It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Approves New Controls on Tobacco in United States - Summary

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

I love that quote and i remember it. Im a history buff, so people call me crazy all the time, because im watching whats going on.

They call me crazy because whether you want to admit it or not, everything is in order, the hammer is falling on every single area of control, that led to where that part of the world ended up being.

And people keep saying "Oh come on now dont call Obama a nazi, dont call him a communist, dont call him a Marxist"

Look, im not , im telling you what i see. Im not calling the man anything, im watching what is happening, im being aware of my environment and surroundings, and im seeing some things that are starting to scare me.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Guess they don't care too much about children healthcare insurance if they're trying to control and limit tobacco.

Here in Texas there is a bill where they are trying to make the age of 19 the legal age to buy tobacco products.

I would agree with you except I've one question - is the tobacco tax the SOLE source of funding for children's healthcare insurance or is it just added funding?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

The problem is that no one stands up to it.

And, smokers really can't. We choose to smoke. We don't need to in order to survive. It is dangerous....yadda, yadda, yadda.

Same goes for alcohol, too.

These are taxes that people pay, don't speak up against, and if they do, they are ripped a new one and shamed half to death.

You're absolutely right, and it's a damn shame.

But look at the strategy... what's the first thing they do to any whistleblower/maverick/free-thinker? Discredit them to the point that no one even bothers to listen any longer.

In the case of smokers, they've had long enough lead time to do the job that now, non-smokers view a tobacco user as everything from low class to redneck to hillbilly to punk to loser to disgusting to a thousand and one other negative stereotypes. The picture of a smoker has been so tainted in the public eye, it's quite amazing actually. Look back a short 30 - 40 years ago. Smoking in America was so ubiquitous as to be hardly noticed. Until a few years ago, car lighters and ashtrays were standard equipment. I still occassionally fly in an airplane that has little ashtrays (welded shut now) in the armrests. Even the new planes still have 'No Smoking' signs that can be turned off.

In a few, short decades, we've sucessfully marganilized smokers into the worst creatures who walk the earth. So now, if smokers all rise up in unison (nearly one out of every four adults in this country) their voices still won't be heard, or at least taken seriously. Smokers have already lost the war. As they say, to the victor goes the spoils. Well, the victor pillaged the king's castle, now it's time to rape the peasants.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This was bound to happen sooner or later. A funny thing happened in Washington State about 4 years ago. A local talk show host was railing about a new tax hike on tobacco in the state and fine they were going to place on tobacco firms. He is pontificating that Phillip Morris should stop selling their products in WA that a to avoid the fines. He gets the governor, Gegoire on his show and asks her what she would do if the tobacco firms stopped selling their products in WA. Her response was that she would have the attorney general of WA sue them for anti-trust! When asked why, her response was that the state would be crushed without the tax revenue from cigs.

What a joke.

One thing to check out is if you have Indian reservations in your area or if you have a friend that is near one have him/her get them there and ship them to you. In Washington, they are about 20% of the cost

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Honestly, you think they could maybe find another group to pick on and back off us smokers for a while FFS! Why not tax all vices equally? Tax the booze, the fast food that perpetuates the nations obesity problem. ETC, ETC. Why always the smokers? It's just plain vicious at this point. It burns me that the latest excuse is that the tax will be going to childrens healthcare. If you can't insure a child, don't give birth to one. I AM READY TO START SCREAMING AND NEVER F***** STOP!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

It is just an excuse to justify their agenda.

Sad part is that they steep so low to use the kids to achieve their agenda.
:shk:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
And they call this progress? I call it barbarism.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
Honestly, you think they could maybe find another group to pick on and back off us smokers for a while FFS! Why not tax all vices equally? Tax the booze, the fast food that perpetuates the nations obesity problem. ETC, ETC. Why always the smokers? It's just plain vicious at this point. It burns me that the latest excuse is that the tax will be going to childrens healthcare. If you can't insure a child, don't give birth to one. I AM READY TO START SCREAMING AND NEVER F***** STOP!

Here's a better idea... how about stopping with all of these damn taxes to begin with? Especially ones that divide Americans even further into groups and subgroups, keeping us too shattered to really band together as a unit and stand up to this tyrrany all around us?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by sos37

It is just an excuse to justify their agenda.

