It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think its starting now !!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
In one of my rare sojourns into MSM this week I heard a children's charity bleating about children suffering due to high prices of food. There is no doubt that the price of basic food stuff has increased dramatically. Yes the expensive stuff hasn't altered much, but the cheap food definitely has. I will be struggling soon. Fact.

According to the Mail, Express and Gruniard the benefit dwellers are starving and need a large increase in benefits cos the cost of basic essentials has gione up over 18% in the last year. Odd I did not realise Lager, Cigarettes, Cider, Curries, Pot noodles and Pot had gone up that much.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I do believe in being prepared for all eventualities.

In my younger days I was a Civil Defence Corps volunteer, until we were disbanded in the late 1960's. After that I transferred over to the Royal Observer Corps and worked for that organisation in addition to my regular employment, until disability meant I was unable to perform some of my duties.

So I am familiar with the need to be prepared. Living in a rural area & miles from a main road we invariably get cut off for a few days in the Winter, suffer from power cuts or lose the telephone. And in February 1987 we lost everything for the best part of two whole weeks. And survived to tell the tale. At one point I was heating snow in a pot simply to make a cup of tea !

My kitchen cupboards are always full of tinned food, powdered milk, flour etc. I've got enough candles to do a month at least, spare batteries, torches, a transistor radio (and now a shiny new wind-up radio) ... I've also retained a battery operated valve radio for that certain EMP event ... I've got plastic containers ready for water too.

I'm as well prepared as I possibly could be without making a life out of the whole survivalist thing.

So please don't make assumptions because I called your friends out on their creative writing.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Lass

Crime rates are local...what NR has experienced is a local thing, and I've begun to notice a similar trend in my area too

We're not end-times nut jobs here, just sharing local info amongst ourselves that could be a precursor to a greater storm, and your more than welcome to stay and join the banter...I'm sure you could teach us urban folk a few tricks too

Perhaps once in a while we need a counter balance that you offer to the way that we think and plan, just offer it in a in a more friendly way eh?

*offers a cuppa tea in friendship*

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

If I looked hard enough I could find supporting evidence from other newspapers. This really isn't the point. U.K. newspapers aren't worth bog-fodder, regardless of bias.

This aside, I agree. I could not give the proverbial simians father's brother about why the average trailer trash is struggling. Some of the basics HAVE gone up.

To the best of my knowledge lager, cigarettes and cider has remained in line with inflation. I haven't noticed any particular price increase.

Curry: this depends how you classify it. My curries/chilies are as expensive as the raw material required. I find them essential in providing my nutritional needs for a basic price.

I suspect pot has not gone up by much. This is an avoidable bone of contention because it is not relevant.

I can tell you though. The price of basic food HAS risen. Trust me. It IS impacting. That is why some are resorting to rustling. Food is becoming more expensive. Do not lump this in with filth and scum; there are genuine people who will start struggling soon. I won't be one because I have prepared, but I'm borderline. It's not far off.

Rant over... for now.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Sun Apr 5 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Exactly...the inflationary increases in welfare payment lag woefully behind the actual increase in inflation in the economy meaning only one thing, a rise in the black-market and hidden crime statistics for those caught in, and caught out by, that benefit-trap

The BoE has slashed the current interest rate to almost 0% and it can only go one way from there..upward. I 've lived through 2 recessions so far and was 'taught' to read the Guardian, Times, and other broadsheets 'laterally' and to 'connect the dots' from a young age, and this looming national-economic situation aint going to be no reprise of 1990 Norman Lamont losing the pound down the back of the Exchequer sofa, its going to be far, far worse

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

I agree food prices have gone up and quite a lot . I was trying to find the article doing the rounds about Tesco, Asda, etc limiting shoppers who bulk buy long grain rice because the main seller of the stuff India has cut exports by over 90%. its the same with Balti Flour and other basic essentials. I still managed to buy a few tubs at Makro but some itemms are far more expensive now, and not always on the shelves. TRhe biggest bugger is the drums of cooking oil, sunflower oil, etc its gone up horrendously lately, i used to add it to my diesel as was much cheaper than diesel, about 39 pence a lite, but last time I checked it was over 80 pence a litre.

(bbcode)

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
The biggest bugger is the drums of cooking oil, sunflower oil, etc its gone up horrendously lately, i used to add it to my diesel as was much cheaper than diesel, about 39 pence a lite, but last time I checked it was over 80 pence a litre.

That sound like a 'Rusholme Taxi'...the distinct smell of burning Balti as the cab drove past

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It seems there have been at least 2 threads on ATS that share NR's sentiments. In case anyone missed the subject being previously discussed one (with link to the other) can be found here.

