It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give up anti-Americanism, Obama tells Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Give up anti-Americanism, Obama tells Europe

www.abc.net.au

US President Barack Obama has called for Europeans to be less anti-American during a town-hall-style meeting in France.

Mr Obama has been warmly greeted by crowds on his European visit, following his attendance at the G20 summit in London on Thursday.

During the town-hall meeting in Strasbourg, Mr Obama told the audience that America is changing, but Europe needs to change with it.

"There have been times where America has shown arrogance and has been dismissive, even derisive," he said.

"But in Europe, there has been an anti-Americanism that at once can be casual but also insidious."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The president is trying to improve the US image across Europe, but it's going to be hard, because of all the trouble the former administration has brought.
I think that this will take some time, but if the US changes it's foreign policies a bit, it might become reality.
As a canadian, i'm trying to stay as objective as i can writting these lines. I don't have the insights an american citizen would have on this matter, but i try to stay informed as much as i can.
I know our future still holds many difficulties, but we'll pull trough, it's just a matter of time.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
who cares what he says

until they still have military bases across the globe talk is cheap
very very cheap in fact

actions speak louder than words
forget anything he has to say
he must act!

close the bases oppressing the world and bankrupting the american economy

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Well, that was quick. thanks for the insight on the story. I did say in my post that i was trying to stay as objective as possible.

Although, i do know that there is much work needed by the american administration. It's not just Obama who has to do everything. People around him as well have to do things that will repair damages that were inflicted to many countries around the world.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz
Well, that was quick. thanks for the insight on the story. I did say in my post that i was trying to stay as objective as possible.

Although, i do know that there is much work needed by the american administration. It's not just Obama who has to do everything. People around him as well have to do things that will repair damages that were inflicted to many countries around the world.

I think he is trying it looks like it anyhow but what happens is 8 years will there be a relapse to previous times. Everyone is cadgy it will take several administrations to be confident I reckon.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by majestictwo]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz

The president is trying to improve the US image across Europe, but it's going to be hard, because of all the trouble the former administration has brought.
I think that this will take some time, but if the US changes it's foreign policies a bit, it might become reality.

I hate to break it to you, but it has nothing to do with our Previous President, and EVERYTHING to do with Fundamental Ideological differences. Such an aspect will never change.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
who cares what he says

very very cheap in fact

he must act!

Oh yes, the bases are "Oppressing" the World. What an idiotic comment indeed

Bases do not dictate policy.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

No, but they are there to back them up militarily. We have finally paid off the loans from WWII and I for one would like to see US bases on British soil removed once and for all. They are not needed and we have no obligation to allow them to remain.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Give up anti-Americanism, Obama tells Europe...

...to which Europe replies: "Only if you give it up first!"

I have high hopes for President Obama, but as far as Democratic presidents go, I think he could use a little more Kennedy and a little less Carter.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Give up my anti-Americanism?

I'll give-up my anti-Americanism when you take it from my cold, dead hands!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

who cares what he says

very very cheap in fact

he must act!

I think many Europeans wonder why it is OK for the US to have bases all over the world when its not OK that European countries builds bases in the US. How would you like a large Chinese military base outside Washington?

Its a double standard. And with the US history of constant conflicts and wars, of course the world doesnt trust you. You get all horrified about some country building a missile, but what about looking in the mirror for once? What are you building and where in the world?

The US is building a global empire and while this surely is OK for some Americans, it may not be so OK for Europeans. And whats funny is that you would go totally nuts if some other country acted like you do.

Its not anti-Americanism, its just common sense to not want some other country intruding on your soil. Why is this so hard to understand and why is this called anti-Americanism?

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
He's the Fabio of presidents, what can you expect?

Suave, well-spoken, sadistic, ludicrous, and crazy with power =)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think he should have added the word Government in there while he talked down to America once again. You can claim he was talking about the Bush admin if you like, but he is apearing to be even more arrogant and dismissive than Bush if you ask me.
I was among those that despised Bush, but as an ex-dem, I would almost rather have him back over this clown.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

No, yours is the idiotic and indeed ignorant comment. Menwith Hill in the UK is a massive listening post which contains at least part of ECHELON, a system that has the capability to intercept and sort by keyword all voice and email communications.

The US, among other things, uses this to commercial advantage for its favoured corporations.

And if you don't think it's oppressive, how would you feel about British bases all over your country? Would you feel happy? I doubt it.

And please don't give us that "if it weren't for us you'd all be speaking German or Russian" BS. It was people like Prescott Bush and Averell Harriman (and let's not forget IBM) that helped the Germans re arm and wreak havoc across the continent.

As for "anti-American": if US foreign policy didn't consist entirely of invading other countries or fomenting coups to frustrate the democratic process in those countries, the world might think more highly of the US.

So Barack, be nice and we'll be nice back. Don't lecture us about anti-Americanism. It was around before Dubya, and it'll go away when the US treats the rest of the world with some sort of respect, rather than as people to be manipulated and ripped off for their cheap labour and resources.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

A double standard? Perhaps a history lesson is in order my dear.
1) The Queen Mum has control over "51" countries. The USA has control over "1" The USA.

