It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not all doom and gloom.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
TailoredVagabond - Let me guess, you're one of these ignorant people, just like these clueless politicians who are against protectionism. Open borders - what a load of crap. Anyone with half a brain cell inside their heads puts their own country first and that's exactly how it should be. To become reliant on another country for food and energy etc is completely insane, especially considering we live in such an unstable world. According to the UN, the UK will have the largest population in Europe by 2050. Compared to countries like Germany, France, Spain, Portugal etc, we can't possibly sustain that amount of people. It's called common sense, which is something these people who oppose protectionism don't have.
There ignorance & stupidity will be the death of us all.

Well said pause4thought, that's exactly what needs to be done.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by kindred]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I just have to say that it is a direct reflection of what people see as issues. The more negative things you see happening in the world, the more you'll see negative things discussed. But thanks for the good news. It is very much appreciated (and needed)

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

To be honest, I can see what your saying but if you see it as doom and gloom, it will be doom and gloom, every cloud.

With everything thats going on at the moment with the G20, the rediculous numbers being thrown around so 'willy-nilly' it's hard to see the good, but it is still there. I have replied to you, not even an hour ago on another thread about the G20 and I can see where your coming from, but the fact is people want truth and not spin.

For instance, you opinon could be that I am one of the ones spreading doom and gloom, due to my opinons of what is currently going on (blatant coup IMO, but hey), but its all about perception. I see it as the more people that can here this now, means that more people in the future are ready IF it happens.

take you for instance, atm you don't believe much about whats going on (I'm not sure as I'm not fully sure on your beliefs, but as an example) Say, for instance, in a few months or so, the 'doom and gloom' scenarios that have been getting banded around start coming true (or at least, you start seeing similarities) for those who have seen these 'warnings' (or doom and gloom) it will help them possibly spot these things in the near future, for others, they will completely miss them.

The silver lining of this cloud of doom and gloom, is if this turns out to be true, more people will know and we will have a better chance to stop it.

I find them useful, it helps me piece a puzzle together.

Keep bringing us the good news though.

EMM

[edit on 3-4-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
TailoredVagabond - Let me guess, you're one of these ignorant people, just like these clueless politicians who are against protectionism. Open borders - what a load of crap. Anyone with half a brain cell inside their heads puts their own country first and that's exactly how it should be. To become reliant on another country for food and energy etc is completely insane, especially considering we live in such an unstable world. According to the UN, the UK will have the largest population in Europe by 2050. Compared to countries like Germany, France, Spain, Portugal etc, we can't possibly sustain that amount of people. It's called common sense, which is something these people who oppose protectionism don't have.
There ignorance & stupidity will be the death of us all.

Well said pause4thought, that's exactly what needs to be done.

I'm not against protectionism per se, but when one economy has singlehandedly led the demise of the global economy, I can see the other side, unlike some ignorant people. It's not the American people's fault but this thing started in the states.

The point of ththread is that not EVERYTHING is a crap-mire, there are good signs everywhere, such as the company I work for. People in the UK and America aren't suffering as much as others in other countries. Fact.

So, the sim ttal of my crime is what...stating America isn't the world???

It isn't. So deal with it

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

...I'm sorry becoming reliant on other countries for your food, almost all of your manufactured goods and 90% of your oil needs WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Your right m8, its not all doom and gloom

People are losing their jobs and life savings and futures

But they have time to work on their tans now

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Ford has been a pleasant surprise for the past several years. We can only wish that GM had been so wise...

The thing that gets overlooked is that a domestic auto industry is vital to any country that plans on going to war. This is why the "Big 3" are "too big to fail." We could probably let Chrysler go (although they have a merger in the works), but we need GM. At the very least, Ford will swoop in an buy up GM's mangled remains and start manufacturing Hummers (even if the .gov has to give them the money to do it).

So those of you who like to buy American, don't worry. At least one of these companies is going to stay in business come hell or high-water.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

HAI cHAps there should always be +positive energy around you so u can think + ly . There is not going to be any meltdown nothing like that crap our world economy will rise again its just the cycle of up and down dont think too much about it and worry about feeding ur family and sorry its not a reply to you i am new to posting

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Ashcool007]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

Your right m8, its not all doom and gloom

Thanks mate I know

People are losing their jobs and life savings and futures

Yep. Myself included.

But they have time to work on their tans now

Not sure what you're getting at here...My tans in good nick btw.

It would seem you've missed the point of this thread, that's ok it can be hard to comprehend sometimes...

The title pretty much sums it up:

It's not all doom and gloom

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Oh I understand the concept of the post

Its like sayin

"There was a bus crash in Timbucktwo, 46 killed , but it wasn't TOO bad , because 3 people lived !

