It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot achieves scientific first

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Robot achieves scientific first

www.ft.com

A laboratory robot called Adam has been hailed as the first machine in history to have discovered new scientific knowledge independently of its human creators.

Adam formed a hypothesis on the genetics of bakers’ yeast and carried out experiments to test its predictions, without intervention from its makers at Aberystwyth University.

The result was a series of “simple but useful” discoveries, confirmed by human scientists, about the gene coding for yeast enzymes. The research is published in the journal Science.

Professor Ross King, the chief creator of Adam, said robots would not supplant human researchers but make their work more productive and interesting.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This seems to be the first step in AI, a robot that thought independently from it's makers, and reached it's own conclusions, but the conclusions I am sure were limited to what the creators downloaded into it's program.

It would be like puting numbers in a computer program, for example 1 to 1,000, and making a program where the computer would pick a random number. This is just a simple way of describing it.

We are reaching some dangerous levels in technology imo. A robot able to think independent from it's creator, might turn against it's creator.

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
My first reaction is to unplug "Adam". Maybe I've watched too much Battlestar Galactica, or seen Terminator too many times, or maybe their scenarios are just that plausible in this age.

So once a computer begins seeking knowledge for itself, how long until it becomes self aware? How long after becoming self aware does it develop a sense of self preservation, how long after that does it declare independence from it's human "handlers"?

I'm not religious, but I have a feeling that "Adam's" creator(s) are, and I'm not to fond of the rationale behind giving the name "Adam" either. Exactly what are the implications of this? Is Adam intended to be the first of a new "race"?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
For some reason I can't quite put my finger on I'm uncomfortable with this story.

I'm in agreement with Unit541 though....perhaps I've just seen the Terminator too many times.

Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This is the third thread on the story.

I'll say what I said before. Its only a matter of time before these machines recognize errors and faults in humans. They'll see all the bad stuff we ignore, correlate it with other data we ignore and come up with a solution.

Thats what scares me. The machines will not be blind to our corruption. You can't make them ignore reality by watching "dancing with the stars". They don't have selective memory. Nothing gets boring. They will pick up on everylittle stupid and illogical thing that humans do.

Eventually they will determine we are psychologically unfit and inferior, Judging that we are delusional and then remove us from power.

The fun part will be when we become lab rats and they try to "fix" us.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Ever hear of the crativity machine? Truly interesting stuff that goes rather deep.
This has connections to so many things, it is mind blowing.
The connection between programmed AI and free-thinking AI has been around for a long time already.
What we should be wary of is the day they decide to let these things out of their cages.
This is a pretty sweet ATS thread about it: In it's image

Be afraid, John Connor.

edit: Sorry, but the video link in that thread seems to have been changed. Here it is.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by 4N6310]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
...The fun part will be when we become lab rats and they try to "fix" us.

Either that, or they'll treat us like a virus, and simply destroy us.

new topics

join