It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 is a joke

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hi everybody,

Just voicing my concern over all this 2012 business that a lot of people seem to be worrying about. I first came across the subject about 12 years ago when my farther introduced me to some Mayan mythology, since then I have watched this date snowball out of control into something of an embarrassment.

Which is it going to be?

Alien Invasion
Comet
Planet x
Spiritual evolution
Solar Flair
Polar shift
Super Volcanoe
Black hole

blah blah blah.

In reality 2012 is only a date taken from one civilization - ONE - out of the hundreds of civililizations throughout history that created their own calenders everybody just got up and said hey lets take the Mayan one seriously, WHY?

Most of us have mobile phones with calenders built into them, these calenders have a start date and due to storage limitations they also have a built in end date - say 3000 AD.

Now imagine in 990 years time somebody find one of these phones and somehow gets it to work (long shot lol) do you think everybody will go ooooo the earth is going to end in a few years because this antiquated calender from an antiquated civilization stops! It just seems ridiculous. It all just the emperors new clothes on a massive scale.

I wouldn't be surprised if something bad does happen. Not because of the Mayan end date but because everybody is desperate and expecting it to happen, people are obsessed with this date.

Why not the Egyptian calender or any other calender for that matter?

Cheers

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I absolutly agree with you people are spiraling out of control over this date.Alot of people also doesn't realize that this calander does not end it resets to 13 ban ktu(spelling).A several k meteorite could hit at any minute and cause a mass extinction.It does not have to be a special day for something terrible to happen.Of course this calander resets on dec.21 2012 evrything they believed in had to do with the skies.It is the day of the winter solstice which is always on the 21st or 22nd and its the precession of equinoxes.The mayans had several calanders short and long count.I also agree with you it's going to be chaotic masses who are determined that something will happen that actually causes something.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by el.rebelde
Just voicing my concern over all this 2012 business that a lot of people seem to be worrying about.

You actually kinda answered your question with your first sentence.

Who really knows if anything is going to happen on that date.

One thing is for sure though, a lot of people are going to make a lot of money out of it. 2012 has become as much a business as UFOs or the paranormal.

However in the process, we learn about ancient civilizations, discover our hidden history, and have interesting discussions.

Some might choose to panic as the day draws near, a lot of them will be people who haven't sold all their books.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Lol agreed,

I think that all of the people the write these books and spread this fear or false hope (depending on which side of the 2012 fence they sit) should pay their money back to the people that purchased their books. Yea right, dream on!

It's sad that it has become a huge money making scheme, when I first read about it it was actually interesting history, now it just makes me cringe.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
well for sure its the Galactic Alignment..

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Your forgetting that they were highly advanced in astronomy and have the most advanced and accurate calendar to date

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by el.rebelde

You make an excellent observation there good job.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Its not just one culture/civilisation that has 2012 as a date to note.

* Hopi Predict a 25yr period of purification followed by End of Fourth World and beginning of the Fifth.
* Mayans Call it the 'end days' or the end of time as we know it.
* Maoris Say that as the veils dissolve there will be a merging of the physical & spiritual worlds.
* Zulu Believe that the whole world will be turned upside down.
* Hindus Kali Yuga (end time of man). The Coming of Kalki & critical mass of Enlightened Ones.
* Incas Call it the 'Age of Meeting Ourselves Again'.
* Aztec Call this the Time of the Sixth Sun. A time of transformation. Creation of new race.
* Dogon Say that the spaceship of the visitors, the Nommo, will return in the form of a blue star
* Pueblo Acknowledge it'll be the emergence into the Fifth World
* Cherokee Their ancient calendar ends exactly at 2012 as does the Mayan calendar.
* Tibetan Kalachakra teachings are prophesies left by Buddha predicting Coming of the Golden Age.
* Egypt According to the Great Pyramid (stone calendar), present time cycle ends in year 2012 AD

I am currently writing up a document that takes 1000's of hours of research and makes a clear picture in my mind. It does make a sort of sense.

2012 is a date we should be aware of for some reason.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I often find that the People who make these threads are the people most scared or confused themselves as to what will happen.

IMHO i do think something will occur, maybe not aliens landing or NWO starting but for sure we are gonna be going through the center of the galaxy, the dark rift so to speak so maybe alot of the stuff surrounding 2012 is BS, there is a certainty with the centre of the galaxy thing so i guess 2012 isnt a joke but an experience that i would like to go through be it good or bad.

2 cents

SD

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeyD

I agree that some people may be scared and in denial, however I am not one of those people. I see no reason at all to be scared, I simply don't believe (and I believe a lot of 'crazy' things.

A previous poster listed a whole bunch of societies that they believe predict the same date - I think this is more putting square pegs into round holes.

Why would I be in a state of denial, there is no evidence. I would suggest that more people are not happy with there lives and need some kind of 'event' to take place as a fulfillment of destiny.

