It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I Go Get My Sister's Gun?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I hope I am not feeding into fear mongering, but tonight was the first time I seriously decided I need a gun. My sis has one, over at Dad's. I prefer knives, but would feel safer with a gun to protect us of shtf.

Here's my problem!

I have never held/shot a gun in my life.

Can anyone help me with pros and cons of having a gun? The mass murder, then the murder at my moms grocery store have me very worried that this is only going to get worse. People out of work get desperate.

Also, if I do go get her gun, is a gun club or a shooting range a good place to learn how to shoot, or should I ask my dad to teach me?

And how smart or stupid would getting a concealed weapons permit be?

Thanks! I hope this information can help other first timers as well, so please contribute to this thread. I want to feel like I have a chance in case anything happens.

There are probably a lot of people like me who are determined to be as prepared as possible, and I just think a firearm is a necessity any more, to protect ourselves in our own homes during these for certain upcoming hard times. I live in a big city, which I HATE, (would rather be out in the remote country), and I have to be vigilant about my and my sister's personal safety.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
If you want one, or intend to have one, I'd definitely get someone to teach you to shoot. You may wish to contact the NRA, as they have instructors who are great!

One thing I have noted.

A man not very familiar with weapons, specifically handguns tend to miss a lot when it's crunch time.

But a woman, not very familiar with handguns, for whatever reason, will kill the hell out of a man.

I think women have better instincts than men when it comes to the point and shoot, while a man is more concerned with the aiming aspect, which if relatively unfamiliar, is counterproductive.

If you get one, learn from an instructor, and then practice.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
It has been explained to me that women are more likely to EMPTY their clip into a person when she is threatened, due to fear and all.

Luckily enough, cops also see the emptied clip as fear for the person's life... and more likely chance of getting off without any charges.

That is how it was explained to me by a cop friend anyway... empty your clip when threatened, and you will get sympathy from the authorities everytime.

As for a gun, you want to check several out for sure.. find what feels comfortable in your hand before you go any further. They are fun to learn about, just have someone experienced around to show you. Most men are happy to teach a woman about his guns.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
you can go to a local gun shop and ask information about the gun your sister has, like proper way to load it, cleaning it etc. if the gun is in your home for personal protection you shouldn't need a consealed weapons permit, but if you plan to carry it in your car or on your person you should take the class and get it, also most of the instructers are very helpful as to showing you how to operate you firearm in a safe matter,and please go to a gun range and practice shooting, because if you have never shot guns before you will get shooter jitters. hope this help you peace out.

CrawGator406 GO VOLS

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
If you haven't shot a gun before I suggest taking lessons. Most shooting ranges have them. Learn to feel comfortable with it in your hand. Decide ahead of time if you think you could use it if you have to. Most important is not to let anyone know that you own a gun. I made that mistake and mine was stolen. Fortunately they caught the punk that took it and I got it back after his trial. Most guns are stolen by people you know! Sad but true. It's a big responsibility. Make sure it is safe where no child could get to it.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer
If you haven't shot a gun before I suggest taking lessons. Most shooting ranges have them. Learn to feel comfortable with it in your hand.

I agree with this 100%.
We have shooting ranges here that allow you to take lessons, renting their guns.. You can try several different types, and be shown how to use them, etc. At the same time, they also allow classes for getting a Concealed Weapons Permit, so you can know your rights, and be packing legally!

PS, I always kinda saw you as rather liberal... Makes me kinda happy to see you are thinking about this, OP. Definitely some lessons will help you know where to go from there. Plenty of awesome cop-types at my local range.... If you are into that type.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
If you want one, or intend to have one, I'd definitely get someone to teach you to shoot. You may wish to contact the NRA, as they have instructors who are great!

One thing I have noted.

A man not very familiar with weapons, specifically handguns tend to miss a lot when it's crunch time.

But a woman, not very familiar with handguns, for whatever reason, will kill the hell out of a man.

I think women have better instincts than men when it comes to the point and shoot, while a man is more concerned with the aiming aspect, which if relatively unfamiliar, is counterproductive.

If you get one, learn from an instructor, and then practice.

heh heh, I've always put it down to the female of the species being more deadly and chilling than the male but there you go, that's just me

HBT, go get the gun, just obviously don't treat it as a toy, find the nearest shooting club and do some practice there.

TBH I think taking a handgun into the wilderness and practicing there in a real environment is optimal than a firing range chamber but start off slow and move on up

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Yes im gonna go there and call you out on this OP!

Your a Super Liberal, why are you worried about getting a gun, liberals aside from a few are in a whole against gun ownership and have plans to destroy the 2nd Amendement all together.

Men you helped vote into office

Barack H. Obama (President)
Joseph R. Biden Jr. (Vice-President)

Both 2 big time anti gun Senators, Joe was one of the biggest anti gun senators along side Obama there ever was, he who pushed for gun control almost on a daily basis in Chicago! Both men are a joke!

