It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone seen a hole in the sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I have. Not sure how else to describe it. This is a memory that recently surfaced and I've been researching on-line for evidence or similar stories to no avail. Here's what I remember:

It was the late 70's (My brain says 1978, but we all know how reliable that organ can be), in central Vermont. I was a child. A friend and I were wandering through the farm fields one hot summer afternoon when we both saw the strangest thing. There was a tear in the sky.

The anomaly produced first produced a sound, like a pop, followed by an increasing hum that we felt more than heard. It appeared out of a cloudless sky, low in the horizon over the mountains to the West South West. First a dot, it rapidly expanded outward in both directions, a black line ringed with an orange/yellow glow. It was narrower at each end, wider in the center, like a hole in fabric. I wouldn't presume to know how far away it was, or how big it was, but if you held two fingers up to the sky 8" to 10" apart you'd have a visual on how it appeared from the ground. The entire "tear" rippled and danced like a flag waving in the wind and then closed up as quickly as it appeared, disappearing with a sound like air rushing into a void. There was no residual evidence in the sky afterward. I remember telling our parents that evening of what we saw, but we were brushed off as imaginative children can be.

In my searches, I came across a few random pages that seemed to be connected, but nothing that has a smoking gun. It could have been a bolide, yet no records exist that I can find. Perhaps it was a HAARP like experient, weren't the Soviets playing with Tesla based ionosphere modifications during that time? Dunno. Do you?

A few interesting links I found along the way:

Brief History of Vermont Astronomy

Meteor Fireball Sounds Identified

HARRP / Woodpecker Flashes in the Sky

I'm no longer in touch with the childhood friend that witnessed this event with me, so I can't ask him about it. So... I ask you. Does anyone else remember seeing anything like this? Have you heard about anything like this? Any help fleshing this out would be appreciated.

MODS: If this is not the proper formum, please move me! I'm new here. Heh.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Tripnman]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
wow, thats amazing, but I have a pretty crazy childhood experience dealing with weird stuff in the sky too, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

My story: when i was about 8 or 9, maybe 7 i really dont know....but i was a kid, and me and the neighbor kid were walking up my road one evening and i swear I saw a ball of fire goin across the sky. It had a tail and everything. It was headed west. I could see it plainly in the sky which was still light, although the sun was going down. Even at that age i thought about all damage that could do and thought even that it would end the world like what happened to the dinosaurs so I told my buddy that we had to run up the hill to my house and tell my dad....like he was gonna stop it....

Evidently it was nothing, never heard a thing about it, tho there was a plane in the sky right after....
the fireball wasn't up there long either....by the time we got to my house it was out of view so no one else saw. Like you I haven't seen the guy since i was a kid...

I'm sure plenty of people have seen a fireball of some sort, but the sky ripping open and having those effects, then sealing back up is really out there.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
have you seen too many futurama episodes.

movie - "The Beast of a Billion Backs".

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the input so far.

Spearhead, yes, I've seen a few episodes of Futurama but not the movie to which you prefer. Unlikely this is related since it happened some 30 years prior to that show hitting the air.

LiquidSmoke206, thanks for the benefit of the doubt. Out of curiosity, when and where was your experience? Could they be related and my now aged mind is simply making more of the memory than was really there? I've not been fortunate enough to see a daylight meteor entry, but have certainly seen some spectacular light shows after dark during the annual visits of the Perseids, Geminids, etc.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
my experience was in the late 80's in montesano, washington.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
One of our excellent MODs shared this article.

www.space.com...

Fascinating story OP.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Liquid, that makes it about 3,000 miles and a few years apart from what I saw, so probably not related. I'm still jealous that you at least are confident in what you saw.

cindymars, that article looks intriguing. I'll have to digest it in detail later, but the first few paragraphs do resonate with my experience. The feeling I had at the time, and again now that the memory has returned, is that what we saw was a literal hole tearing open in our atmosphere, the blackness in the center being visable space. That's why I was conjecturing that it could be related to some Tesla like experiment. After glancing at the article, could what I saw have been a "stretch mark" of a rapidly expanding universe? The concept is facinating. EDIT to add: cindymars, I really miss Farscape. It was such a great show.

Keep the ideas coming, I would love to find that someone else saw what I saw.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Weird. I had almost the same experience 3 years ago. I could feel an enormous amount of energy in the air. Then a cloud formation that was shaped like a triple helix descended from the sky. Whe the formation reached the ground and enourmous amount of energy could be felt in the air. Then a rip in space opened. It was a small dark triangle. After that the light rods appeared on the ground below. One white and one red. The sun came into alighnment with the rods and the stargate appeared. It was crystaline in structure and about 20 feet in diameter. When I peered into the stargate it was as you said. Wind rushing through a hollow log. But I didn't hear with my ears rather I heard with my head. There was more but thats another conversation if we have it.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Seeing as you can't remember exactly how old you were why should we believe that this really happened to you ?
Memory's from childhood can be distorted and amplified and small events can seem big..

You could of stared at the sun and saw an eclipse

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Perhaps we live in some sort of elaborate holographic earth/universe - could have been one of the layers projecting us screwing up.
I know it's not really scientifically plausible but I always think it's possible.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
sounds a bit like a wormhole/stargate opening to me. in the book 'hunt for the skinwalker' they talk about seeing a hole in the sky where ufos/ships come and go out of. apparantly thru the hole the sky looks different to the sky in the immediate area of the hole - i.e. like looking into a different world. happened on a ranch in utah i think. NIDS went to investigate it i think.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies, all. Your input is appreciated. A few responses:

@symmetrical-spacemonkey - Well, no, that doesn't sound like what I saw at all. Maybe the one line about a rip in space hints at it. The rest, well, no, much too elaborate. What I remember seeing was a thin "rip" as if a piece of fabric were being torn. No triangles, rods, cones, quadruple helix things or fancy colors. Where did your experience occur? What did you do? Did you buy more later? ;p

@nasacarl - Agreed that old memories, especially in a well-used brain like mine, can be unreliable. I don't ask that you believe me - since it is my memory, I'm allowed to believe what I want about it.
My sincere hope was that someone else would have recalled seeing something similar in the same area at the same time. This is why I posted the recollection.

@nventual - That kind of relates to the article that cindymars posted. Great reading, the stretch mark in the sky theory. I liked that one.

@rapunzel222 - Yes, like that. Only what was in the center was black, like space. Unfortunately, I saw nothing going in or out of this rip in the sky, and it certainly wasn't symmetrical. It looked - natural.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I am unsure of what it could be, however I do believe you! I think when your a child you have a vivid imagination, and are more prone to the unexplained and weird!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
As strange as it sounds i know exactly what you are talking about i have no idea what it is but i will never forget that popping sound. You see it up there but it sounds like it is 3 feet above your head. I have seen somthing else which i do not normaly bring up but the best way i could describe it is a black rainbow thing that goes straight up in the sky. I have seen them before and i saw one once with my brother so i know im not crazy.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Of that, Poet, I have no doubt. We have a little one in the house now, and I'm fascinated watching the world through his eyes. I swear - we're born tripping and sober up as we age.

Or, put another way - young children see things that adults should see but don't because our minds have been conditioned to believe that we can't.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripnman

I have. It was in college. I was doing something I cannot describe here, suffice to say, I was livid, and seeing things. This song came on

www.youtube.com...

and I freaked out. The Willamette Valley at the time and the sky outside was most peculiar. So the first line in that song freaks me out every time I hear it. Thank you for bringing up such a painful memory.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by pluckynoonez]

top topics

join