It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think Crime is High Now? Just Wait.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
We have all seen the news of shootings around the country. The truth is crime is on the rise and it's not going to stop. During economic hardship people resort to crime to get by. A rise in crime is a normal occurrence for the times we live in.

U.S. recession fuels crime rise, police chiefs say

Of 233 police agencies surveyed by the Police Executive Research Forum, a Washington-based law enforcement organization, 44 percent reported a rise in certain types of crime they attributed to the United States' worst economic and financial crisis in decades.

The Psychology of losing your job is deep and hard to understand unless you have been in an instance where you can no longer provide for yourself.

The trauma of losing your job

A job loss can, in a minute or two, make a person stop feeling like a breadwinner and start feeling like a burden. Job loss tends to be especially difficult for a person who is the primary, or sole, earner for a family. When not dealt with positively, job loss can cause feelings of isolation, fear, anger, loss of status, worthlessness, and depression. You may feel ashamed to tell your family and friends that you've lost your job. You might feel as though you're no longer a respected member of the community.

The above text talks of the best instance of dealing with those feelings. When a person is unable to deal with the loss of their income things can get nasty as the news has shown us all. In January there was a prime example of the extremes people will go to when they can not provide for themselves.

Man loses job, kills family then himself

Police say they believe the father, Ervin Lupoe, was distraught over ongoing job problems and killed his wife Ana and their five children before shooting himself.

With the number of unemployed reaching in excess of Five and a Half Million People, just think how this is hurting the criminal element of our society. Not only are normal people spending less and less on the extras of life, they are not spending on the illegals of life either (drugs and other illegal materials).
Check out this search on google.com for an example: increase in robberies

Now let us add the hardships on our prisons. Many of the ex-felons released from prisons because of the economy will feel the strains in their wallets and might want to return to a life of crime to get by.
Recession to Unlock Wave of Ex-Cons
Recession hurting job possibilities for Ex-felons

Unless our economy makes a miraculous turn around within the year we are going to see more and more crime in our country and a stream of legal measures to stop it.

To sum everything up for you: Survival before Law.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Star and flag to that.

I seem to agree with you a lot... even if I don't always say so.

Add to the unemployed American crime, to that of Mexican citizens who come here in search of treasures, and end up disappointed... But not disappointed enough to go home.

The crime in the news lately has been....interesting, I think.

Just waiting to see what happens. Fear nothing.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Let me grab some information for you on immigrants being hurt by the recession.

Study: Immigrants hurt hard by recession

The current recession is having an especially severe impact on job prospects for Hispanic immigrants, according to a new study.

That study didnt say if they were illegal or not.

As Recession Deepens, Illegal Immigration From Mexico Declines

Napolitano said Friday that the department has seen a "pretty significant decrease" in illegal immigrants crossing over from Mexico because the number of available jobs in the United States has decreased.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Add to that the new waves of gun control that will come in the next few years. After all the safest place for criminals will be all of the gun free zones

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Thanks for that. We are all in this together... Like it or not.

While I already suspected what your post is pointing to, I would like to see it get some attention and discussion going.

Should people be doing anything extra to keep themselves and their families safe from the increase in crime ahead? Is it necessary? Or do Americans tend to assume that all this crime on the TV cannot ever reach them, personally, like it seems?? lol

Lots of things that can come to thought in this thread.

Thanks...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

Should people be doing anything extra to keep themselves and their families safe from the increase in crime ahead? Is it necessary? Or do Americans tend to assume that all this crime on the TV cannot ever reach them, personally, like it seems??

Looks like people are already getting ready: Gun Sales Thriving Despite Tough Economy. Although they might not realize just yet why they are doing so. Personally, I think that sheeple are subconsciously getting ready before the crime reaches them.

Your welcome LostNemesis! I felt the need to make this thread when I noticed a lack of this subject on the boards.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
S+F

Seems like during the years of prosperity random crime had gone down.

Hang in there!!!!!!

Giving in to the frustration only destroys the concept that we are humans not animals.

It's gonna get a lot worse, and the humans will prevail. If you're an animal, you will not. I know part of me is an animal, but part of me is not, and I'm clinging to the part of me is not by my chewed up fingernails...

Survive... survive to see what happens next. It could be interesting...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here's a good statistics site for better information than the government give us.

3rd one down is unemployment.

Shadow Statistics

Edit: Can't spell.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Wait to be raped and murdered in the streets, eh? I mean, that is not what you are saying, it is what I am saying. But this doom is not fresh, it is, kind of, but what timetable do your propose?

I don't want to wait for it anymore so I can leave weeks prior.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

The time table is now. The crime has been going up steadily since 2007.
As for being raped and murdered in the street, let's hope it never comes to that.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I am male. Therfore I am genetically programmed to say this stupidity that follows:

Tentickles: You're avatar is VERY distracting(not necesarily in a bad way), perhaps this is on purpose.

I know this has been alluded to before, but I thought I would add to it(because of the stupidity factor).

Apologies for the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled program...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I agree with you that crime will get worse. What I am not sure about is how much worse than it already is.

I know that crime statistics are WAY under reported and have been for years. There are a number of reasons for this:

-- it makes local governments look more effective. When they suggest that they have "cut crime" all they have done is change the way they report it or categorize it, or more blatantly tell police not to enforce certain laws. This was a reasonably large scandal in NYC under the Dinkins administration

-- they don't want to harm the economies of the local area. If real crime statistics were published, people and businesses would go somewhere else.