Than they bring on!

Eric Holder (Attorney General)
Rahm Emanuel (Chief of Staff)

Both Anti Gun politicans trying to push there anti gun agenda!

I just dont see your basis for wanting one, it is in fact Obamas mess driving this problem we have in the States today! After Jan 20th it was the previous guys fault any longer sorry because I know you will bring that up in defense. Firing CEOs of Car Companies, Paying people $1 a year, driving businesses bankrupt, Porkolous spending bill so massive if pushing this country deeper into debt, Increasing the wars in Iraq and Afganistan (21,000 soldiers added to the battle), Getting more money for operations in Pakistan.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KonigKaos

I consider myself extremely liberal, but does that mean when shtf I do not want to be prepared? Besides the gun, this summer I have camping lined up specifically to learn myself some outdoor skills, because I figure I can learn best by trial and error from my friends. I also need to scout safe locations.

Anyway I regret my vote for Obama already, and I do not think he is a liberal at all. I do not feel he embodies my values. he seems to be and I hope I am wrong, just as excited about restricting my freedoms as Bush Cheney and co, whom I still loathe btw.

My idea of liberalism seems to differ from Obama's. He wasted no time disappointing me.

But really, does this have much to do with first timers on the gun front?

Besides, if all the right wing fear mongering about O's gun controls ARE true, I need to get my butt in gear now and get on with procuring my gun and education!

If shtf, I may have to kill my food with a gun, does striving to be less reliant upon government and more self sufficient mean I cannot espouse extreme liberal views as well?

I loathe being labeled, because I am very much more complex than a political label.

I appreciate your point of view though, thank you for replying.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone who has added advice to the thread. My next step will be to find out what gun ranges are around here. I am sure a few, it IS Kentucky!!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You're in Kentucky, as I am. We have the concealed carry permits here and to get one, you must successfully pass a class which deals with how to use a weapon, when to use a weapon, etc. It's a good class, but I only attended on class. I don't know how others teach. But all the instructors must adhere to a certain lesson plan as required by the state.
If you dad knows about guns, and you sister has a gun, then talk with them and go with them somewhere where you can fire whatever guns they have safely. Start with them. Gun dealers are happy to discuss the pros and cons of different weapons and will try to get you buy a more expensive weapon. That's their job. lol. But I find they are honest when discussing the pros and cons of each individual weapon. Definitely contact the NRA for advice. Seek out gun clubs. Members are always hoooah to have people seek their advice and guidance. Once you decide on a weapon, practice, practice, practice. Learn to load in the dark. That way you will be confident when there is light to load by. Also, in Kentucky we have the right to carry openly. But learn the laws. You might get a lot of strange looks with a handgun strapped to your waist, but not very many people will mess with you. Especially a woman. That's an awesome sight for many. There are places where guns are not allowed under any conditions. Learn. And practice. And remember, if you point a gun at someone, you damn well better be prepared to use it without hesitation. Otherwise, it could be taken from you and used against you. Guns aren't dangerous. Only the people wielding them.

Sorry about spelling errors. Just don't want to go back and correct what my lazy fingers accomplished.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by kyred]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I hope I am not feeding into fear mongering, but tonight was the first time I seriously decided I need a gun. My sis has one, over at Dad's. I prefer knives, but would feel safer with a gun to protect us of shtf.

Here's my problem!

I have never held/shot a gun in my life.

Can anyone help me with pros and cons of having a gun? The mass murder, then the murder at my moms grocery store have me very worried that this is only going to get worse. People out of work get desperate.

Thanks! I hope this information can help other first timers as well, so please contribute to this thread. I want to feel like I have a chance in case anything happens.

Fortunately, I have never found the need to purchase a firearm, as most of what I own has been passed down through my family. We have some truly amazing pieces, quite a few of which are of significant historical value. I have only fired a few of them, but I dare say that I have always been comfortable around "guns" due to the sheer aspect of growing up around them to some degree (MY whole family is MIL as well).

On that note, I wold tell you to find a shooting range which also allows you to rent a firearm. Find one that has a good variety, so you can test different models and calibers, thus formulating a preference, and building upon your experience as well. Start out with a .22 Rifle and/or Pistol, and once you have made certain that you are proficient in such, then move on up to .38 Specials and 9mm's. As you become use to the heavier recoil, then feel free to practice with .45's, .40 S&W's, 10mm's, .357 Magnums, etc. (Roughly in order of Least to Greatest Power). Also, try Auto-loaders vs. Revolvers (i.e., a Gun fed with a Magazine that goes into the bottom of the Grip, vs. the "Wild West" style pistol where you load each individual bullet into a cylinder).

A Concealed Weapons Permit (Different names in different states), is definitely a great way to protect yourself at all times. Of course you will have to remember when and where you can vs. cannot carry, regardless of the permit you hold, but they will teach this to you in the required classes.

