It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with these numbers? 12/21/12??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Numerology has always been meaningful to me. I see 11:11's, 9:11's, and 11:22's on the clock. I think there is a fairly simple arithmetic behind the way the universe works. Subtraction and addition are the most basic forms of math. I could understand why you would say we were messing around with it until it fits if it was some kind of long equation like Pi times x squared plus 1.439823 equals the square root of a disaster date over 7, but this is simple subtraction. It fits perfectly, without any effort to make it fit. I told people about that at my school today and everyone is freaking out.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by InsaneInsurgent11

Actually, there isn't a simple arithmetic behind the universe. Check out any physics book to see that even the simplest of things are not addition and subtraction. The reason that many people were hired by kings was to determine how things worked. The answers were not simple issues. Had they been it would not have taken someone like an Aristotle to work them out.

The layout of the solar system is controlled by gravity which has an inverse squared law.

People "freaking out" does not lend support for or against an idea. It might goad you to continue to work on a project.

Have you looked up the word apophenia? It might be of interest to you.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by InsaneInsurgent11

We all see those numbers though.
Odds are, you have seen 2:34 or some other mundane time of day more often than 9:11. You just don't put any significance to the other numbers. When you see 11:11 you think "hey that's weird". Actually it isn't at all. It happens everyday. There are 24 hours in a day and 60 minutes within each of those hours. Let us pretend that 4:28 is somehow significant......... Now over the next 5 months let us see how many times we see it and realize that no pair/set or group of numbers are special. It's just that YOU are adding meaning to them. I suppose they're special in that regard.

Isn't is just possible that you're more inclined to look at a clock @ or around 11 each day?
edit on 15-3-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I didnt want to make a thread with this in case someone else already done it but

USA lost many lives on 9-11-01
Now, Japan has lost more lives on 3-10-11
Add the 2 dates together and you'll get 12-21-12

The numbers keep on coming

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

The numbers keep on coming? I don't get it. Seriously, I don't get it unless you are looking for coincidences.

Are we going to overlook 12/26/04? Are we going to overlook 230,000 people dead because it doesn't fit some ill conceived notion?

Are we going to overlook 1/12/10? Over 300,000 people died.

What about 3/11/04?
What about some of these dates?
1/28/08
2/21/08
5/3/08
5/12/08
6/21/08
7/24/08
10/29/08

The list can go on and on and on and where do the numbers keep coming on? Like I said I don't get it.
edit on 15-3-2011 by stereologist because: Forgot the largest disaster this century - emabarrassing

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I dont look for coincidences.I just think that so many things in the last couple of years are a bit fishy and when you see numbers that add up several times with several occurances then some of us can only think 'weird' and something is going on.

I for one do think something will happen on 12.21.12 and this is why I posted what I posted and IMO alot more disasters will happen before that date.You dont have to be a prophet to know that.

In A.D. 354–430 St. Augustine of Hippo wrote "Numbers are the Universal language offered by the deity to humans as confirmation of the truth."

Numerology has been around for yearss,maybe its about time humans got smarter and figured it out,putting numbers together and coming up with either a theory or an answer or even a clue,theres signs everywhere.People dont have to 'look' for coincidences because they are just everywhere these days.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Alienmindflare because: Adding numerology bit

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

USA lost many lives on 9-11-01
Now, Japan has lost more lives on 3-10-11
Add the 2 dates together and you'll get 12-21-12

This is what you posted. It is a rather contrived coincidence because it requires overlooking two intermediate events of even greater death and destruction.

There will be more disasters before the end of 2012? Absolutely. Look at all of the dates I posted for 2008. That was barely scratching the surface. Disasters happen all of the time. I didn't even list one of America's horrors when Katrina came ashore.

In A.D. 354–430 St. Augustine of Hippo wrote "Numbers are the Universal language offered by the deity to humans as confirmation of the truth."

Does that cover abuse as well? Numerology may have been around a long time, but that is only because people can be easily duped by pointless arithmetic.

People dont have to 'look' for coincidences because they are just everywhere these days.

Numerology is the tool of con men and frauds. It involves meaningless operations meant to lure in the less educated. It is the tool of a Madoff or Ponzi.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
One person's Apophenia is another's Synchronicity.

Yes you are assigning your own meaning to the numbers - that's the point. We do that for everything in our lives. I for one think the OP is onto a meaningful connection, because it is meaningful for the OP. No-one can take that away from you.

Scientists say that's delusional and insignificant and that we must design this out of our experiments and our thinking. See the Wikipedia definition for Apophenia :

Apophenia is the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad,[1] who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness." In statistics, apophenia would be classed as a type I error (false positive, false alarm, caused by an excess in sensitivity).[citation needed] Conrad originally described this phenomenon in relation to the distortion of reality present in psychosis, but it has become more widely used to describe this tendency in healthy individuals without necessarily implying the presence of neurological differences or mental illness. In 2008 Michael Shermer coined the word 'patternicity', defining it as "the tendency to find meaningful patterns in meaningless noise."

So they make the assumption that the data is random and meaningless. Even if they specifically generated it to be random (if that's even possible) does not mean it was meaningless. That is an assumption based on the current generalised belief of science, which is that random data can't/doesn't contain meaningful connections.

