It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conflicker/cyber security

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I imagine this has been posted already, but in a quick search I couldnt find a thread on it, which tells me that there are a lot of people out there unaware of what is going on here.

We have all heard of Conflicker C, and it's April 1st "re-activiation"(My personal comp got hit, so I know it's real). Well, as I posted in another thread concerning the worm, check out the legislation being proposed and the timing of the proposal:
Well, my comp got hit on the first.

The author of the legislation?? John D. Rockefeller

www.eweek.com...

Maybe someone has already posted this, if not, it's a must see. Those that are like me that do not believe in coincidence will find the timing of all of this VERY disturbing.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I thought the virus was a miss and that it was searching 50,000 sites to figure out what to do?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NateNute
I thought the virus was a miss and that it was searching 50,000 sites to figure out what to do?

As of april 1st my computer has sent out over 300 emails to unknown domains. It has transferred over 600 mbs of info, and has blocked the use of all search engines and security sights.

It may be a "miss" so to speak, but it absolutely exists, and is absolutely doing SOMETHING.

[edit on 4/3/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hmm..I'd shut that computer off if I was you. That's a lot of information.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What I think, is that this was created by people in league with Biden and other such pro-regulation people, so that they can say, "see?! if we could just control your internet connection more, you would never have to deal with things like this again!"

Watch, friends. You just watch.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NateNute
Hmm..I'd shut that computer off if I was you. That's a lot of information.

That computer has been disconnected and will be wiped this evening. Unfortunately I was not able to get to it earlier, as a lot of the so called "conflicker C Fixes" do not work as claimed.

I have tried four different ones now, and its still there, shutting off security on my comp at around 5 a.m. every morning, and sending emails at 3 am. Now, had macafee, norton, and microsoft not claimed that their software would absolutely take care of the worm, I would have disconnected earlier. You cant, however, download the software without being connected.

So basically anyone infected is cornered into being online.

Let me be the first to say:

IF YOU GET THIS VIRUS, DO NOT RUN THE SOFTWARE THAT CLAIMS TO TAKE CARE OF IT. WIPE YOUR DRIVE. OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE LEFT VULNERABLE!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Starred. The ONLY way to be sure you've gotten rid of the virus is to reinstall your operating system. There is no tool, no AV out there, that can completely remove it. You MUST reinstall if you want to be safe. Then you MUST use common sense, and stop using IE. Use Opera, or Firefox, or any other browser that you can get an adblocker, a flash blocker, and other protection onto. And then get some Common Sense.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

Starred. The ONLY way to be sure you've gotten rid of the virus is to reinstall your operating system. There is no tool, no AV out there, that can completely remove it. You MUST reinstall if you want to be safe. Then you MUST use common sense, and stop using IE. Use Opera, or Firefox, or any other browser that you can get an adblocker, a flash blocker, and other protection onto. And then get some Common Sense.

So true. Unfortunately my 16 and 13 year old nieces have access to the system, which is where I got infected.

Be warry of myspace people, I am almost certain that is where my comp got infected.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Make them accounts, install firefox, and load it up with addons that will stop them from infecting you. Then make their accounts limited. Then hide all traces of IE. Voila, a safe computer.

For you, I'd install greasemonkey and stylish on their firefox accounts, and install their scripts for getting rid of myspace/facebook adverts. Then get adblock plus and flashblock, and manually block and adverts that are still visible. Tell them they're not allowed to change any of the settings.

Here are some good ones.
userscripts.org...
userscripts.org...
userscripts.org...

[edit on 3-4-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This is a helpful link and tool to help determine if you're infected by conflicker. Since conflicker is known to block access to over 100 anti-virus and security websites this guy built a simple page remote linking images from various antivirus sites so if you can see them all ok you're probably not infected

www.confickerworkinggroup.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

Make them accounts, install firefox, and load it up with addons that will stop them from infecting you. Then make their accounts limited. Then hide all traces of IE. Voila, a safe computer.

For you, I'd install greasemonkey and stylish on their firefox accounts, and install their scripts for getting rid of myspace/facebook adverts. Then get adblock plus and flashblock, and manually block and adverts that are still visible. Tell them they're not allowed to change any of the settings.