Also, remember the most important rule, and that is the fact that you need a proper way of securing your firearms. If you have children, this is of an even greater concern. Trigger locks with a quick key release are a good idea, as is a safe which can be quickly opened with a key. If you are by yourself, and/or you feel there is a higher than normal threat against you, then of course you will adjust such procedures accordingly.

As far as being taught to shoot, if your dad has experience, and you can work well with him, then by all means learn from him. My father taught me how to handle a firearm, and it is definitely a bonding experience. For many fathers, teaching their children something which they share a like or love of is a great experience (Regardless of Age). I would not have missed such opportunities for ANYTHING when it came to my folks, and I look forward to future likewise possibilities.

I hope I provided some answers which assisted you in your decision making process. Let me know if you still have anymore questions

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Your fears are justified. The police cannot protect you just investigate the crime after it has happened. As other have stated, go get some lessons. Look for local ranges where they teach classes. If you can't find any, look for some local gun forums. Maybe someone on their can point you in the right direction for some training.

Many people with no experience with guns are very intimidated until they are trained properly and learn the safe way to handle a weapon. You will find a sense of pride and a peace of mind knowing you have the ability to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Good luck on your journey and enjoy your 2nd amendment rights while you still can!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Before you go get a gun, get the knowledge of how to use it, care for it, and store it safely. Yes have your father teach you, then if you can afford it take a class.

Spiritowl

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
OP, Im glad you got my point, it may of sounded a little harsh, just you understand, so thank you for explaining yourself this go around now, I see where you are coming from!

I carry a Ruger 45 and w/a carry permit!

but i would recommend a Smith & Wesson .38, small but great and you can get them hammerless to put in your pocket or into a purse for youself!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
just my 2cents.

If you have never held or shot a gun before, you need lots of traning..
check out your papers for Hunters saftey course, a lot can be learned from there. If not look for gun saftey classes.

a huge percent of people that get hurt or killed from a break in are from their own gun, because they either dont know how to properly and safley use it, or they freeze when the time comes.

i fully support everyone having a gun, but you have to learn the ins and outs.
Its not your target you look at..

Burgler breaks in your house, you grab your gun... now you have to decide to shoot or not...
variables... one , will they go away,
two, can you hit the target
three will you be calm enough to properly use the gun
four what is the path of the bullet..

four being very important, its not just what you shoot at, but what is behind them.. say you shoot the bad guy and they go down, but where did the bullet go? through them, through the wall behind them.. and whats behind that wall? maby your kids room?

I would say lots of learning and get someone that knows gun saftey to teach you then decide on what kind of a gun you can handle.
a .44 or .45 will take anyone down, but if you are not strong enough to handle the recoil it can take you down too as it knocks you out.

Look for some classes, check around and get your self a .22 learn saftey and accuracy with that.. then try your hand at larger.

Better to be safe and learn the right way than end up a statistic.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Again, thank you all for the excellent advice. I am still mulling this over, it is a big step. My sister's gun is a 38 special, from what I hear that should be a great size for a woman's gun. I am going to have dad start showing me about the gun, to familiarize myself with it before I go any further.

KK, its ok, I appreciate your participation. I HAVE always been mighty anti gun, maybe getting older my opinions are evolving, who knows!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
For home defense, you may want to consider a pump action shotgun such as a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 equipped with an 18" barrel and loaded with low recoil 00 buckshot. No intruder will escape the wrath of that gun and the person squeezing the trigger. Just the sound of the pump action alone will cause many to either flee or dirty their drawers.

These guns are easy to operate and you can still find ammo to load them and practice with. I can't say that for the popular handgun calibers such as 9mm. I have stopped going to the range in order to preserve what 9mm ammo I have left. But, I can always practice with my 870 at the range. I even practice with my cheap skeet/trap reloads. Its not the same as the 00 buckshot but it allows me to practice the handling and loading of the gun. It is all about muscle memory and practice.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
My wife was in her mid 50s before she expressed any desire to fire a gun of any type.... I bought her a .22 semi automatic rifle and scope, and taught her what all I could and started her out on hand guns with a .22 pistol.... She now has a 5 shot .38 S&W with an alloy frame and shrouded hammer..... On her days off she sometimes sets up targets and sneaks my 8" barrelled .357 magnum Dan Wesson target pistol out of it's case, shoots some very tight little groups, cleans it and returns it to its case.... As was stated in an earlier post women are naturally good shots with pistols, and a little 99 pound Tejana nearing retirement age has gained a lot of respect from quite a few good ole boys that have been shooting all of there lives, and can't match her with a pistol.... I have noticed that when little girls are playing with dolls they point there fingers at them a lot when they are scolding them and continue this behaviour through out their lives with boys, men and children. That has to have something to do with the inherent aptitude they all seem to possess with hand guns.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join