Also wanted to throw out some more creative writing for your amusement.

food shortages.
food shortage
America's 10%.

My personal opinion, FWIW, is that there will not be a defining moment when we realize the S has HTF but the frog will boil one degree at a time until we finally realize we're in some seriously hot water. By then it will probably be too late to make any preparations.

edit to fix linky

[edit on 5-4-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
reply to post by Nirgal

I agree food prices have gone up and quite a lot . I was trying to find the article doing the rounds about Tesco, Asda, etc limiting shoppers who bulk buy long grain rice because the main seller of the stuff India has cut exports by over 90%. its the same with Balti Flour and other basic essentials. I still managed to buy a few tubs at Makro but some itemms are far more expensive now, and not always on the shelves. TRhe biggest bugger is the drums of cooking oil, sunflower oil, etc its gone up horrendously lately, i used to add it to my diesel as was much cheaper than diesel, about 39 pence a lite, but last time I checked it was over 80 pence a litre.

(bbcode)

May I suggest that if you all are wanting to buy large quantities of rice or spices then head over to your local 'Chinese cash and carry' They always have a load in, I was in our local over in Croydon London a couple of days ago and they had a huge stack ready for all the restaurants, so why not go there instead of your local supermarkets, if you want variety then find your local 'ethnic' wholesalers, whether its Chinese, Indian, Polish whatever.
Our local Wing Yip ( good plug there) always is fully stocked and reasonably priced too.
Most people, if there are food shortages, will head to their local supermarkets, but like stated earlier they only have a 3 day stock, if I were you and it got that bad , don't follow the sheeple and head straight to your local Cash and Carry.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
hello, I live in Oxfordshire, England, the biggest part of the 'UK', and I shop at a hypermarket called Tesco's some prices are going down, some going up, but my average weekly payout on food stays the same, as for the state of Oxon itself, no shortages, no riots, young people are civil, they say please and thank you, move out of the way if they need to, the BBc doe's not let us know whats really going on [supprise supprise], no shops with empty shelves anywhere, I have noticed the 'cheap' shops and charity shops seem to have more customers, all in all, life seems the same here, or perhaps I'm in a time warp?
Anyway, I check ATS every day, always something good to read.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Regarding the earlier post, I think it also may be prudent to invest in a couple of 20 litre Jerry cans for fuel seeing as fuel prices are on the increase again.
At least that way you have a little to keep you going till supplies are restored, failing that you haven't spent as much in the long run. I only have my bike so 2-3 20litre cans would save me a little cash at the pump and last about a month.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Just a quick tip (I only know this because I was ticked off by my local garage during the fuel dispute a few years ago).

The legal position is that you can store only two containers of petrol/diesel at your home, either two 10 litre metal ones or two 5 litre plastic ones. And that they should ideally be kept in a garage or shed away from your home for obvious reasons

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Lass
The legal position is that you can store only two containers of petrol/diesel at your home, either two 10 litre metal ones or two 5 litre plastic ones. And that they should ideally be kept in a garage or shed away from your home for obvious reasons

...but if you have a deisel vehicle, you can run it on cooking oil, and there's no restriction on the amount that you can store

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by The Lass

...but if you have a deisel vehicle, you can run it on cooking oil, and there's no restriction on the amount that you can store

OR biodiesel

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Lass

If you have 2, 20 litre cans stored in your garage AWAY from you home (like my garage is - I live in a block and the garages are about 100 metres away) you should be ok, besides WHO'S gonna know, providing you only fill one up and then go back a couple of days later to fill the second one up.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Hi NR hope you are still OK,very upsetting post I used to live in Gatley Cheshire my brother still lives in Altrincham hes a retired head master and used to work in the Bury/Rochdale area,and he predicted this would happen I live in Australia and have 3 pitbull,s but we do have a lot of petty crime the cops cant do much as the perps walk free the jails are all full.Its all a bit freaky,at least the cops dont have sub machine guns yet,but they will soon I reckon.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

"no mention of the 640,000 people in one month who lost their jobs ????"

It was 742,000:

742,000 lose their jobs in month of march

But other than that you are dead on target, and things are getting dicey.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
removed

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by waterdoctor

"Every one is putting in a garden this year. The hardware stores can not keep in Roto tillers. "

It is being called the garden boom, ppl know what is coming, they
have talked to their elders and history is repeating itself all over again.

The garden boom

For those who ignore the mainstream news articles I cannot help you.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

To know they play games with numbers you have to look no further
than the derivatives debacle that will soon implode in the
100's of trillions region and that will be all she wrote.

When that behemoth blows, it is over.

If you want the links just u2u me for them.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join