It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Market Value for NFL Players

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is a concept that boggles my mind. The NFL is a bit of a rarity in the fact that they can end contracts whenever they choose. It promotes a self-centered approach to the game where players play for the name on the back, not the one on the front. But in a game where injuries are so prevalent and careers are short, one would be tough to fault someone for trying to provide for their family within the short career they may be offered.

But it is the market value of players that changes so drastically that blows my mind.

Three big named players to be moved this off-season.

• Terrell Owens
  • Jay Cutler
  • Plaxico Burress

The Cowboys decided they would rather do without Owens this season. They didn't want to trade him and get anything in return, no they chose to just release him. The same with the Giants. Two of the elite receivers in the game, released from their respected teams without so much as receiving a draft pick in return. Now the Broncos traded Cutler and received a quarterback, 2 first round draft picks and a 3rd round draft pick.

If you were to list those three names and say you would have any one of them, a lot of teams would be choosing either Burress or Owens. Yet their teams received no compensation for them and the Broncos got Kyle Orton, 2 first round draft picks and a 3rd round draft pick.

What is the line of thought behind the releasing of Owens & Burress, rather than trading? Granted the salary and egos are cut from the dressing room, but get something in return.

• posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:22 PM
    link   
    Age has a lot to do with it. There's a premium on proven young talent in the NFL. Owens is 35. Cutler is 25. It's reasonable to expect another 7 quality seasons out of Cutler, but not for Owens. It'd be a mistake to trade away draft picks that can bring in young cheap talent for an aging veteran.

Burress's legal issues make him practically untradeable.

Anquan Boldin has yet to be traded, and he most certainly will not be released. He's a young pro-bowl wide receiver who wants to be traded. If he gets traded, he'll likely get the Cardinals a premium package of picks just like Cutler did for Denver.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:50 PM
    link   
    reply to post by ThePiemaker

Boldin's character shines through when the seconds are ticking off of the clock for a huge post-season victory and your on the sidelines fighting with a coach.

TO is on the downslope of his career, but he's not worth a draft pick?

Numbers speak for themselves and I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't have been a team in the league willing to part with a pick or two in order to scoop up a huge deep threat on the outside.

Burress' legal situation does pose a major problem, but when Adam "Pacman" Jones can find a home, I find it a stretch to think that Burress won't. In a year or two, I'd be surprised if a team hasn't taken a leap of faith on Michael Vick.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:18 PM
    link   
    The Cowboys did try and move TO, and from what they are reporting, no one was interested. They did handle it much more under the table.

I would be interested to know if the people in Denver are glad to be rid of Jay Cutler, or do they hold the new coach, who has yet to do anything, responsible?

Legal issues along with a bad attitude will do just about any player in these days, no matter how great they are.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:32 PM
    link   
    Owens is pure poison to a team. If I were an owner, somebody would have to pay me quite a bit to take him and I'd muzzle him.

I hope/think things might work out for Cutler. I probably wouldn't put my chips on him but he's a viable bet.

Plax has always been a pain in the *** although much more tolerable than TO. It's why the Steelers let him go, they just don't suffer goofballs and I'd say the record there speaks for itself.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:38 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

Warner was yelling at the same coach during the game. Speaking of Warner, he offered to take less money if the Cardinals were to give Boldin a new deal, I don't think that's something someone does for a lousy teammate. You didn't see Donovan McNabb looking to give up some of his money so Owens could get his deal re-done.

Owens is too old and brings too much baggage for any team to give up anything of significance for him. Plus, the rumors were floating out there that the Cowboys would release him. You don't need to trade for a guy that might be released. Cutler on the other hand was not going to get released.

But I do agree that there's no way you trade that many picks for a player like Cutler. And Kyle Orton isn't a bad QB either, they threw him into the package like he's some scrub. With the type of receivers the Broncos have compared to the Bears I would not be surprised to see Orton outperform Cutler this year. But that's the type of premium that franchise QB's have. The Bears hope he can be their Quarterback for the decade. and teams with franchise QB's tend to have success. Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Eagles(to a lesser degree), those teams have franchise QB's and have been consistently in the playoffs and have won 6 super bowls this decade. If you go back to the 90's, you have Elway, Aikman, Young, Favre, Kelly. 80's, Montana.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:40 AM
    link   
    None of it makes much sense.

Teams in every professional sporting leagues butt-heads with their players. Cutler is an elite athlete and shows potential to be a top-tiered quarterback in the league. It seemed that no effort was made to repair the fractured relationship. I believe this all came from the new coach making a public pitch for the team to land Cassell from the Patriots. If so, a lot of mismanagement happening here.

The picks they received in return are going to be big. 2 picks in each of the upcoming first rounds will do a lot to bolster their line-up in a couple years. But not this year. I don't believe Orton will out perform Cutler. I think both will have mediocre years at best and the success of their teams will reflect that.

new topics

top topics

join