It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea missile launch may come in hours

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

N. Korean radars turned on ahead of rocket launch: source

By Sam Kim
SEOUL, April 5 (Yonhap) -- North Korea activated its radars Sunday as it apparently prepared to launch the vehicle that it says will carry a satellite, a South Korean source said.

"Once the radars are turned on, we can expect a launch very soon," the source told Yonhap News Agency, declining to specify when.

South Korea, the U.S. and Japan believe the rocket may be a disguised ballistic missile theoretically capable of hitting Alaska.

samkim@yna.co.kr

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Off the wires - no link

Reuters: North Korea has removed the cover from the top of a long-range rocket and started a radar needed to track its flight.

UPDATE:

Reuters

SEOUL, April 5 (Reuters) - North Korea has removed the cover from the top of a long-range rocket and started a radar needed to track its flight, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said on Sunday in an unsourced report, indicating a launch is imminent.

The United States, South Korea and Japan have said they would see the launch as a test of the North's Taepodong-2 missile, which is designed to fly as far as Alaska.

(Reporting by Jack Kim, Editing by Dean Yates)

[edit on 4/4/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Weather still looks good. 0 wind.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I hope this turns into a great big nothing burger

The alternative scares me too much

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'm keeping my eye on all the wire services. If anything happens you guys will be the first to know.

Fingers crossed it doesn't make it off the launchpad, and if it does, it plummets into the sea.

The world doesn't need more war.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well the weather is holding and if they get everything in place fast enough its a go. I just pray it fails and they can't start any wars over this.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have it!

I know what they are doing now in NK. The rocket launch isn't one rocket, but five!

Their purpose has been revealed!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The part that makes me so sad...

Is that nobody knows,
some do, but the majority of people have no idea its happening, or if they do, there clearly missing the implications...

This is probably one of the most worrying and imminent situations that have happened in a long time...

Like the poster above me said, I hope its just a nothing burger.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renshin
The part that makes me so sad...

Is that nobody knows,
some do, but the majority of people have no idea its happening, or if they do, there clearly missing the implications...

This is probably one of the most worrying and imminent situations that have happened in a long time...

Like the poster above me said, I hope its just a nothing burger.

Agreed, I have been telling my wife about this for several weeks and she seems to think it is no big deal. I have talked to other people about it as well and they don't care either.. it makes me sad too

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
South Korea apparently isn't too happy about this either - from the Reuters wire

South Korea calls emergency security council meeting on NKorea rocket, spokeswoman says.

New Reuters article

and another, longer Reuters article

[edit on 4/4/09 by redhatty]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I wonder if Kimmy will send up his mig-23's to protect the launch?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
you know its sad, i just got home from out running, checked the threads saw this one was active (been following it and others since the begining) and i fliped on the tv to see what the news was saying about it... CNN and MSN had dickbus , Cnn gave the misle a whole 5 second sound bite..

The members of this site should be proud of them self, once again the important news shows up here way before the MSM gives any hint that things are going on. Kudo's to everyone , sad for the general population but then again, most of them are in a bilss anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Do you guys really think anything is going to happen with this? I don't really think this will amount to anything other than more fear mongering.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
okay here's a link to S Korea's Emergency meeting

Seoul calls NSC meeting ahead of imminent launch

SEOUL, April 5 -- South Korea's presidential office convened a National Security Council (NSC) meeting Sunday amid suspicions North Korea will soon launch what it claims is a satellite, officials said.

The meeting partly confirmed the imminent launch of the North Korean rocket as the presidential office earlier said the NSC will be convened only after an actual launch.

"An emergency NSC meeting has been called to begin at 11 a.m.," an official at the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae said.

North Korea has said it will launch the satellite between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. from Saturday to Wednesday.

bdk@yna.co.kr
(END)

link   
reply to post by JWash

Why? It's out of range of any aircraft within about 30 seconds of launch. And the MiGs couldn't do a damn thing against an SM-3 even if they wanted to. All the ships have to do is pull back out of range of any MiG, to where they don't have enough fuel to get back.

link   

Originally posted by severdsoul

The members of this site should be proud of them self, once again the important news shows up here way before the MSM gives any hint that things are going on. Kudo's to everyone , sad for the general population but then again, most of them are in a bilss anyway.

I do find the MSM silence on this to be strange. Usually,if anything, they sensationalize this type of potential event. Where are the worried looking (though clearly clueless) anchor person asking the endless parade of "experts," about the possible implications of this launch?

Very, very strange.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

well there is a missle

theres a launch pad

theres armed forces waiting to decide to shoot it down

theres more here than mongering

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
depends, as bad as NK is at rockets, if it has a malfunction and heads twords another country, all bets are off. They will have to shoot it down to save their people, which lil kim will interpet as a act of war and who knows...
there are to many variables in this to predict the outcome

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

11 am-4 pm their time right? not 11 am our time zone?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Why would he put them on standby near the launch?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join