It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: Hostages held after 'multiple' shootings Binghamton, New York

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

CNN is reporting shooter is dead. Affiliate is reporting this to them now.

EDIT: Update. Scan America channel for Broome Country has police reporting they are switching back over to regular channel operations now.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
UPDATE SO FAR:

Gun man thought to have been killed,
2 arrested may have just fitted description,
Hostage situation thought to now be over,
Police going room by room to access the scene,

News conference in just over an hour

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
-Schools no longer in lock down
-Police radio traffic returning to normal channels

Seems it's winded down...but one report had the latest fatalities at 15 & injured at 26.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
AP: Official confirmation the gun man has been found dead in the building,

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Just to follow up on an intensely CT theory that was proposed in an earlier unrelated thread...,

Do you suppose the local politician in the area is for or against gun control?

These shootings seem to happen wherever there is a public servant who has stated he or she was against gun-control. Or in a place where gun ownership is not regarded in a negative light.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Maxmars]

I was just thinking about this last night so this seeing this on the news first thing was a bit scary. In a bad economy you would expect crime rates to increase but, not necessarily mass murder but crime involving money such as robberies. The thought that came to me just last night was that we are going to see more and more of these violent shootings, and I wonder if the government is behind them, I expect the 2nd amendment to come under fire very soon. It is not far fetched for the government to create a problem then create the solution. Is it just me or is it true that over the last 8 years we seen less of this sort of senseless violence, I recall under the Clinton administration, several school shootings and also that shooting in Hollywood. Since Obama has been in office we have seen 3 major violent shootings. There is no doubt in my mind that our 2nd amendment rights are going to come under fire very soon.

Well Fox news was reporting that it was an assault riffle which would be your AR-15, SKS type weapons. High Powered rifles would be your hunting weapons such as a 30-06 (30 aught 6).

This is troubling news for those who think that the government can not take away the 2nd amendment right your wrong, they already have infringed on them once with the assault weapons ban once and will do so again.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mandroid

This is what you get with your NRA gun laws and a lot of rabid KKK-influenced psychos on the streets.

Mind you, my country ain't any better. Two school shooting in a year! We are ahead of the USA with random gunman statistics!

But then again, they say that Finland is the most American country in Europe.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

no sir, i feel for thoose boys and girls.
Its all text book, if that basement was small then and there is only one way down, and they are on steroids and feeling all juiced lol... then the flashbang or CS the basement and charge getting mass caualties cause its about ba %70 rate at that point.
Grrr... meat for the grinder.

ooh rah

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
And some folks wonder why I concealed carry a .45 on me at all times.

I'm not going to sit there until it's my turn to die.

Damn.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Etsivä Romppainen
reply to post by mandroid

This is what you get with your NRA gun laws and a lot of rabid KKK-influenced psychos on the streets.

Mind you, my country ain't any better. Two school shooting in a year! We are ahead of the USA with random gunman statistics!

But then again, they say that Finland is the most American country in Europe.

This has less to do with the availability of guns and more to do with a public that is desensitized to violence through popular culture. There is also the matter of the stigma against seeking mental healthcare and the lack of mental healthcare in general. Life is hard and sometimes pushes us to a breaking point. Somewhere along the line we have to realize that we or someone we know needs a little nudge to get professional help or at the very least we should make time help people that are troubled. America is a good place with very good people going all the way back to the original occupants that we know of and those before. I regret that being described as "American" like is a slur. Many of us are working to change that.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I live in the Bronx, and let me say, you guys are making too much of a big deal about here. I don't even think this should be on this site..
12 people were killed according to the news (it's all over here) and the gunman shot himself. He was a former worker at IBM and just got layed off. He was just some crazy fool. Seriously, it's sad to see how big of a deal the Topic Poster is making of this. Talk about paranoid.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They say he worked at IBM.
So IBM is at fault.
Then the economy.
Then AIG.

Did he sweep the floor, they are the first to go in any
corporate overhead money saving effort.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnlyTruth
I live in the Bronx, and let me say, you guys are making too much of a big deal about here. I don't even think this should be on this site..
12 people were killed according to the news (it's all over here) and the gunman shot himself. He was a former worker at IBM and just got layed off. He was just some crazy fool. Seriously, it's sad to see how big of a deal the Topic Poster is making of this. Talk about paranoid.

How am I making a big deal of this? It's a sign of a society going downhill. Ignore this event? I don't think so. I am not that callous.

EDIT: Maybe all the posts I made while updating the breaking story reflect poorly on me. I should just edit the original post maybe and that is a legitimate criticism. I was not trying to hype the story at all I just was not very organized and for that I apologize.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by mandroid]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
Well Fox news was reporting that it was an assault riffle which would be your AR-15, SKS type weapons. High Powered rifles would be your hunting weapons such as a 30-06 (30 aught 6).

Of course it was. I have had the same feeling recently, there have been a few rampages this year, all involving assault rifles. Maybe they have people out there programmed to snap on a certain trigger....

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Is it me or is this happening more often and getting more coverage in the MSM? i smell a false flag operation to scare people into handing over a bigger chunk of their Second Amendment rights. I'm not downplaying what happened, it was an incredibly tragic event. I'm just saying there's more to this than there appears to be.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
How does it feel to look into the future of America?
This type of mass killing attacks are going to become
more and more frequent. As people become more
desperate due to financial stress they will snap and take
out their aggression on those they deem at fault and the innocent
that get in the way. I don't think this has any conspiracy content on
the 2nd amendment. Just poor people driven to the edge by
circumstance.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

God help us!!

[edit on 3-4-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
Is it me or is this happening more often and getting more coverage in the MSM? i smell a false flag operation to scare people into handing over a bigger chunk of their Second Amendment rights. I'm not downplaying what happened, it was an incredibly tragic event. I'm just saying there's more to this than there appears to be.

TheAssociate

At the risk of "making a big deal out of this":

It would be interesting to know about the shooters background with guns. Was he well trained and a longtime gun owner or did he just buy into the recent hype to arm up for impending DOOM and then snap like a noob with new found power over life and death? Why all the recent shootings? These questions need to be asked and answered before people run off half cocked and irrationally change the law not thinking about the downsides of such a change.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I would like to know if these mass shootings have become more common over the last 30 or so years, if they have then society really is getting sicker and sicker, it's like the shooting incidents are somehow becoming glamourised and I wonder if half of the sick f***s who are doing it are doing it just to become famous, doesn't matter to them that they kill themselves at the end of it, just so long as they become ''somebody''.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You may be right, but i just can't see losing a job to cause anybody to do this. To kill everybody you can? Not focus on those who actually did you wrong? I can't accept that as being a normal human reaction, under any stress...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Actually now they are reporting the gunman used a high powered rifle and two Simi-automatic pistols. If anything this goes to show that you don’t need an assault riffle to kill allot of people in a short amount of time. I am still certain that our 2nd amendment rights will come under fire soon due to this incident. Already members of the federal government are telling us they need to find away to prevent such tragedy and we all know what this will equate too, More gun laws that will keep weapons out of the hands of Americans while criminals will still continue to obtain weapons through the black market .

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Verd_Vhett

I am still certain that our 2nd amendment rights will come under fire soon due to this incident.

That, you are 100% correct about. They will use any and all excuses at their disposal to try to disarm the citizens. It will happen eventually, if not because of media induced panic over these types of incidents, then because of the willingness of the current and future administrations to bow down to international pressure. My major question is: Why can't we crack down on psychopaths rather than cracking down on Constitutional rights? Has this thought just never occurred to any politician or do they have motives other than "violence control" to disarm us?

TheAssociate

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join