here. We're queer. Get used to it." , I mean really, what word is acceptable if it isn't the word used by that community to describe itself?!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
This is all ignoring the fact that queer, first and foremost means strange odd or weird.
External Link: Dictionary.com

Only later did it ever come to be disparaging towards homosexuals so you know what? I'm taking it back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join