Therefore

"Its NOT all Doom and Gloom"

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
You are right it's not all doom and gloom... For some people it has provided a good opportunity.

www.cnn.com...

LAKE ELSINORE, California (CNN) -- The two-story homes on Fir Circle in an upscale Lake Elsinore, California, neighborhood tell two stunningly different tales.

Some are vacant, bank-owned and beat-up inside. Others are filled with kids' laughter and the sounds of boxes unpacking and families moving in.

Mary Ann Lepley, her husband, Derrick, and their 2-year-old daughter, Melody, have been in their 3,000 square-foot home here for about three months. They bought it for about $250,000. Just two years ago, amid California's housing boom, the same house sold for nearly $550,000.

"My heart goes out to everybody that lost their home [and] lost their jobs," says Derrick Lepley. "I'm real sympathetic toward them. But the reality for us was, if this didn't happen, we wouldn't be in this situation."

But I can't help but wonder what happened to the former owners.

With the California unemployment rate well into the double digits, and millions of failed and failing mortgages, for those fortunate enough to still have jobs and decent incomes these are indeed good times.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TailoredVagabond

And you're point is?
Like I said, New Labours open border policy has made us reliant on other countries. If some disaster was to befall those countries we rely upon, or our own country, then it's safe to say we would be up the creek without a paddle and that's a fact. It's also absolutely crazy trying to squeeze 80 million people into a country that is so much smaller than most other coutries in the EU. Why aren't countries such as Spain, France, Germany & Portugal not taking in these immigrants? Sorry, open border policies don't work, at least not in the long run. It's suicide, especially when you're being governed by a bunch of idiots.

UN: UK to become biggest country in Europe by 2050
www.visabureau.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Seany

Your analogy is probably a bit off, but that's cool.

You're a "glass is half empty" person and I'm a "glass is half full" person, it's all a matter or perspective.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I agree

At least we can agree on the glass being half

Cheers m8

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In fairness, some of the "gloom-and-doomers" are actually the "One half of the total volume of the glass appears to contain a fluid" types of people, who are just looking at the data and going "Awwww Crap!"

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I will admit their is good news in all this daily gloom based on real reality. I have read where families are doubling up and moving in with each other and hopefully starting to love one another as we should. I asked my son years ago when he was young to look around and tell me what is the most important thing that he could see visually. After naming off several items and agreeing they were important, I simply told him "its the people son". We all cry and we all die but do we love one another and of course the answer is all to obvious. I regret that I myself have so often over looked the fact that if you love your brother and neighbor as we should, much of this gloom would have never happen as it countiues to happen. Crazy what love can do. Trading each other for things that could never bring lasting joy or peace is truly a very sad and lonely ending. A new beginning will occur in due time. What we all inherited will change one day into that which can truly love and not sin. Start now to forgive and seek that which is above and then and only then will we all see with eyes that are not so blinded by so much deception. Their is no deception in love if it is the kind of love that would give its life to save that which was lost.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I have been following a thread that has turned into a big thread with many pages. I enjoyed it at first but it has taken on a different personality than it had originally.

It's as if the main posters are hoping for a financial disaster and seem to ignore the economy when it seems to be gaining. They seem to enjoy reporting bad news.

They also tell us to ignore anything the market does good as it cannot last.

I know we are in for some tough times. But I believe with all my heart that we will survive and come out of this situation a better people.

It seems like the crooks and thieves are being purged from the system.

I will continue to look on the bright side. That in no way suggest I am stupid, blind or in any way sugar coating what is happening.

Negative thoughts are non productive.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Doodling while listening can help with remembering details, rather than implying that the mind is wandering as is the common perception.

According to a study published in the journal Applied Cognitive Psychology, subjects given a doodling task while listening to a dull phone message had a 29% improved recall compared to their non-doodling counterparts.

See, it's not all doom and gloom

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Common Guys Stop Thinking about wats going to happen tommo and live the moment without any guilt everything is gonna be alright trust in + energy

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Ashcool007]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to posts by Ashcool007 (& dizziedame)

...'coz you're gunna need it when you've lost your job, your house and your savings.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

The only reason this forum reads like a disaster movie is because those who state the coming years will be characterized by economic depression have consistently won the debate, largely by virtue of the fact they have backed up their case with masses of data and solid analysis.

If some threads are based around bleak forecasts it's because they are not intended to provide feel-good entertainment. Many specifically come here to get away from the inane entertainment / infotainment, realizing it has lulled them into complacency.

People are free to stick with being entertained. But the cost may well be that there are those in positions of power that will exploit your (*collective*) choice.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join