It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea missile launch may come in hours

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

CNN International has been going on non-stop since the launch occurred.
I have not seen anything on the other channels though, looks like they are on the canned shows ATM.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by spinkyboo

The rocket motors from the different stages. As each stage burns out it falls off lightening the rocket, and clearing the motors for the next stage.

Ah - thanks and -
how wonderful for our ocean...

I know - it's not what people are worried about -
when it comes to something like this -
but I still can't help but wonder why these things don't matter.
That all of the litter in space and ocean and earth is just acceptable.
Anyway - back to the more pressing concern...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I pesonally think we dropped the ball on this one...After repeted warnings from the entire world,we should have blasted it wile sitting on the pad..letting them launch just showed kimmy we as a world will fold at his wims..ZERO TOLLERANCE!!!!!!!!!!..

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I just don't like how all of the U.S.A's "leaders" are all out of the country during this. And what does "concrete" countermeasures mean? That statement was made on Yonhap news via Seoul, SK

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
With all these threads about this same topic,
I'd a thought someone was watching where it was headed!
(and with what on board)

Thats the thread I'm waitin' for!
Hurry please, if its on the way...
uh ya.....got masks?

P.S. Absolutely nothing on the tele about it.......
Kinda like the asteroid near miss, we wont tell ya till your dead!

[edit on 4-4-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Obama to speak at 4am Eastern time about the launch

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
ANALYSTS VIEW-North Korea launches long-range rocket

March 5 (Reuters) - Here are some comments from analysts about North Korea's launch of a long-range missile on Sunday.

For full coverage of the missile crisis, click [nSP469853])

* JUN KATO, DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER, SHINKIN CENTRAL BANK, TOKYO

"Since the projectile has gone over Japan and there seems to be no damage to Japan, financial markets' reaction to North Korea's move is expected to be very limited.

"The recent trend of a firmer dollar is expected to continue. We cannot deny a possibility that the currency may find some support from political uncertainties but will be limited. Also a rally in Tokyo stocks will likely continue although they may show some correction due to recent rapid gains.

"But it remains to be seen how developments in international politics will impact on financial markets."

PARK JONG-KYU, ECONOMIST, KOREA INSTITUTE OF FINANCE, SEOUL

"The impact on financial markets will most likely be short-lived or negligible. When North Korea carried out the nuclear test several years ago, Seoul markets had fallen on the very day but recovered the next day. Based on the situation until now, it's not a market moving factor any more.

"Of course if the follow-up reaction from other countries and from North Korea leads to the complete destruction of the existing diplomatic negotiation regime toward North Korea, there could be some turmoil. But still, there will be no impact on the real-economic sectors because I don't think importers in foreign countries will cancel contracts because of this widely anticipated event."

KYOHEI MORITA, CHIEF JAPAN ECONOMIST, BARCLAYS CAPITAL, TOKYO

"It seems that there is no damage to Japan, so this event is neutral for financial markets and will not likely have any impact on the economy.

"The health of Kim Jong Il is more important in determining future relations between North Korea and Japan. There is talk that Kim's third son has been chosen as Kim's successor, but we really do not know much about him, so it is difficult for financial markets to factor this in.

"There was a loss of confidence in the Japanese government after the false warnings they issued, but the government has restored confidence with its quick response after the launch was confirmed."

SHUNJI HIRAIWA, SHIZUOKA PREFECTURAL UNIVERSITY

"For North Korea, this was an event they could not allow to fail ... They will stress that it was a success and try to use it in missile negotations with the United States as well as domestically."

WOW worry (or lack of) about the market & economy seems to be the #1 thought

link   
They're obviously going to use this to get us into war with NK...

link   
So they didn't shoot it down?

Hahahaha.

Sorry, but the US and Japan look pretty weak at the moment.

All this talk for weeks about how if it went anywhere near Japan it would be blown out of the sky.

All NK had to do was hint at a retaliatory response vs the South and the threats from the west crumble.

I'm against war more than most people, but to say one thing and do another on the world stage is pretty pathetic.

link   

The tanks are pretty much empty when they splash down, any of the fuel or oxidizer would be a drop in a very big bucket. It would dilute into nonexistence. The metal itself would sink to the bottom, be crushed, and cause minimal impact on the environment. Eventually the salt water would just eat it up and dilute it as well.

That is, if our ships out there don't go scoop it all up to study it first.

[edit on 4/5/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

Hahahaha.

I'm pretty sure they said it never went anywhere near Japan....

link   
I heard somewhere that NK has warheads ready or something(from another thread).If true they are probably just ready to defend themselves.This could be a tense situation coming up.Obama at 3 am eastern,really?

link   
Those old tanks will also give a good start for a reef formation. So it's not all bad.

From the wires:

Reuters: U.N. Security Council to hold consultations on North Korea missile launch at 1900 GMT Sunday

The US State Department says that they don't have any information yet about trajectory or type of missile launched.

[edit on 4/4/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Actually, several reports state it went straight over Japan.

The country fires a long-range rocket over Japan, provoking anger and defensive reactions.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
WOW worry (or lack of) about the market & economy seems to be the #1 thought

Exactly -
and what does that tell you about the real state of the species -
and the world...??

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
From what i heard Obama will be speaking from Prague at 4am eastern time. I wanna hear what he has to say. I dont think they will do anything about it then just some sactions. But i guess we will see.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

The tanks are pretty much empty when they splash down, any of the fuel or oxidizer would be a drop in a very big bucket. It would dilute into nonexistence. The metal itself would sink to the bottom, be crushed, and cease cause minimal impact on the environment. Eventually the salt water wold just eat it up and dilute it as well.

That is, if our ships out there don't go scoop it all up to study it first.

Well then that's a good thing.
And I suspect the ships will be out there scooping.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
Those old tanks will also give a good start for a reef formation. So it's not all bad.
[edit on 4/4/09 by redhatty]

Not all bad is good. Thanks.
A reef formation starter... interesting.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

reply to post by yellowcard

Actually, several reports state it went straight over Japan.

Cite it, because from what I've heard on the National News from commentators is that it did not go near Japan at all, and no article I've seen even mentions that it was "near" Japan.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Hahahaha.

All this talk for weeks about how if it went anywhere near Japan it would be blown out of the sky.

All NK had to do was hint at a retaliatory response vs the South and the threats from the west crumble.

I'm against war more than most people, but to say one thing and do another on the world stage is pretty pathetic.

How did they say one thing and do another? They've BEEN saying that they would ONLY shoot it down if it was going off course or appeared to be landing somewhere on Japan.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join