It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoplifters can be cured with a pill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Shoplifters can be cured with a pill

www.telegraph.co.uk

A drug commonly used to treat alcohol and drug addiction may help curb the urge to steal among prolific shoplifters, scientists have said.

They found the drug naltrexone helped take away the "thrill" that drives some kleptomaniacs to steal.

"It gets rid of that rush and desire," said Dr Jon Grant, of the University of Minnesota in America, who led the study.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Those who took naltrexone reported significantly less stealing behaviour compared to those given placebo.

The drug works by blocking nerve interactions in the brain that create feelings of pleasure.

While this study certainly suggests that some deviant behaviours are caused by "ill-associated" neuro pathways and as such supports the idea that human behaviour is chemically induced, the biggest interest I have in this story is the fact that a seemingly low level crime (perhaps not so dismissive as a compulsive habit) could be dealt with through corrective pharmaceutical therapy.

Is this what we are looking forward to? The forced medication as treatment for criminal behaviour, even criminal behaviour not felonious by legal standards? Are we going to be looking toward chemical corrections to alleviate the strain on the prison system?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Is this what we are looking forward to? The forced medication as treatment for criminal behaviour, even criminal behaviour not felonious by legal standards? Are we going to be looking toward chemical corrections to alleviate the strain on the prison system?

I certainly hope not, I think that big pharma drugs are equivalent to the illegal pushers...

Get em hooked, and make them pay.

Medicated shoplifters?

What's next? Overmotivated soccer moms? Oh she's way out of line, let's prescribe her something....

Zombie time

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I just wonder what the drug will be used to control next.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Seems they've got a pill for everything deemed "socially unacceptable".
Feeling a little blue about your life,choices, future? well you shouldn't that's not normal! here's a pill to cure you! don't enjoy being a drone told what to do and looked down upon even when you try your best? well you're alone, everybody else can handle it, take this tablet twice daily and it'll solve all your problems!
i think a lot of mental health "issues" would be better served with a friendly ear, then doping them into oblivion. But what do i know, i'm not a pharmacologist.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
What should be noted is that these pills aren't as specific as they would like for people to believe. They are general stimulants for specific neurotransmitters or act to block specific neurotransmitters (in some cases by stimulating the opposite chemicals).

Since the brain and thusly beaviour are predicated on experience and thusly the associations made by the body to certain stimulii/actions (to over simplify) the 'fix' is to discourage the 'pleasure' chemicals from secreting at all...thusly bypassing the associative reference that originated/perpetuated the behaviour in the first place. In the case of depressed individuals...the fix is to merely stimulate the 'pleasure'chemicals, again, bypassing the associative experience which resulted in the habitual physical reaction in the first place.

So the story is actually more significant in that it is equating deviant behaviour with chemical dependency but the application is what gets me...corrective chemical therapy (inadequate as of now for the reasons above) for seemingly unimpressive misdeamonor compulsions...

Scary stuff in my opinion...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

guess i didn't think about it that way. next thing you know , we'll be hearing about people getting the same pills for sexual harassment.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
They'd need to create a pill that cures poverty and drug dependency also.

It's evident that shoplifting isn't driven by psychological predisposition. The financial losses experienced by large and small traders tend to result from addicts needing exchange items (for heroin or crack) or shoplifters making profits through resale. The impact of the kleptomaniac would surely be of much less concern to the retail industry. Even where some organized groups of shoplifters aren't poor themselves, their customers usually are.

If the pharmacorps make a pill, they'll hawk it around and promote its sale. Unhappiness, addiction, stealing can never be 'cured' by a simple pill. The pharmacorps ignore the environmental factors in search of more profits.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The NWO should make an anti-conspiracy pill.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

I believe it's called TV.

I look around, and what do I see?

Grieving relatives are given "anti-depressants"... more like "soul killers".
Am I right?

I've seen too many friends screwed up because the doctor was clearly bribed by the pharmaceutical companies to prescribe "soul killers" rather than tell the patient to see a counselor about the traumatic events.

Happy, excited, playful children are given Ritalin.
... because apparently being a normal child just isn't right.

Placid people are given uppers.

Fat people are also issued uppers.

Happy people are given downers.

Women with flat curves are issued hormones.

The list is endless!

What is so wrong with addressing the causes of your issues?!
If your kid is excitable, give them something to direct their attention on!
If you've been through a traumatic event, TALK ABOUT IT.
If you're placid, that's not a problem!
If you're fat, exercise more!
If you're happy, GOOD!
If you're not as curvy as your friends, SO WHAT?!

Shakespeare once wrote : "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers"

Perhaps if he could see the state of our current world, he'd re-write that passage to include Pharmaceutical lobbyists and doctors who take bribes.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

There's little doubt that the western world is over-medicated. Some sections of society expect to find all the answers in a pill packet. Some sections are happy to provide those answers...Conversely, a lot of people have their lives improved by the use of medication. I avoid meds apart from the random ibuprofen for a headache. Nevertheless, a lot of people do turn to meds.

The prescribed use of ritalin or concerta can be a knee jerk reaction to a child's behavior. SSRIs can be a similar reaction to a persons perception of unhappiness. At the same time, I know cases where ritalin has been successful in improving the happiness of a child's life. The parents/carers feel more able to cope and can finally enjoy an unbroken nights sleep. The impact on a knackered parent/carer's job shouldn't be overlooked. The child gains more from school and receives more positive attention than negative.

A child that would benefit from ritalin and is deprived of the opportunity can face enormous consequences. They can cause family breakups due to the relentless need for attention that eventually exhausts the parent. They can become neglected by parents that can't cope. Mainstream education can't 'provide for their needs' so they end up in special education. Some also end up in care.

Social, emotional and behavioral difficulties dictate certain outcomes in life. Most people grow out of ADHD and suchlike around age 19. Unfortunately, by this time a lot of damage can already be done. Criminal records and no appropriate qualifications are no help when trying to find your niche in life. This is the point in their lives whereby two outcomes tend to arise. One is intervention by criminal justice and the other is interventions by mental health.

I've seen the positive impact of these meds on several youngsters. Growth during the teens requires a change in prescription and a tinkering with the timing of medication...slow release taken in the morning or 2-3 smaller doses through the day. These periods of transition can reveal the differences. Some go off the rails and become involved in incidents of assault, vandalism and aggressive behaviors to others. The spontaneity of their actions dismisses thought of consequences. They can run into traffic, punch glass, try to jump from moving cars. When the meds tinkering is over, normality returns. They attend classes, sleep at night etc.

I know a lot of members are wholly against the use of meds with kids. I agree that medication is a solution of last resort. In the cases of the kind of kid I've referred to...it is a last resort. It improves many areas of their lives.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Next they will be trying to put a smile on your face even though you do not want it. Life is bad for most of us, but when big government comes in it makes it worse.

Like brave new world, medication for everything. What was wrong with just being normal people, yep life is sh1t alot of the time, but our life should be ours.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
An important distinction here....

A shoplifter is a person who steals for profit of some sort...even if that "profit" is a full belly for them and or their family.The items they take have value,either in the form of money or food etc.

A Kleptomaniac is a person "addicted " to the release of certain neurotransmitters that are released in connection with the "thrill" of stealing.
The items they take are often baffling to us...and quite valueless.

The pill may well help with Kleptomania...but NOT shoplifting.

new topics

top topics

join