It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea missile launch may come in hours

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

The multistage rocket flew over Japan and landed in the Pacific Ocean, the Japanese broadcaster NHK said, citing its government.

Source

There you go. Emphasis mine.

reply to post by Zaphod58

It was my understanding that they stated they would take the rocket down if it violated Japanese airspace. Was that not said at one point?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
U.S. statement on North Korean rocket launch

Washington, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- North Korea's rocket launch is posing a serious threat to the international community, a U.S. State Department spokesman told BNO News on late Saturday, shortly after North Korea launched a rocket.

"North Korea's development, deployment and proliferation of ballistic missiles, missile related materials, equipment and technologies pose a serious threat to the Northeast Asian region and to the international community," the official said.

He said he did not yet have any information about the actual vehicle or if it reached orbit. "We see this as a provocative act [..] it's a violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution," the official added.

And from the wires:

Barack Obama says US will call emergency meeting of UN Security Council over North Korea launch.

Statement on North Korean rocket launch by President Obama

Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC (BNO NEWS) -- "North Korea's development and proliferation of ballistic missile technology pose a threat to the northeast Asian region and to international peace and security. The launch today of a Taepo-dong 2 missile was a clear violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1718, which expressly prohibits North Korea from conducting ballistic missile-related activities of any kind. With this provocative act, North Korea has ignored its international obligations, rejected unequivocal calls for restraint, and further isolated itself from the community of nations.

We will immediately consult with our allies in the region, including Japan and the Republic of Korea, and members of the U.N. Security Council to bring this matter before the Council. I urge North Korea to abide fully by the resolutions of the U.N. Security Council and to refrain from further provocative actions.

Preventing the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery is a high priority for my administration. The United States is fully committed to maintaining security and stability in northeast Asia and we will continue working for the verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula through the Six-Party Talks. The Six-Party Talks provide the forum for achieving denuclearization, reducing tensions, and for resolving other issues of concern between North Korea, its four neighbors, and the United States. North Korea has a pathway to acceptance in the international community, but it will not find that acceptance unless it abandons its pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and abides by its international obligations and commitments."

[edit on 4/4/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

The multistage rocket flew over Japan and landed in the Pacific Ocean, the Japanese broadcaster NHK said, citing its government.

Source

It was my understanding that they stated they would take the rocket down if it violated Japanese airspace. Was that not said at one point?

This is from a CNN article a day or so ago. Japan walked back from their original position that they would shoot down a missile that crossed over their country.

Here is the excerpt from the CNN article...

"Japan recently mobilized its missile defense system in response to the planned launch. Japanese officials said the move is aimed at shooting down any debris from the launch that might fall into Japanese territory."

So they backed off to indicating they would destroy any "debris" that "might" fall on Japan.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

On March 3rd Japan deployed two destroyers to the Sea of Japan, supposedly with orders to shoot the missile down if it approached Japan. On March 13th Tokyo said that they reserve the right to shoot it down especially if it appeared that it was going to strike Japanese territory. From about then on the US and Japan both said that they would ONLY take action against the missile if it appeared it was going to fail or that it any debris was going to land on Japan.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AncientMariner

But would there be any debris over Japan?

Wouldn't the rocket still be in one piece at that point?

Anyway. Point is they didn't shoot it down and it crashed by itself.

NK isn't exactly well known for the reliability of their rockets so that is no surprise.

Originally posted by Zaphod58

On March 3rd Japan deployed two destroyers to the Sea of Japan, supposedly with orders to shoot the missile down if it approached Japan. On March 13th Tokyo said that they reserve the right to shoot it down especially if it appeared that it was going to strike Japanese territory. From about then on the US and Japan both said that they would ONLY take action against the missile if it appeared it was going to fail or that it any debris was going to land on Japan.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I retract my original cheapshot at Japan and the US.

I still think it sets a horrible precedent though for future launches by NK. They must be celebrating themselves into a gutter at the moment.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Déjà vu? How is this really very different from this incident in 1998?

www.guardian.co.uk...

Tuesday 1 September 1998 14.38 BST
North Korea yesterday stirred up a strategic weapons storm in the Pacific by launching a new, long-range ballistic missile which overflew Japan before splashing down in the ocean.

