It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owners abandon vehicles in America's waterways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

“Our waters have become dumping grounds,” said Maj. Paul R. Ouellette of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. “It’s got to the point where something has to be done.”

The owners cannot sell them, because the secondhand market is overwhelmed

...Todd Schwede, an insurance investigator in San Diego, said the number of suspicious cases he was handling had roughly tripled in the last year, to around 70.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Interesting article - but you really ought to change the title from vehicles to boats or watercraft. It's a tad misleading.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
i wonder if the 'salvage laws' apply for a derelict boat'

or does one have to secure the boat,
then report finding it,
then wait up to a year
...for anyone claiming the property (like the former owner/ like the lender who has an automatic 'Lien' on the boat(boat-loan)

to my sensibility... it ain't worth the hassle
unless its a 50+ ft Yacht or Sailboat that's been 'abandoned'
now something like that would be worth my time & effort to salvage/or rescue from harm

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

to my sensibility... it ain't worth the hassle
unless its a 50+ ft Yacht or Sailboat that's been 'abandoned'
now something like that would be worth my time & effort to salvage/or rescue from harm

Funny, I'm the opposite.

I'd be wary of even a 50 footer if it's been abandoned in salt and taken on any amount of water to the cabin.You're basically looking at a 50 foot shell full of water-logged crap with no salvage value. A full cabin refit, likely damage to electrical system, hull damage... plus crane fees and a cradle to set it in while you get your work done... forget it.

A sub-30 footer can be re-fitted for a lot less cash, giving you (a) a lot more fun in the short term and (b) a better return on your investment if and when the market ever returns.

new topics

top topics

join