-- accurately publishing crime statistics would result in outrage by interests groups who would claim that minority groups are being unfairly represented in the press and that such reporting is racist

-- they are able to report to under represented crime statistics as reasons for continued support of their useless social programs that they claim (absent any supporting data)are factors in the reduction in crime - think midnight basketball

-- what we consider "crime" has been dumbed down. In many parts of the country, auto theft is not even considered a serious crime. My point being that what was considered a serious crime is now considered part of life.

I can go on. I'm from the industrial NE and have lived in LA, San Francisco and a few other parts of the country. Since the 70's there have been parts of major cities that the police will not go. There are entire sections of Trenton, Camden and Newark NJ that essentially have not been policed in 30 years. the police come when they are called. They perform no preventative crime protection. LA is the same, we just had a thread here the other day about Flint and Detroit. South St. Louis is another. There are probably 50 sections of major cities that are not really policed. By definition, crime in those areas is underreported.

Again - I completely agree with your post. Crime is going to rise, potentially significantly. What I think we need to be careful about is not looking to see through what the rationale might be for a manipulation of crime statistics. More funding for programs, greater powers given to the police and many others.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Good post Dolphinfan.
All points taken and true to a greater extent.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Crime is going to get much worse. These troubled times we live in now will be remembered as the "good" times.

Factor in the terrorist element which will make good it subversiveness by manipulating the situation. And we have a volatile problem.

Its going to be an ugly brawl.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think that it is pretty sad to think that Americans are so weak that they can't withstand a lost of a bunch of pre-landfill junk.

That we are so weak and so shallow that our lives and the lives of our children are forfeit because we are laid off of a job.

This is the story that the MSM is selling and I am just not buying it.

Will you have some people that have bought into the crap doing stupid things?

Yes but it is a safe bet that those people were walking the edge and would have done something stupid sooner or later even if times where great.

I think we are making a big mistake to allow the MSM to feed us the idea that this is expected and normal behavior for Americans when times get tough.

They have to make us believe this crap because if we stand up and take charge of our lives and our country without the interference of government they lose.

They are still afraid that enough of us are going to wake up and do something that will stop them dead in their tracks.

As long as they are afraid that means that we can save our country, but time is running out.

Chunk the junk of today for a free future.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm getting the people I care about to grow heirloom veggies.... Stuff like dwarf grey snow peas, tomatoes of several kinds, cucumbers, etc...

I just wish we could get rid of 'the system' and start to live self-sufficiently... But, with 'the system' having full control over our lives and emotions, people will continue to go apes**t. They think their life is over, if 'the system' stops employing and supplying to them.

Sure, I am disturbed by people losing jobs and killing their family that they can no longer afford to take care of. But at the same time, do we really want those genes to continue in the gene pool anyway? No offense.

Some people will be, and are, prepared to take care of themselves and their family. But something tells me that a large number of people will prey on those that stayed cool and were prepared.

If only we could get all of our communities to be willing to work together... self sufficient communities may be the future. If TPTB are kind enough to not wipe us out themselves.

www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

It is sad my friend society, has molded our world into needing a job to survive, where as the ancients grew their own food and were self sustaining, only facing hardship if a natural disaster or their neighbors decided they wanted their land.

I would love to live off the land but the government has that covered too. Have to pay taxes on your land.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

They OWN everything, even though it is we the people that build everything on the land from the ground up.... It really is sad. Guess that is all I have to say right now. They own the land to grow crops on. Nothing can change that... right? Can we claim 'squatters' rights'? lol

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If you want a crystal-clear depiction of what life in America would be like, post-economic collapse, you should watch the Hood2Hood documentaries. The films were shot in dozens of America's worst cities, which are already in a self-contained state of "Situation-X." I watched Part 2 last night, and one line that stood out was: "In the hood, you have to treat everybody like they have a gun and they'll kill you; because most people have guns, and they'll kill you."

Aside from painting a grim picture, it does offer up some good advice for urban survivalists, including: how to earn $100K by growing marijuana; how to know your environment and avoid hostile turf (aside from the obvious situations, if you cross the wrong street then you might get shot by a roof-top sniper, in some 'hoods); and how you should paint a water gun to carry with you if you're walking to a store (and don't want to risk getting charged with carrying a real firearm).

If, heaven-forbid, that is where we're heading, then the collapse will hit most of these "survivalists" like a ton of bricks.

I highly suggest these films to any "survivalist" (or anybody with an interest in Sociology) because they show what an Economic Situation-X is like within American culture, which I think will give you a better picture than looking at the situation in Argentina, for example.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
While we moan about how hard our lives are because we lost our jobs and can't make our mortgage payments someone is dying of dysentry.

While we murder our children because we lost our jobs and can't afford to keep them in the life they are used to someone is working for a dollar to feed themselves and their families for the day.

While we shoot up our former work places in rage at being laid off someone is walking five miles to get some water.

How dare we murder anyone because we might have to give up a way of life which has made us fat, lazy and stupid.

But yes, crime will go up. MSM will justify it with the economy. And most will happily give up even more rights in the quest to feel safe.

But they don't want to give up their IPODS under any circumstances.

Sad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join