They then use this assumption to discredit the idea that there may in fact be patterns in the randomness that are meaningful - which is a belief that calls into question the very assumption (Circular logic). Instead of rethinking the assumption, they just "design out" this incongruence as described in the sentence about statistics. Through methods such as eliminating outliers and "false positives" (which could actually be true positives and indicate your hypothesis is wrong). There are equivalent methods in all of the sciences based on similar ideas (e.g. Placebo effect).

Compare that to Jung's idea of Synchronicity:

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung in the 1920s.[1]

The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning. Since meaning is a complex mental construction, subject to conscious and unconscious influence, not every correlation in the grouping of events by meaning needs to have an explanation in terms of cause and effect.

So in this case, we have September 11 and a Japanese Earthquake. Apparently causally unrelated (They may be if you believe some of the theories). However they are linked in meaning in this case through the dates as they relate to 2012 and also since they are horrific events, both caused massive loss of life, both were propelled into the global consciousness almost the moment they happened and both have and will have large effects on the global consciousness and our daily lives.

Which way you see it is your personal choice. I tend towards synchronicity.

Thanks for the post OP - it may not be significant but it is definately weird.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ansiroth
Just keep in mind that the December 21st date wasnt picked because of numerology, its the gregorian translation of the last day of the mayan long count calander, that day is 13.0.0.0.0.0 in their calander, or also 0.0.0.0.0.1, It only happends to be 12/21/12 or 12/21/2012.

13 means death/rebirth, 12 is the duality ying and yang (experience) 21 is experiencing reverse duality.
This means going from from past to future and hitting a forcefield which forces you to go from future to past untill you realise IT.
This is basically the bardo state mentioned in the tibetan book of the dead.
When you completed the cycle you begin the next one reborn.

11 is a warning sign for ones self that the end of a cycle is coming,when it hits 12 it is full circle and 13 rebirth and 1 becomes 11 and the clock begins again untill 12,13. and now its 111 which is 3 on on even bigger clock and so on to infinity,

These are signs/signals that the god consciousness gives through humans unconsiously.Every little thing we have done together as humans from the beginning of our existence has been for the goal of connecting us with the higher selves.9-11-01 was a warning sign as is 11-3-11 (duality and reverse duality) , but the collective doesnt realise yet.
The end and the new beginning are near people,

And we the people on ATS are the front pioneers of waking ourselves up by communicating with each other and so connecting to our higher selves. This is it, this is why we we excist, all our ancestors had to go through hardship and suffering for us to get here and get to the finish line, we are them, they are us we are all 1.
This is what life is about, learning to understand who we are. We have to keep communicating this is essential.

This is happening in 7 realities at once on multiple levels and we are all connected with these too but we don`t realise yet..

Everyone has a role to play so look inside to know what yours is.

See you at the finish line...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cecilofs

So they make the assumption that the data is random and meaningless. Even if they specifically generated it to be random (if that's even possible) does not mean it was meaningless. That is an assumption based on the current generalised belief of science, which is that random data can't/doesn't contain meaningful connections.

This really boils down to what is meant by random. There are many types of random. As Moran pointed out in an introduction to his book on stochastic geometry how you define random can give 3 distinct answers to a problem: 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2. Is it possible to generate random data? Sure. There are lots of ways depending on how random is defined. Is random meaningless? Sure if that is the definition used. You claim it is an assumption. Wrong. It is a definition. You define what is meaning and then it is possible to generate data which has 0 meaning.

They then use this assumption to discredit the idea that there may in fact be patterns in the randomness that are meaningful - which is a belief that calls into question the very assumption (Circular logic).

You are looking at the problem incorrectly. Tell us what you mean by "meaning" and then it is possible to generate a data set without "meaning." What you are attempting to do is to claim meaning after the fact. You have to keep moving the goal posts to do that.

So in this case, we have September 11 and a Japanese Earthquake. Apparently causally unrelated (They may be if you believe some of the theories). However they are linked in meaning in this case through the dates as they relate to 2012 and also since they are horrific events, both caused massive loss of life, both were propelled into the global consciousness almost the moment they happened and both have and will have large effects on the global consciousness and our daily lives.

You may think that you have given justification for seeing meaning in cherry picking a few dates and overlooking much greater events to show a relationship. You have not. All you've done is justify my claim that this is nothing more than apophenia.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Senser

You are picking and choosing from whatever sources to construct a collection of numerology that is as meaningless as anything in numerology.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Senser

You are picking and choosing from whatever sources to construct a collection of numerology that is as meaningless as anything in numerology.

Not meaningless as anything, merely meaningless to you, which doesnt take muich.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Senser

Not meaningless as anything, merely meaningless to you, which doesnt take muich.

You are right that I do not see meaning where there is none. Only the delusional see meaning in this.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CecilofsYes you are assigning your own meaning to the numbers - that's the point. We do that for everything in our lives. I for one think the OP is onto a meaningful connection, because it is meaningful for the OP. No-one can take that away from you.

That was the most important part of my post. The part you left out of course.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Cecilofs

You are not right. I did not leave out the part that states that seeing things where nothing exists is delusional.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join