Here are some good ones.
userscripts.org...
userscripts.org...
userscripts.org...

[edit on 3-4-2009 by sadisticwoman]

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of biting the bullet and just switching to an apple, but either way, You've given me some fantastic infrmation and I really appreciate it.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Macs are coming to be no more safe than Windows. If you want real security, bite the bullet and switch to Linux.

No matter what you do, there are viruses and worms out there that can infect you. You'll still need to learn common sense. Don't waste 3000 dollars on a computer just to give yourself a false sense of security, especially when you can download a free linux distro and at least have that sense of security be LESS false.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
May be a little late for this advise but I use Kaspersky antivirus and have had good luck so far. Never heard of it until I went to find something to replace Trend Micro(came with computer). Was not impressed with Trend or Norton but Kaspersky is pretty agressive,I believe it is in the top five rated antivirus software.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

It's also the most resource-heavy of the three. You can do better and feel safer with a free AV and common sense. You'll spend less, too.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Bad advise. If he can't secure a Windows computer, there's no way in hell he'd be able to secure a Linux system. Linux can be a lot more secure, partially because it's far and away more customizable. However, if you don't know how to really work with the OS, you're going to leave your backside wide open to all sorts of attacks even basic Windows protections guard against.

To a degree, running Linux will make you more vulnerable to hackers. Windows systems are too common - they expect idiots to be running windows. You blend into the crowd, and if you get hit MS users usually just end up the butt of random pranks or newbie hackers cutting their teeth. Linux though... they assume you know what you're doing, and you're more likely to be hit for the challenge factor. If you don't, they'll know immediately - and teach you a lesson for having the audacity to run a "pro" OS like Linux. At least, that's been my experience with hackers I know.

Linux is for the people who KNOW how to lock down their Windows systems, yet still find the vulnerabilities they have no control over too much of a security risk.

If you're going to switch to a Linux system, I would suggest dipping your toes in first. Partition off a small section of your HDD and install Linux as a dual-boot. Tinker with it. Play with it. Figure it out. Once you're comfortable, then switch over fully to a Linux system - perhaps with a Windows install so that you still have access to programs which are MS only without having to use a Windows Emulator.

In the mean time, take the advice the above poster offered. However, I would suggest ditching Norton and McAffee. I've never known anyone to have any real luck with them. Uninstall those and switch to AVG or Kaspersky. Either one are really good. Get two Spyware scanners - one to run in the background constantly and one to run occasionally. I would suggest Ad-Aware and Spyware Doctor. Spyware doctor is one of the best anti-spyware/malware scanners out there - but it's free version doesn't remove threats. Buy it, and run it constantly. Run Ad-Aware once a week.

Also, you might want to check out HijackThis.

You might also consider getting a good firewall program. I've been using ZoneAlarm - but it can have a few... frustrations. If you do a lot of home networking, you'll probably want to set a static IP on your devices and learn how to port forward.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

The fact of the matter, though, is that if you're going to switch, you're better off switching to Linux than Mac. Why? Because Macs make you think you can click any old thing and be totally fine for it- which is not true. It aids in stupidity and you'll never learn how to keep yourself secure.

It's better to be forced to learn than to be lulled into complacency by a false sense of security.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Can anybody post anything technical about the Cornficker virus. Is it a rootkit? I'm not a real techie but I'm not shy about following manual instructions for getting things out of the registry etc.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Can anybody post anything technical about the Cornficker virus. Is it a rootkit? I'm not a real techie but I'm not shy about following manual instructions for getting things out of the registry etc.

If you go to macafees sight you can get a great description and tech details about all 3 generations of the virus. You cannot get rid of it without wiping, though.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the links guys. I think I may have stepped into that cowpie last night on my laptop. Fortunately I don't use that computer for email.

I was on a page about the Cornficker virus that had some links to solutions for it which were kind of greyed over by some kind of what looked to be another dialogue, obscuring the text I was trying to read. I could still click on the links beneath the translucent dialogue box but the links didn't work. I think I was actually clicking on the dialogue box itself and being poisoned by the virus. I didn't notice any change in my computer but thought I should exercise caution and try to find out what was going on.

I've taken the computer off the web but now I want to examine it looking for evidence of the virus.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join