It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Approves New Controls on Tobacco in United States - Summary

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

House Approves New Controls on Tobacco in United States - Summary

www.earthtimes.org

The US House of Representatives on Thursday approved tougher anti-smoking controls in the United States, for the first time granting a government agency the power to regulate tobacco products. The House voted 298-112 to hand the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) control over advertising and even the contents of cigarettes, though it does not allow the agency to ban tobacco outright.

The bill has been hailed as a major victory by anti-smoking groups who have been pushing for years for an FDA role. But the legislation will still have to pass a more-skeptical Senate before reaching the desk of President Barack Obama, himself an occasional smoker who has spoken of his struggles to quit.

The new regulations come after Congress dramatically increased federal taxes on cigarettes earlier this year from 39 cents per pack to 1.01 dollars per pack, as part of a bill expanding children's health insurance.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Here we go....first the heavy hammer of a huge tax increase yesterday and now this today.

It goes to the Senate next, where it faces a tougher fight.

Tax the hell out of smokers to pay for children's health care, then pass this bill lobbied by people who don't want people to smoke.

Let's just regulate everything and oversee everything so that people don't have to make choices for themselves. Americans are losing their freedoms and more importantly, their sense of personal responsibility every day.

It is sad.

www.earthtimes.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Guess they don't care too much about children healthcare insurance if they're trying to control and limit tobacco.

Here in Texas there is a bill where they are trying to make the age of 19 the legal age to buy tobacco products.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

That's what I wonder.

They make us pay all these taxes to support children's healthcare on the one hand, and the other hand is trying to regulate tobacco and tax it to the point where no one can afford it.

It makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It makes sense to me...threaten the very existence of something people are dependent upon for enjoyment and then make them pay through the nose to be able to keep enjoying it.

It's called extortion. It appears to work real well too!

I am a smoker, so trust me when I say, I will pay through the nose for that indulgence and lamentfully worry of the day when no amount of money will enable me to enjoy that preferred luxury.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
They should put a tax on having kids say $2000 a kid would work just fine and anyone who doesnt pay it goes to jail. Maybe it would lessen the strian on the welfair system and put a stop to kids having kids in urban areas. I've seen it first hand some of these nimrods have 6-7-8 kids and there on welfair with no intention of working. They just have another kid so they can get more assistance.

And.....what about fat people? go after them too. If smokers are gonna be singled out and harresed why should the other groups be exempt?

I'm sure fat people cause more strain on the health care system then smokers. Fat poeple are at high risk for stroke heart failure diabetes just as much if not more so then smokers and theres more of them.

If you ask me the whole anitsmoking tax thing is BS it's just a way for government to increase revinew and look good doing it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I am a smoker, so trust me when I say, I will pay through the nose for that indulgence and lamentfully worry of the day when no amount of money will enable me to enjoy that preferred luxury.

Quit being such a crybaby and grow your own. A $2 pack of seeds can keep you smokin, chewin, dippin for a year or more. That's what I did until I decided to quit. And let me tell you that quitting home grown was a whole lot easier than that chemical laced **** they sell you in the stores.

Quit whining about taxes and take responsibility for your habit!!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Quit being such a crybaby and grow your own. A $2 pack of seeds can keep you smokin, chewin, dippin for a year or more. That's what I did until I decided to quit. And let me tell you that quitting home grown was a whole lot easier than that chemical laced **** they sell you in the stores.

Quit whining about taxes and take responsibility for your habit!!Realy where do you get seeds?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I've red that the cost of ONE pound of tobacco increased a lot... it was 18$ before the tax, now it's 41$ per pound... People have stopped smoking or are trying to buy outside their states. And of course to counter that they've added laws to make it illegal to bring in more than 2 packs of smokes at the same time...

More government control...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Actually, I don't believe for one second that ANY of the money will go to 'heath care' of ANY kind.

It will go to administrators, bureaucrats, contracted agencies, and marketing... but it is very unlikely that a single child will benefit from the tax they intend to collect.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Here ya go....

www.seedman.com...

They have some wonderful, flavorful varieties. Fast growing and beautiful plants.
Just don't over water them.

I find it astonishing that people would rather pay for smokes and bitch about taxes than take some personal responsibility and get your hands dirty and actually do something about it. Jeezus...

You can make your own beer and wine too; and save a bundle. It's not rocket science!
Quit being so lazy!!

