It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critics assail Afghan law that 'legalizes rape'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Critics assail Afghan law that 'legalizes rape'

home.peoplepc.com

KABUL - A new Afghan law makes it legal for men to rape their wives, human rights groups and some Afghan lawmakers said Thursday, accusing President Hamid Karzai of signing the legislation to bolster his re-election prospects.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Now I know things are just bad in the United States but isnt this taking things just a little bit too far. I had to do some more research on this to find out if this story was true. This has to be the most deplorable thing I have seen any nation do in my 10 years here on ats.

Even that selling the child on e-bay was one thing this is going to far. I did a search on ats didnt see any stories matching this.

Falcon

home.peoplepc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This really is madness. How could any human being allow this, regardless of race, religion or sex? It's macabre.

What's next? Legalise pedophilia? De-criminalise domestic violence? Married women under house arrest? Government approved slavery?

And this wins elections? Something is very wrong with this world - instead of spending $1.1 trillion on bailing out the decadent bankers, use the money to introduce real change into the world.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thiers a woman i work with, she is cool from Bangladesh..we were talking with ehr few days ago at work..and over thier, its legal and actually normal sometimes, for a 30 someting year old man, to marry a 15 year old girl! I stopped and starred wtihout flinthing in lost awe, over disbelief i jsut heard. She knew a girl, that was 7, and married a guy 17.
Her cousin, also from bangladesh, (thier both muslim), was telling me over thier, the man has alot of control over a woman..and hse accepts this, or is taught , its her job to do his biddings. A woman that was raped, MUST have at least 4 witnesses, otherwise, the courts will not lilsten to her.
A MAZING isnt it?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
To add to my previous post.

Having seen more on this story, this law also legalises that the women affected must have permission from their husbands to leave their house and legalises the kind of child marriage ziggy mentions.

It is unbelievable.

So a young girl could be married at an early age, locked in at home and repeatedly raped over a number of years. Isn't this what Austrian Josef Fritzl received life imprisonment for? At the same time our troops are dying in Afghanistan!

Where is the moral balance?

This goes beyond madness.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Different cultures are different. That doesn't make them right or wrong. It just is what it is. If your religious I can understand why you might have a hard time wrapping your mind around this. However, lets say an 17 year old marries a 7 year old girl and has sex with her whether she wants to or not. At the very least he would be married to her for the rest of their lives most likely so whats wrong with that?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would have thought this story would have gotten more responces I mean come on legalizing rape. Seriously even if its not in the U.S. where I would have expected it seeing how bad things have gotten in the last few years how much worse can it can it get?

Falcon

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevedel0
reply to post by mithrawept

Different cultures are different. That doesn't make them right or wrong. It just is what it is. If your religious I can understand why you might have a hard time wrapping your mind around this. However, lets say an 17 year old marries a 7 year old girl and has sex with her whether she wants to or not. At the very least he would be married to her for the rest of their lives most likely so whats wrong with that?

Really!
Culturally neutralizing evil and crimes against humanity. I know there are countries like this, and the fascist cartel have had a hand in this as well, as they wish they could impose repressive regimes and culturally accepted suppression of women, freedom of individual expression and religion everywhere. For decades international human rights groups and womens groups have reported this. A whole lot of people consider these things crimes.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
None of you are looking at the bigger picture, instead you're all too busy focusing on the skin-deep, cultural differences as usual which seem to anger Americans quicker than a fist to the back of the head.

Hamid Karzai is a hopelessly ineffective, corrupt and untrustworthy sock-puppet whom the US put into power that's just sinking Afghanistan further and further into lawlessness.

Apart from his ties to the extremely profitable Opium & Heroin trade via his brother, he regularly accepts bribes from the Taliban in exchange for granting them less government intrusion into certain provinces (like Helmand, the Taliban stronghold) and undermines overall security in Afghanistan by exercising no influence outside Kabul.

His term is almost up. He knows this, he wants to win back some support and continue the power trip he was handed on a platter by the Americans.

You guys want democracy? Here it is.

The Afghani President playing to his base and tantalising voters from certain, hardline demographics by passing laws that appeal to their political & social beliefs.

How is that any different from what happens during an American Presidential election?

If you want to blame ANYONE for this travesty and miscarriage of justice in a supposedly "democratic" state, blame America for putting this completely hopeless nutjob into power.

Christ, you guys whine about a lack of freedom before you invade Afghanistan, and you're still whining about a lack freedom 8 years after you invade Afghanistan and have your own puppet in place.

What does that tell you?

[edit on 4/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

its legal to do that in SC marry at 15 to a 30 year old.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

If you want to blame ANYONE for this travesty and miscarriage of justice in a supposedly "democratic" state, blame America for putting this completely hopeless nutjob into power.

Nope, I didn't miss this part, any more than in Iran when they had finally achieved a moderate government in a democratic election the US/UK sent its jakyls in and the Ayatollah Humani. Fundamentalist muslim came out of Saudi Arabia, absolutely loved by the nwo henchmen, both the Rothchild's and the Nazi Rockefeller/Bush camp. Haven't missed a thing here. They are attempting to send the world back to the dark ages.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This is appalling, certain things can never be justified as mere cultural differences.

This law is not applied equally either. (Not that it should apply to anyone.)

