It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins Symposium at ASU April 3-6 + Live webcasts too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I was doing a search on physicist Lawrence Krauss to find that he is (now) at Arizona State University and director of the Origins program.

ASU is hosting a symposium that cuts across a wide range of disciplines including "the origin of the universe, origins of stars and planet, the origins of life, human origins, origins of consciousness and culture."

www.origins.asu.edu...

Save The Dates: April 3-6, 2009
Origins Symposium

The Origins Symposium will inaugurate the new Origins Initiative at ASU, which will be a University-wide transdisciplinary endeavor supporting research building on key areas of strength at ASU including: the origin of the universe, origins of stars and planet, the origins of life, human origins, origins of consciousness and culture. It will focus on specific topics and different times, and also build transdisciplinary bridges. A key component of Origins will also involve public outreach and education, as well as exploring new paradigms for undergraduate education.

An unprecedented public event to inaugurate the new Origins Initiative will be held April 6, 2009 Gammage Auditorium, and broadcast live on the web. We will assemble in one place a group containing the most well known scientific public intellectuals in the world. Speakers will include:

* Stephen Hawking
* Steven Pinker
* Richard Dawkins
* J. Craig Venter
* Lawrence Krauss
* Brian Greene
* Donald C. Johanson

Nobel Panel

And a Nobel Panel, including:
Sheldon Glashow, David Gross, John Mather, Frank Wilczek, Walter Gilbert and Baruch Blumberg

www.origins.asu.edu...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Thanks for getting this information out.Sounds like it could be interesting.I have heard of the Origins program but admitedly I don't know to much about it.What exactly is its goal?

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I'm hoping to find out more through the webcasts tomorrow. I think it's equal parts about developing a direction for future research and finding some cohesion across disciplines while examining prevailing theories. I could be wrong!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Brian Greene speaking with Lawrence Krauss now.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
For those of you recently interested in the topic of ID and evolution:
Richard Dawkins is speaking now. It will be in the format of a dialogue.

www.audioeye.com...

new topics

join