Pyongyang's cry for world attention shattered the limits of Western tolerance when it emerged that the Daepodong-1 rocket passed without permission through Japanese airspace.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The first stage was SUPPOSED to drop off in the Sea of Japan to the west of Japan, and the second stage in the Pacific to the east of Japan. If either stage had malfunctioned or not dropped off on time it would have landed on Japan.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

The first stage was SUPPOSED to drop off in the Sea of Japan to the west of Japan, and the second stage in the Pacific to the east of Japan. If either stage had malfunctioned it would or not dropped off on time it would have landed on Japan.

Link To Article... www.cnn.com...

"Japan's chief Cabinet secretary told reporters after the launch that the country's military was not forced to intercept any missiles, which it had pledged to do if necessary.

Preliminary data show that two objects, likely boosters from the rocket, apparently fell around Japan, one in the Sea of Japan and one in the Pacific Ocean."

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

CNN International just said that the we are trying to recover the debris, but that it would be difficult to reach it before it sinks into the ocean. Obviously they want to check out their level of technology, and I am sure they want to check them for radiological exposure.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Man,
Its sad that people are that greedy now. In the shadow of nuclear brinkmanship all those folks are worried about is their money.

Sickening.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I'm interested on the reports of any recovered rocket debris (radiation & tech).

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yeah. Those people who made the rocket work well should be accredited as well. Why should the US act as an international policeman?

Anyway, why are Japan and NKorea at logger.s?
A bit of history please.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Is Kim Jong Il going to be painted as the next Sadaam w/ his WMD's?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hitmen
A bit of history please.

Korea was one of Japan’s first conquests as Japan began building its Imperial Empire. Korea became a Japanese colony in 1910. It was a harsh, unforgiving military rule. During World War II, Koreans were turned into slave laborers and brought to Japan to keep factories humming as Japanese men were sent to the front.

The end of hostilities was just the beginning of troubles for Korea, which finally split in half with the North snuggled firmly under the wing of the then Soviet Union.

The Korean War solidified the boundaries between north and south. But while South Korea emerged as a major economic power, the north not only remained reclusive, but started waging a kind of low-level warfare with Japan.

Sometimes, like this incident five years ago when North Korean and Japanese boats traded fire, not so low level at all. But oddly enough, this is NOT what enraged the Japanese most. That would be the cases of the abducted.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by hitmen
A bit of history please.

Wiki's a good a place as any to start:

en.wikipedia.org...

It's a lot more complex than that though. These things usually are.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Missile Launched...
And North Korea watches as yet again the World can sit back and do nothing...

Just like a Bully in School. The World is helpless to react. Kim Jong Ill could pretty much do anything he wanted at this point... Without cause for alarm from any of the pussies around them.

I think he should go a. and do something else, he must be getting bold by now.

His big test was to see what he could get away with. Now he knows, he can sell a Nuclear Arm to any rogue nation or any purchaser, just like a black market and get away with it.

Anybody remember that movie called Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes, Sandra Bullock? heh

That's what this world reminds me of now. Kim Jong is Simon Phoenix...

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AncientMariner

Originally posted by fooffstarr

Source

This is from a CNN article a day or so ago. Japan walked back from their original position that they would shoot down a missile that crossed over their country.

Here is the excerpt from the CNN article...

"Japan recently mobilized its missile defense system in response to the planned launch. Japanese officials said the move is aimed at shooting down any debris from the launch that might fall into Japanese territory."

So they backed off to indicating they would destroy any "debris" that "might" fall on Japan.

Yeah they backed off. They are scared of North Korea... We pulled their taste for War right out of their mouth.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Bah, All this build up and nothing.

Refund!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Hey! That dastardly Kim Jong-il got away with it again! Lets shove some sanctions in his face because he totally cares about the general welfare of North Korea. I mean, launching an absolutely useless satellite for the glorious prosperity of -

I can't even go on. This is a joke.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
Missile Launched...
And North Korea watches as yet again the World can sit back and do nothing...

Just like a Bully in School. The World is helpless to react. Kim Jong Ill could pretty much do anything he wanted at this point... Without cause for alarm from any of the pussies around them.

I think he should go a. and do something else, he must be getting bold by now.

His big test was to see what he could get away with. Now he knows, he can sell a Nuclear Arm to any rogue nation or any purchaser, just like a black market and get away with it.

Anybody remember that movie called Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes, Sandra Bullock? heh

That's what this world reminds me of now. Kim Jong is Simon Phoenix...

On the other hand, the U.S. could be seen as the bully who wouldn't let other countries have the same technology they possess and who, like typical bullies, backed down when the bullied fights back.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join