Sad part is that they steep so low to use the kids to achieve their agenda.
:shk:

There is a laundry list of freedom-stripping laws and other un-American legislation out there that has been shoved down our throats in the name of "the children." People have been, and seemingly always will be, suckers for that ploy.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
This was bound to happen sooner or later. A funny thing happened in Washington State about 4 years ago. A local talk show host was railing about a new tax hike on tobacco in the state and fine they were going to place on tobacco firms. He is pontificating that Phillip Morris should stop selling their products in WA that a to avoid the fines. He gets the governor, Gegoire on his show and asks her what she would do if the tobacco firms stopped selling their products in WA. Her response was that she would have the attorney general of WA sue them for anti-trust! When asked why, her response was that the state would be crushed without the tax revenue from cigs.

What a joke.

One thing to check out is if you have Indian reservations in your area or if you have a friend that is near one have him/her get them there and ship them to you. In Washington, they are about 20% of the cost

I think the most amazing thing about that story was that the Governor was surprisingly honest.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Originally posted by jackieps1975

Here's a better idea... how about stopping with all of these damn taxes to begin with? Especially ones that divide Americans even further into groups and subgroups, keeping us too shattered to really band together as a unit and stand up to this tyrrany all around us?

Come on now, why would they want to do that Sun Tzu was as accurate as ever in his "Divide and Conquer", and thats exactly what the people that run this country are doing.

It starts with on thing and goes to another, put everyone in a sub class pit them against each other, then sit back and watch it fall while you reap the rewards. Divide and Conquer

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Well of course that would be the ideal but we all know that's never going to happen

Revolution anyone?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

She was honest. When the gent asked her why she would do something that would result in the harm of citizens of Washington, buy not allowing the firms to not sell their products in WA, she really did not have an answer beyond, "we need the money" or something like that

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Imagin howmuch money governments would loose if they removed tax's on Tobacco and Alcohol, its quite amazing.

Hence why they would never ban it altogether, its benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Money > People

Simple really, and im a smoker :p they are becoming very expensive here in the UK recently but they wont make it so expensive its "reserved" for the rich, it gives them far too much money for the government to lose it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I am a smoker, so trust me when I say, I will pay through the nose for that indulgence and lamentfully worry of the day when no amount of money will enable me to enjoy that preferred luxury.

Quit being such a crybaby and grow your own. A $2 pack of seeds can keep you smokin, chewin, dippin for a year or more. That's what I did until I decided to quit. And let me tell you that quitting home grown was a whole lot easier than that chemical laced **** they sell you in the stores.

Quit whining about taxes and take responsibility for your habit!!

You do realize that not everybody lives on farm or has a place to even grow anything? Some of us live in cities.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Realy where do you get seeds?

Check out eBay, search for "tobacco seeds". You can get an entire growing kit for around 6 bucks before shipping.

MBF

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I've red that the cost of ONE pound of tobacco increased a lot... it was 18$ before the tax, now it's 41$ per pound... People have stopped smoking or are trying to buy outside their states. And of course to counter that they've added laws to make it illegal to bring in more than 2 packs of smokes at the same time...

More government control...

I don't know who gave you those figures, but they are full of crap. The last tobacco I sold, I didn't get but about $1.90/lb and the last I heard, it was selling for even less. The cost of tobacco in a cigarettes is less than $.03 per pack. The last figures that I have seen, the tobacco companies were paying three times the cost of the tobacco in legal fees.

MBF

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I always thought it was illegal to grow tobacoo? Unless you supply the industry.. i never asked an offical, but even as an early teen, my friend, he use to ask his grandfatehr, whenever we had questions like these..a old timer who loved fishing. He hd said, in CT, at least its illegal. Feds find out you growing tobacoo, ATF will come and shut you down fast. I dont know how much truth thier is to that though.

Growing tobacco IS legal. I've grown it most of my life. Tobacco has been grown on my farm every year since 1928 until I stopped about 4 years ago. You don't need a license or anything, just seeds.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I don't understand what changed with smoking to demand new government attention? I mean are smokers suddenly breaking into homes, setting courts ablaze, and beating ESL children? Why in an industry that hasn't changed much and been around since before this country originated (and also one of the main reasons this country became successful) is the government now deciding to do a cannon ball right in the middle of? I am a smoker but it makes absolutely no sense. Did cigarettes suddenly get way more powerful, is there hydroponics cigarettes now, are people mixing tobacco and baking soda? I don't understand why the FDA and the Federal Government suddenly gets to jump on this industry and on my right to make my own choices.

However, it's good thing. Jack up the prices to $50. Pretty soon Cigarettes will be more expensive than pot and I'll just smoke more untaxed patriotic marijuana. Everyone wins in that scenario except the kids, but like the government really gives a # about them anyway.

[edit on 3-4-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

MBF

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Here's a better idea... how about stopping with all of these damn taxes to begin with?

Now, if they do that, who will pay all those million dollar bonuses to all those nice CEO's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join