It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Orbit Slowed By "Invader"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Firstly I would like to state that I'm NOT a Nibiruist but open to possibilities.

This is just a thought I have had and wanted to hear what others might think.

Is it possible that, at some time in the not too distant past, Earth's orbit around the Sun may have been slowed by a large body passing in close proximity to Earth?
Mythology aside, a circle is divided into 360 degrees, a system which doesn't seem to make sense on the surface. Was this system based on the Earth's orbit around the Sun? One degree for every day?

We know the Earth takes aroung 365 days to orbit the Sun but maybe at one time a year was only 360 days long. Could the gravitational pull by a large object have slowed the Earth's orbit so that it now takes 365 days to circumnavigate the Sun?

Also could the Earth's spin on it's axis have been faster (probably unrelated) in the distant past. A faster spinning Earth would mean centrifugal forces would offset gravity somewhat meaning creatures could grow much larger i.e. dinosaurs.

Would this effect be significant or negligible?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Don't know about the large body, but here's the reason for 360 degrees:

t was during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (605-562 BC) in the Chaldean dynasty in Babylon that the circle was divided into 360 degrees. This was because the Chaldeans had calculated by observation and inference that a complete year numbered 360 days. The basis of angular measure for the mathematicians of Babylon was the angle at each of the corners of an equilateral triangle. They did not have decimal fractions and thus found it difficult to deal with remainders when doing division. So they agreed to divide the corner of an equilateral triangle into 60 degrees, because 60 could be divided by 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 without remainder. Each degree was divided into 60 minutes and each minute into 60 seconds. If the angles at the corners of six equilateral triangles are placed together they form the angle formed by a complete circle. It is for this reason that there are six times 60 degrees of arc in the complete circle.

www.physlink.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Well there you have it.

My overactive imagination knocked down in one fell swoop!

This is exactly the reason I posted this topic though. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

You are on a roll tonight !

Nice research.

Great work. Regards......KK

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The poles might shift by the gravitonal strength of Niburu, Nemesis, or whatever it is called, but it is a brown dwarf nonetheless.

Our Solar System may be an binary star system, where an inferior star orbits an superior star (which may occur in up to 80% of all solar systems, including ours!)

I've heard from 10 to 20 degrees axis tilt when the brown dwarf is the closest to Earth (It may be dragging much deadlier asteriods with it, since it passed by either the Kupier Asteriod Belt which is beyond Pluto, or the Mars-Jupiter asteriod belt.

So the North Pole and the South Pole will not be in the same place as it would be closer to the new equator because of the axis tilt, and therefore the ice will melt at both poles at a rapid pace.

It will be perhaps hundreds or thousands of years before the new North and South Poles (present day Russia or Canada/ Australia or Brazil, respectively), accumulate their new ice fields that will eventually lower sea levels... Until the next time.

So, Greenhouse gases, as much as Al Gore would desperately want people to believe- would not melt the caps- but rather an actual tilt of the Ice at both poles to their new positions nearer the equator.

It's likely that the severity of 'Planet X's' effects depends on how heavily the Earth is affected...

Since Nibiru is supposed to orbit our sun every 3600 years, Earth may have had fortunate times where Earth was as far away from Nibiru as possible, and therefore did not suffer such severe effects however we may be unfortunate this time.

Nibiru may be coming very close to our Earth this time, which of course notches up the damage potential a lot.

Would we notice the tilt? Maybe not, not until the ice starts melting, the sea levels rise, and either hemisphere finds themselves into longer or shorter winters.

But what else would a passing Brown Dwarf star do? The Earth would freeze into place for perhaps hours or days, and I'm not very knowledgeable in this, but one of the effects would be the tides. I don't know the effects of tides if the Earth stops moving.

And depending on what you believe about our Moon- Who knows its history concerning Earth or Nibiru-related effects on our moon.

It could also cause severe earthquakes, since the dynamics of the Earth is being interrupted- kind of like twirling water in a cup clockwise then suddenly twirling it counterclockwise, because the Earth's core (not much is known about the inner Earth) might act abormally, affecting our crust.

It would likely last for many hours or days, but the long-term effects might be the pollution of the volcano eruptions that block the sun, causing two or three consecutive winters. This could be what killed off the dinosaurs.

Large asteriods might strike desert areas, kicking up sand and soil into the atmosphere- just as bad. Asteriods or earthquakes would of course create tsunamis if they strike the ocean.

There are a lot of factors, maybe we wouldn't notice Nibiru passing, or we would notice it... big time.

The mayan calendar ends in the year 2012. Why? Did the Mayans simply stop their calendar in the year 2012 just because they didn't see the point in making an eternal calendar, or because it was the date Nibiru would arrive, in effect pressing the 'Reset' button of civilization?

Nibiru might be at its closest in 2012-2013, or 2018, it's hard to know because our time records might be off by as much as 3-6 years. So, Christ was born in 4-6 BC and not 0 AD, (and this year might actually be 2003, or 2014, for example) So when will Nibiru come?

Who knows.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by star in a jar]

[edit on 4-4-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Gravitation affects an entire body. Gravity cannot affect the rotation of a planet or its tilt.

Tidal effects are are result of gravitational gradient. If a body passes within a certain distance of another (the Roche limit) it will disintegrate due to the strength of those effects. When a body orbits another (i.e. the Moon and the Earth) tidal effects eventually lead to tidal locking, causing one face of the moon to always face the planet. Over the very, very long term, those effects will also lead to the slowing of the rotation of the planet and an increase of the distance between the moon and the planet. Tidal forces cannot affect the tilt of a planet.

The only way the rotation or tilt of a planet can be affected by the passage of another is if there is a collision. If that happens the axial tilt will be of no concern. Believe me.

The body "Nibiru" is not approaching Earth or the inner or outer Solar System. It is the invention of Zecharia Sitchin.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage
The only way the rotation or tilt of a planet can be affected by the passage of another is if there is a collision. If that happens the axial tilt will be of no concern. Believe me. The body "Nibiru" is not approaching Earth or the inner or outer Solar System. It is the invention of Zecharia Sitchin.

I think you're correct, about a tilt not being possible without a collison, but re Zecharia, He mixed facts with fiction, and I think the idea of a Planet X comes from earlier sources, Zecharia simply used those sources.

I find it odd that our recorded history covers only about 2100 years of human history while homo sapien is supposed to have existed for 200,000 years.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Wow. Could that be actually possible that SOL is a binary star system???
I mean, we would have known by now, wouldn't we?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired
[I mean, we would have known by now, wouldn't we?]

We might, if we were told the truth, which I don't think we are.

The truth is, if such an object were heading towards us, the powers that be would not tell us until the last minute, if any notice at all. The knowledge of possible immient destruction would create panic, and they cannot have that.

I saw another thread that suggested that a comet which just passed us (the one that has the brightness of two jupiters and a huge tail) is actually Niburu, but I'm not so sure. (Notice how the media never told us about this giant comet that they must have seen coming beforehand and until we actually saw it in the skies, at the last minute, passing us by harmlessly) I think, I could be mistaken, but this comet was discovered by an amateur skygazer.

How the government could miss an approaching comet with the brightness of two jupiters... well...

new topics

top topics

join