It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More aggravation for smokers.....for real :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
WASHINGTON - The House has approved legislation that for the first time would give the government powers to regulate tobacco products.

The 298-112 was a significant victory for anti-smoking groups that have long sought to subject cigarettes to the same government scrutiny that food items on the nation's grocery shelves face.

Under the bill, the Food and Drug Administration would be able to regulate, but not ban, cigarettes and other tobacco products. The FDA could make ingredients public, ban flavoring and prohibit marketing campaigns.

COMPLETE ARTICLE: www.msnbc.msn.com...

ARE YOU F***** SERIOUS ????

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
IF the FDA wanted to ban flavors and chemicals, they would have already done it. Rremember, the FDA nad Bigpharma wash eachothers hands. That owuld put DOW chemcials in serious trouble i bet lol, banning chemcials in ciggarettes

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Thats a good thing.
Now maybe smokers will smarten up and stop smoking.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Will the next eugenist attack be through popular cig brands? I wonder from this because it seems they are raising the price on unrolled tobacco products higher than the pre-rolled popular brands. This tax is illegal, because the interpretation of the law is flawed, and the democracy is not american, In a republic, all products for consumption would merely be regulated efficiently and cheaply, not taxed by the wolves, poised to eat some lambchops.

Also the whole of the strata of american business is really a mockery of you the consumer. It assumes you are stupid, which you are not, your being kept in the dark. About the conspiracy within the conspiracy. That is part of the selling out of the U.S. by generations of rogue american families and individuals, attempting to undermine capitalism and the republic, in order to benefit a false dream given to them by the uber elite, whom these lesser mindsets follow sadly calling people like me morons. Well have your dream. One day you will wake up to a stark reality. And like any dream, without vivid description, will fade from memory.

This tax, the companies and anyone involved, are part of a macro economic swindling in order to offset our financial stability, so that the world elites can tout the NEW WORLD ORDER and decay our sovereign nation. Globalists, stop insulting my country we the real americans, know you want us gone, and shut up, it is us who will silence you and humble you to THE REALITY, not your own version of it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Thats a good thing.
Now maybe smokers will smarten up and stop smoking.

Heh heh. (blows smoke at your avatar) Cough cough. Ahem. Yes, the thought of quitting crossed my mind. Actually, the thought crossed my mind 7 or 8 times in the past couple of days since I started seeing these stories pop up.

I roll my own, which is cheaper, but definitely worse for me. They should drop the price of the anti-smoking aids available to create a real incentive.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

...and maybe fat people will stop eating... and perhaps alcoholics will stop drinking.....are you getting my point here? Tell me what your vice is and maybe I can find a way to tax it

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

You and I are obviously both smokers. Clearly we are intelligent people that realize the implications or our habit, but that is besides the point. It would be nice if they could find someone else to pick on for a change. Let them tax McDonalds and KFC the way they tax cigarettes and maybe some of the porkers would start eating lettuce. Can you imagine the uprising if that happened? ROTF! Oh no, don't pick on a fatty but beat the crap out of smokers incessantly. I've personally had enough of this BS

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
reply to post by SuperSlovak

...and maybe fat people will stop eating... and perhaps alcoholics will stop drinking.....are you getting my point here? Tell me what your vice is and maybe I can find a way to tax it

I will second that. It is either stand up for everyone or get in line for your turn when some Anti-(insert pretty much anything) group decides to take up a cause against something that is part of your lifestyle. Then again, I'm sure the anti-tobacco folks believe they are so perfect and together that noone could ever find anything objectionable about them. Naturally they underetimate human ingenuity.

Preachy, "you shouldn't do..." dogooding is evil in a very pure form. If one cannot see that they are truly blind.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Far more people die prematurely from not following a low-calorie diet than from smoking (this is a fact: look at the data on high-nutrient, low calorie diets). Virtually everybody living in America dies of calorie poisoning in some form or another (usually several decades prematurely) -- this is the unavoidable conclusion of nearly 80 years worth of scientific research.

Should we impose a calorie tax, to incentivize people to follow a low-calorie diet? I already practice calorie restriction, so I think that it's a dandy idea. Maybe everybody else will stop consuming more-than-the-necessary levels of calories on a daily basis. My loved ones would live a longer, healthier life.

But wait, "sin" taxes aren't meant to increase health, they're meant to increase tax revenue? Oh...

And before anybody brings up second-hand smoke, I would like you to consider the fact that you can pass a law against public smoking, if that's your aim.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
This tax is illegal, because the interpretation of the law is flawed ...

Who's interpretation? How is it flawed? Is this just your opinion, or can you quote a source. If this tax is illegal, I definitely want to learn more about it.

I "roll my own" (filtered tubes, not cowboy style) and my costs have more than doubled. What I could purchase last week for $19.95 now costs me over $45.00. The tax on loose (bagged) tobacco jumped from $1.10 to $24.78 per pound. That's an increase of 2,152 percent!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This is not directed at anyone here.

Morons create stress, raise my blood pressure, and all in all create an unhealthy environment for me. They should be regulated as well.

IRS agents..unhealthy.
Our new White-House rock star...bad for me, and you.
regulate them too.

On cigarettes, I've always wondered why the ingredients were never listed.
they are ingested by us, why not list the goodies inside?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
As a smoker I fear the regulations
will look like the smokes on 5th element
mostly filter with a two drag smoke

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Only reason tobacco is NOT regulated now is that the industry is big enough to buy off all the congressmen.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

you know what it amounts to regulating how much nicotine they can put into cigs.You'll have to smoke more to get the same buzz
If they ban the practice of spiking cigs with nicotine it'll be like smoking a cigar hardly a buzz.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
You know.....This is what got me concerned,

LINK

" Weaver said. "I think we are being unfairly taxed... the federal and state government already get more than we do off an acre of tobacco in the tax."

This farmer is worried about if he be able to plant this year or not, you just have to be a tobacco farmer to really feel the pinch with these taxes. How many farmers will go out of business this year alone.

So it's also the farmer's that's getting hit. If they can't raise a crop of tobacco because the tobacco companies are cutting back, they lose everything.

Not only that....I read R.J. Reynolds will have to put 50,000 workers on the line, this was only from one state.

I thought Obama was suppose to create jobs............

[edit on 3-4-2009 by tiso_us]

new topics

top topics

join