2) We have been "ASKED" repeatedly under the rules of being an ally (BOTH parties signed these agreements) to certain nations to "help" them and bring in a base; numerous bases are used jointly to help train etc!

3) We ALL need to work at better managing our OWN houses in order for ALL peoples to feel that they are being included in policy and law making on all levels. The G20 is fine, but there are alot more than just 20 countries. Just because one country has more money than another doesn't mean it is the law maker.
This is the new way of doing things. It is being pushed by several ally nations. They want to be able to include more nations in the fold of policy and law making. It IS only FAIR. We all share this planet and we all help each other when things go south it is time for everyone to set aside petty differences and work together so that all peoples can feel they have a say.
4) So far in the crisis this hasn't been working to well with many countries doing things there people are against. But at least they are now attempting to smoth out the ridges caused by the crisis and bring everyone together. ALL of the anger has to be put aside for the world to be a better place for our children and grand children. Many mistakes have been made and DO need to be remidied. But until that time we need to remain vigilant in allowing our voices to be heard,. We will get alot farther if we just attempt to understand one anothers ways of life and how we ALL expect to be treated. It is called common decency. xoxo

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

And if you don't think it's oppressive, how would you feel about British bases all over your country? Would you feel happy? I doubt it.

I honestly wouldn't care. Just don't see the need for it and it would be a waste of money on the UK end.

It is to your advantage that the bases are there. If something happens, then it is the US military that would get called into action.

We pay for it. We have the largest military. I thought it was a collaboration between both countries that if something were to happen the the US Military is there and ready. I have never heard before that it bothered anyobyd.

So Barack, be nice and we'll be nice back. Don't lecture us about anti-Americanism. It was around before Dubya, and it'll go away when the US treats the rest of the world with some sort of respect, rather than as people to be manipulated and ripped off for their cheap labour and resources.

That is the corporations doing. And most Americans are not much happier about it. Yes there needs to be more regulation about it but that would take some major diplomacy.

And a lot of countries economies are not based on it so to suddenly pull out would really hurt those economies. And then we would be further accussed of isonlationism.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

who cares what he says

very very cheap in fact

he must act!

I think many Europeans wonder why it is OK for the US to have bases all over the world when its not OK that European countries builds bases in the US. How would you like a large Chinese military base outside Washington?

Its a double standard. And with the US history of constant conflicts and wars, of course the world doesnt trust you. You get all horrified about some country building a missile, but what about looking in the mirror for once? What are you building and where in the world?

For one, most of the other countries get a little worried when a place like North Korea gains nuclear power. We certainly are not alone in this. Most of Europe has nuclear power do they not? No problem with that. Because we know you guys know how to use them.
For self defense only.

Yes, it is a double standard. I am always on the fence about this. It is not okay for any country to decide who has nuclear power or no.

But it is a little scary for someone like Ahmadinejad or Kim to want them.

But even in America, people with a mental health history isn't allowed to own guns. So it is not totally hypocritical.

The US is building a global empire and while this surely is OK for some Americans, it may not be so OK for Europeans. And whats funny is that you would go totally nuts if some other country acted like you do.

I am gonna refute your claim. All the American bases in Europe, and how many have ever taken any kind of offensive action? They are just there just in case. For theirs and ours. How long have they been there? 60 years?

So far in the recent century we have invaded 2 countries. And we are leaving one of them now. And hopefully the other in a couple of years.2 countries is hardly global domination. And the second one is inviting us in.

The only other country I think we should invade is the Sudan. Sorry, but I think the humanitarian crisis there warrants it.

I have played Risk. And you have to conqure a lot more to win.

Anyways, British companies have reaped just as much benefit from the contracts awarded in iraq as American companies. In fact I think Blackwater was booted out to be replaced by a British country. Again, I don't think we are acting alone.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I have high hopes for President Obama, but as far as Democratic presidents go, I think he could use a little more Kennedy and a little less Carter.

There's a reason this guy (Obama) was virtually unknown before the DNC trotted him out as their token black presidential candidate. The guy can read a teleprompter just fine, but he's not a leader. Sheesh, he was in the Senate only 2 years before he became president — the guy has no Executive talent and barely any Legislative talent.

Obama certainly hasn't demonstrated any diplomatic talent. Even a first-year marketing apprentice understands this simple concept: Don't Talk Down Your Own Product. It makes you seem weak, wishy-washy and traitorous — but then, everybody will come to more fully appreciate this over the next 4 years.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Good call, in my opinion. Nothing is more important than regaining Europe's support.

Anyone who thinks we do not need the rest of the world's help and support is #*$#**#$ dumb.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
reply to post by Copernicus

A double standard? Perhaps a history lesson is in order my dear.
1) The Queen Mum has control over "51" countries. The USA has control over "1" The USA.

Really? She'll have a job given that 'the Queen Mum' died in 2002. I think you mean something else entirely.

Secondly, I think those '"51" countries' would pretty much piss themselves at the idea that the Queen Elizabeth II actually has "control" over them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join