It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea missile launch may come in hours

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think it should be shot down only if it appears to be heading towards a country. If it's really just a satellite launch I see no reason why it should be shot down, and I disagree with those who say that it should be shot down because NK would sell that technology to other countries. What gives us the right to determine who can buy or sell weapons in other countries?

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Leto]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PowerSlave
Do you guys really think anything is going to happen with this? I don't really think this will amount to anything other than more fear mongering.

I think it could be very dangerous for MANY countries if this is a successful launch.

Even if N. Korea does nothing with it, they will have the ability to sell the technology to other countries that may be very interested in using a long range missile.

The fact that N Korea intends to launch the missile/rocket even after warnings and threats of sanctions means they DO NOT CARE what the rest of the world thinks nor do they care if they are the cause for an increase in hostilities in Asia.

Since when is monitoring a situation fear mongering?

If a country that is known to be hostile to your country launched a long range missile, wouldn't you want to know about when it happened or would you rather be oblivious and hear the news reports of damages, if any, later?

That is how Japan is feeling right now

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robert280
reply to post by redhatty

11 am-4 pm their time right? not 11 am our time zone?

Yes
That is a South Korea News Source, so it would be THEIR local time, not ours

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
What gives us the right to determine who can buy or sell weapons in other countries?

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Leto]

So are you saying that we should not try to prevent the sale of missile technology that can carry a nuclear payload to countries who we believe pose a threat to our national security?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

The only thing I think that could really come of this is a NK rocket failure that they try and blame on the US or Japan shooting it down other than that I don't think anyone has the balls to stand up to this fool even though UN resolutions say that he is not supposed to be doing this already.

The world will give him a real bad tongue lashing and send him to his room(NK).

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
What gives us the right to determine who can buy or sell weapons in other countries?

UN Security Council Resolutions that were imposed after an earlier exercise in 2006.

That 2006 missile was a failure after 40 seconds

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
That is how Japan is feeling right now

Well Japan and the US have said that they are not going to take the missile down any more - although Japan still says they might have to intercept the stages should they look like they are going to cause damage.... Not sure what good that would do tho, it will be coming down anyway - just an intercept would make the bits smaller.

I really think that disclosure that NK has preped the 2 medium missiles with nuke warheads made a lot of difference.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

If a country that is known to be hostile to your country launched a long range missile, wouldn't you want to know about when it happened or would you rather be oblivious and hear the news reports of damages, if any, later?

That's pretty accurate.

For the Americans, think about it like this:

Let's say Mexico decided to test-fire a long range missile. The projected path takes it across the Gulf of Mexico, over Florida, and out to sea. The first stage falls in the gulf, the rest in the Atlantic off the Florida coast.

Bearing in mind that Mexico is an ally and a friendly nation, how would Americans in general react to that action?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

NORTH Korea has switched on radar systems at its rocket base and a launch is imminent, Seoul's Yonhap news agency said today. The agency says the cover over the rocket's nose cone has been removed and radar systems to track its flight have been fully activated. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff refused to comment on the report.

source

Are there any web cams we could watch???

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Off WIRE

FLASH -- TOKYO -- JAPANESE GOVERNMENT: NORTH KOREA HAS LAUNCHED ROCKET

BULLETIN -- NHK SAY NORTH KOREAN ROCKET WAS LAUNCHED AT 11:32 JST

BULLETIN --- NO AIR DEFENSE ACTIVATION AT THIS MOMENT IN JAPAN

NHK says rocket flying toward east form the site launch, and may be a successful launch.

FLASH -- SEOUL -- SOUTH KOREAN GOVERNMENT CONFIRMS ROCKET LAUNCH

[edit on 4/4/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
is this right, it was launched? too early to tell?

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
sky news reporting..news.sky.com... rld_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15255929_North_Korea_Launches_Long-Range_Rocket%2C_Says_Japanese_Government

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Not a word of this on CNN...this is truly bizarre.

Keep up the good work fellow ATSers

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Getting a lot of missile launched reports from Twitter, and just heard Geraldo say on Fox News that a missile may have been launched.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
they just mentioned it on fox news. very briefly

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

They (CORRECTED: FOX) are planning to report it after the current commercial break - I'm sure Geraldo is thrilled about that.

Wires:

NHK says the North Korea rocket now moving over the Pacific Ocean.
Reuters: North Korea on Sunday launched a long-range rocket, South Korea's KBS TV said quoting a presidential Blue House official

Also

YONHAP News

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
CNN just came back from the break and nothing mentioned about North Korea. They continue to explore the reception Obama received from the Europeans.

WTF?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Night Watchman

They (CNN) are planning to report it after the current commercial break - I'm sure Geraldo is thrilled about that.

Wires:

NHK says the North Korea rocket now moving over the Pacific Ocean.

Just tuned into CNN before the commercial break was over and they decided not to report it.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So far so good. nothing negative

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Leto

Sorry corrected it in that post - it's FOX reporting it right now

Wires:

First stage of the North Korean rocket now falling over the Sea of Japan. Second stage to fall in the next minutes over the Pacific Ocean.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join