[edit on 2-4-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
.........whats that i hear? Jackboots? I think it is, i mean why not the government and the people in house are trying to control everything.

Hold on while i burn some money in my fireplace because its not worth anything. . . . .

This seems oddly familiar...........hmmm do people NOT read history books anymore?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I love my chemicals! If it doesn't have Red Dye No. 5 in it, and monosodium glutinate and at least two words that no one at the National Spelling Bee contest including the judges can pronounce I just refuse to take the chance on it!

More seriously I don't think South Florida is suitable to harvesting Tobacco and I lack the acerage and faclities to cure it properly.

I actually don't mind paying the tax on cigarettes, gasoline and anything they can get me for at the cash registers. It's all the other Federal Taxes I am against.

It is though a great idea for people to grow there own, when and where it's feasible.

If someone could tell me how to grow my own coca-cola I would truly be grateful!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The gun control crowd is going to follow this same playbook to the letter. They're already building their case, laying the groundwork. Give it a few months, and if the "Mexican gun pipeline" fairytale doesn't gain any traction, there'll be a few more "tragic shootings" in the headlines to push the agenda.

Didn't mean to derail, I'm just amazed how blind the average person is to this manipulation. I mean hell, they don't even try to hide what they are up to anymore. This new legislation coming on the heals of the tax increase is such a bold move, they don't even care anymore. They're flaunting their disrespect for us right in our faces... laughing that we "voted" them into these positions of power and wealth.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

The problem is that no one stands up to it.

And, smokers really can't. We choose to smoke. We don't need to in order to survive. It is dangerous....yadda, yadda, yadda.

Same goes for alcohol, too.

These are taxes that people pay, don't speak up against, and if they do, they are ripped a new one and shamed half to death.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Ah, Skeptic1, you hit the nail on the head !

They want to fund these kid programs, with the higher taxes from those
that smoke. ( They want revenue ).

But they tax the source of the revenue into non-existence.

So then they'll have less and less money to fund the programs.
( Doesn't make too much sense )

They're not asking all citizens to pay taxes to fund these programs, just
smokers ! And they're not raising taxes on all citizens, just smokers !

Is this fair ?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
skeptic1,

I'm afraid you just don't understand. See, we need the government to make decisions like whether or not to smoke for us. Why? Well, obviously it's because you might choose to smoke and thereby hurt yourself. See, people make dumb decisions, it's not their fault, they're just not smart enough to make the right decisions. Yeah, yeah, I know, "We're all created equal" but you and I both know that's not true. Let's face it, if those on the bottom were equal to those on the top then why would they be on the bottom?

Sure, freedom of choice is great and all but we can't have people running around doing whatever they want. Freedom is better when we have the government to make sure that the options we have to choose from are all the safe and right options to choose. It's like the election, if we didn't have the government there to choose the right people for us to choose from we might do something stupid like elect someone like Ron Paul who would do nothing but cause trouble.

People don't know what they want, they're like children, as long as they think it's their decision they'll want to do it, you just have to direct them to the proper decision.

It's confusing, I know, but it's not your fault, we can't all be on the same level as world leaders. You just don't have the experience or education to fully grasp the concept of the governance of a populace. However, if you still disagree please do write a letter and fill out a form or two, it will be expedited to the proper people as soon as possible.

"We'd love to hear from you, your opinion matters!"

(this has been my sarcastic simulation of a condescending elitist's response to your thread)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMaskThis seems oddly familiar...........hmmm do people NOT read history books anymore?

Did they ever? The same damn tactics work every time... why bother to change strategy? They know that the masses don't read... and since they control the curriculum in public schools, they ensure that our kids' heads are just as empty as their parents.

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

That was written in 1955 by a man who bought into the rhetoric of Nazi Germany, only to realize too late how wrong he was. The Second World War was fairly recent history... people living today who personally witnessed these things... and we STILL don't get it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

More seriously I don't think South Florida is suitable to harvesting Tobacco

Actually South Florida is ideal. Not that far from Cuba where the absolute finest tobacco is grown appreciated by connoisseurs world wide.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I always thought it was illegal to grow tobacoo? Unless you supply the industry.. i never asked an offical, but even as an early teen, my friend, he use to ask his grandfatehr, whenever we had questions like these..a old timer who loved fishing. He hd said, in CT, at least its illegal. Feds find out you growing tobacoo, ATF will come and shut you down fast. I dont know how much truth thier is to that though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join