Yes it could happen, something could happen any day. Is there any solid evidence NO.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have a ticket to the Ride.

2012 writings fill me with wonder, hope, fear -- All the facets of a good RIDE. Let the eclectic times roll.

p.s. I REALLY don't want to be in a position to kickstart the new geneology. It's really a job for a younger person, and preferably a couple who deeply desire offspring.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Anybody care to make a list of all the cultures in the history of man that don't have something ending in 2012?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by borachon

OK I shouldn't really do this because I have not done the research. I know a bunch of people will flame me because it may contradict there opinions. Sorry I post in ignorance. To the point:

I suspect a large amount of the research that points towards all these cultures 'warning' us of 2012 is subjective. I realize that some of the authors are genuine and objective but a lot of them have an agenda (cash in on 2012) they then do as much maths as possible to make the numbers fit to 2012.

How many of these people that sell books or preach on the topic actually trained in their subject matter.

I know their are academic works on the subject but they are mostly objective and do not wholesale push the 'end of days' argument any more that theologians push the revelation (insert religion cataclysm here)

cheers

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
2012 was not predicted by ONE culture thousands of years ago. Its been predicted by modern people like Terence Mckenna and Edgar Cayce as well as the incas, hopi indians and native americans.

The exact date of 2012 is not said by every culture, but youll find in every bible and every prophecy ever prophesized that there will be a time of great change in our near future. They are all practically saying the same things from all different cultures from all parts of the world. Not really doomsday, no one ever even used the word doom, but some sort of event of great spiritual importance is said to take place.

I think its very obvious that right now we are going through great change. You can experience this change right now. No one really knows for sure what is going to happen when the sh
t hits the fan, but I look to the prophecies and the tales of enlightenment for reassurance.

I also doubt you have researched this topic enough.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Wisen Heimer]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
A lot of the doom and gloom stuff is not suppose to occur exactly at 211212. It's just things which might occur because we currently are (as the Mayas say) in the time 'in-between'. This is a time when the world
'prepares'- but the peak wont come before 211212.

According to the Maya people, 211212 is the end of the fourth sun and the beginning of the fifth sun. A new era. Now there's a lot of coincidences which occur around this time too. Both facts, predictions and rumors.

Neverthleless it's a very interesting time. I urge you to keep an open mind about it.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If 2012 come's and goes without a hitch then alot of people on this board are going to have to go back to talking about UFO's, bigfoot and the loch ness monster and other such things that can't be proven only debated ,I'm personelly waiting for 2012. In my opinion it's the last big mystery, the Mayan calender and all that. The one thing that has a due date.Bring it on, life's boring so far.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Just something interesting to ponder........

latinola.com...

What we do know is that it wouldn't hurt to listen to the words of Don Alejandro who said that on Dec. 20, 2012, Mother Earth will pass inside the center of a magnetic axis and that it may be darkened with a great cloud for 60 to 70 hours and that because of environmental degradation, she may not be strong enough to survive the effects. "It will enter another age, but when it does, there will be great and serious events. Earthquakes, maremotos (tsunamis), floods, volcanic eruptions and great illness on the planet Earth. Few survivors will be left."

And from Revelations 6

12I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, 13and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. 14The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

Now sure this might be a bit of a stretch but,

Mayan elder suggesting that in 2012 things may go dark for a few days and then followed by natural disasters and a new age

Bible prophecy says the sun will turn black (i guess it will be dark?) and this will be followed by natural disasters. The battle of armageddon and then a new age.....

Now the bible does not mention a date obviously but.... its interesting as a match none the less.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The only thing which will occur is the galactic alignment or whatever, where the sun aligns with the center of the milky way I believe.

Yes it's a rare event only happening 21,000 years or so, but that's it. Nothing more.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

But thats it? Nothing more? So you too claim to know the future?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wisen Heimer

2012 was not predicted by ONE culture thousands of years ago. Its been predicted by modern people like Terence Mckenna and Edgar Cayce as well as the incas, hopi indians and native americans.

For me I don't think the predictions of Terence Mckenna or Edgar Cayce stand as a strong basis for belief.

As for all civilizations having an end time or period of great change, this can be put down to a form of control to keep people scared of their deity. It stands to reason that eventually something will happen to the earth that will course a great change. I just wish people wouldn't make such a big deal about one date - kind of putting all your eggs in one basket.

Incidentally I have done some research but Yes you right, probably not enough to make a sound argument. If there is a major event in 2012 from what little I know about sun cycles I believe it is likely to be a major solar flair. It is not beyond reason that an ancient civilization could have predicted major flair cycles and I believe the 5th re-newel would be bough in by fire or something like that.

However I have my reservations.

Thanks for all the posts!

[edit on 4-4-2009 by el.rebelde]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join