The law — which some lawmakers say was never debated in parliament — is intended to regulate family life inside Afghanistan's Shiite community, which makes up about 20 percent of this country of 30 million people. The law does not affect Afghan Sunnis.

Source: www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Studious]

[edit on 4-4-2009 by Studious]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Nope, I didn't miss this part, any more than in Iran when they had finally achieved a moderate government in a democratic election the US/UK sent its jakyls in and the Ayatollah Humani.

Good. Then stop decrying Afghanistan for being a cesspool of immorality and "evil", when it was America's newly installed puppet Karzai who authorised this law.

The Afghan people deserve as much blame for this law coming to pass as Santa Claus does.
It's got absolutely nothing to do with cultural beliefs or religious perspectives.

It's Karzai's way of ensuring he can remain in power for another 4 year term, by pandering to the fanatical nutjobs he let walk over his government.
The Government the United States set up as their obedient lapdog.

Direct the blame to where it belongs.

[edit on 4/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I was responding to the idea of another poster that these differences were cultural ones, and could not be seen as good or evil, which is absolutely ludicrous. And pointed out that many international organizations have been reporting these things for years, and women's groups throughout the world have tried to raise public awareness.
As to supporting Bush's ware in Afghanistan, when I first watched the live 9/11 presentation I knew it had been staged by the elite, and I knew that the chance of me being wrong was incredibly slim based on the reputation they had earned and their bizarre actions of dismantling democracies and setting up fascist governments everywhere, and numerous involvements in developing countries.
When I first heard a report on CBC radio of an innocent family of civilians being bombed, and the details of the father coming back and holding his dying children in his arms, my own youngest son was lying in his playpen. I couldn't sleep and actually fully intended on going down to the US border and declaring war personally on George Bush on behalf of the children and had to phone the crisis line. Instead of a Canadian crisis line worker, I spoke to an unusual guy with a US twang accent who brought up that these babies were black, weren't they, and if Oprah Winfield didn't make it an issue, how could it be one? Something that would illegal for a Canadian crisis worker to say, and I knew that American damage control agents were manning the crisis lines because they were expecting phone calls.

I told him their US pop star Oprah, didn't empower me, and that this was an illegal war, and that they were all psychos. I said quite a few things to this guy that I can't repeat on ATS and suggested, since I knew this was taped, to send it along to our PM so he knows what he's facing if he tries to pull treasonous crimes on us.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Wow, to think our soldiers are risking their lives in Afghanistan only for crap laws like this to be put on the table. They must surely lose heart when they hear of things like this.

So progress is allowing women to finally be able to vote only to make it legal for their husbands to rape them.
I feel so incredibly sorry for the Afghan women who are the victims in all of this.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Wow, to think our soldiers are risking their lives in Afghanistan only for crap laws like this to be put on the table.

Soldiers? Since when are America's soldiers bound to Afghan law?

They're not the ones suffering from this judicial experiment gone wrong, it's the Afghan people that are.

So progress is allowing women to finally be able to vote

Oh yeah they have a lot of choice on their hands.

They can vote for one pro-American puppet who takes orders from Washington, or another pro-American puppet who takes orders from Washington.

Like I said before, Karzai needs to be booted out of office and they need to hold bi-partisan elections that represent all sectors of Afghan society and give the people the right to choose leaders that actually represent them.

Not quasi-gangsters like Karzai who are using the President's Office as a front for drug smuggling and cooperating with the Taliban behind everyone's back.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by stevedel0

as long as they are married, everything is cool???

ya, sure.....like to know just how much this weakens our "abstinance only" lectures in countries like this....
I mean, if a women (or 7 year old girl) can't say no, there's no reason to tell her to just refrain from the act if you don't want the kid, now is there? seems we've wasted alot of money on that one!!

as far as the idea that as long as they are married, everything is cool.......
well, let's say that that 7 year old girl has her first baby at the age of 14.....is it still cool to rape her two days after she gives birth to that baby???

because, I will tell ya something, it would hurt like a sob!!!

no, no man, not even a husband has the right to force himself on his wife whenever he wishes!!!

just because they are married doesn't make it all kosher and cool!

[edit on 4-4-2009 by dawnstar]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

has her first baby at the age of 14.....is it still cool to rape her two days after she gives birth to that baby???

because, I will tell ya something, it would hurt like a sob!!!

that happens all over the world not just in `rag head` countries - case point:

www.bostonherald.com...:_Mom_drugged_13-year-old_daughter_so_she_d_get_pregnant/

UNIONTOWN, Pa. - A western Pennsylvania mother has been charged with giving her 13-year-old daughter drugs and alcohol so the woman’s boyfriend could get the girl pregnant, police said Thursday

[edit on 4/4/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This is a big deal because? In most Muslim controlled countries it is impossible for a woman to prove rape. One, it takes four male witnesses to say she was raped. Second, if she claims rape and does not have at least four male witnesses, she is admitted to adultery and the punishment in most places is... raped and murdered.

BTW, she could have every female on the planet tell the judge/police it was rape and it wouldn't count becausr they are women and are worth nothing. Geesh, at least slaves were worth 3/5s of a white person. And they were allowed to talk, and sing, unlike Muslim women. One case a 74 year old woman was whipped in public for talking to a strange man. And some people think we live in a modern world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join